Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: On a scale of 1 to 10  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, how would you rate your walleye fishing skills and why? I will give mine a 3, mainly because I can catch them in the winter and early open water season, but from about mid July to ice up I really stink at it. I read all these articles about Dog Days fishing and fall fishing, do this, do that, fish with this, fish with that, try these types of areas, try those types of areas. So I try all that and nothing seems to work. Thought I might even have some expert help this fall. There is a guy that rents the house next to me for one week in October for the last eight years. We refer to him as "the walleye guy" because he comes up strictly to fish the big ones in the fall, 28 + inchers, he's rather good at it. Usually has someone with him. He came alone this year so he asked me if I could drive his truck back from the access for him. I thought this was my chance to find out what he does. He gave me a complete run down on everything. What he uses, how he modifies it, what he uses it one and what he tips it with, how he fishes it, even five areas he fishes. He even gave me a handful of what he uses, says he has plenty because he buys it in bulk. I took all that info and spent the last two and a half weeks fishing the areas he told me along with some other spots. Not a single walleye. Some small pike, some perch, and some crappies. Really disappointed in my results. I enjoy fishing. It's the catching part that I really suck at.  :banghead:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
                    Open water fishing.

Pay your dues (time on the water).
Try to focus on a limited amount of lakes.
Hire a guide and ask questions and tell him to watch you and give his input.
Might try joining local fishing club.
Try to add a fishing partner or 2 in your boat. 3 lines can search for fish and patterns much faster.
Don't get antsy and run & gun all day.
Knowledge and confidence is the key to successful fishing.
Learn to separate the bs from facts.
Always have live bait on hand. 75% of walleyes are caught on live bait.
Learn your electronics and study structure maps.
Keep a fishing log: wind direction, water temp, date, best spots of the day, and more...

"On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, how would you rate your walleye fishing skills and why?"

Let's just say  :reporter; .... "I NEVER HAVE TO DRIVE HOME THROUGH THE ALLEY!" :Fish: :Fish: :Fish:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10/24/15, 02:14:59 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
sooooooo thats a 2 then?
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I usually count on being lucky.  I have little skill, just drag some bait on the bottom or what ever.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
If I had to fish for walleye for supper I would be in trouble! I would give myself a 1 but if I am fishing in the BWCA then I would jump up to a five. I have always done well on our trips up there as we would fish for smallmouth during the day and walleye at dusk for supper. Of course like Lee I used to hit the same lakes over and over and I think I have them figured out, at least for supper fish.. Locally I can catch fish on the river but that Is more luck then anything.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 We should try to fish Osakis together sometime next summer. Fishin eyes on these prairie lakes is so different than the Nothern shield lakes!! I used to fish the lake 2-3 times a year till 2013, An I am rarin to get back to it while the ole girl visits relitives up that way. I do have some sunfish spots I concentrate on more so than eyes.The eyes, I get all we want on Diamond ( I think the general may verify Diamond is good) Find em where most dont fish cause most say they are always on the flats,In the rocks etc.>>>>BAH HUMBUG!!
 We'd have to be in my little 14ft lund and you can bring 1 leach, no other bait leaches only.
 North lakes for eyes for me a 3 unless its spring!!! prairie lakes much more than 2 all open water season.
« Last Edit: October 10/24/15, 05:57:03 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
We should try to fish Osakis together sometime next summer. Fishin eyes on these prairie lakes is so different than the Nothern shield lakes!! I used to fish the lake 2-3 times a year till 2013, An I am rarin to get back to it while the ole girl visits relitives up that way. I do have some sunfish spots I concentrate on more so than eyes.The eyes, I get all we want on Diamond ( I think the general may verify Diamond is good) Find em where most dont fish cause most say they are always on the flats,In the rocks etc.>>>>BAH HUMBUG!!
 We'd have to be in my little 14ft lund and you can bring 1 leach, no other bait leaches only.
 North lakes for eyes for me a 3 unless its spring!!! prairie lakes much more than 2 all open water season.
If we manage to hook up next summer we'll use my boat. Alumacraft Tournament Pro 185, more room.