Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Deer population recovering  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
DNR: Increased  :Deer: kill indicates deer population recovering

Dec 13, 2015

Success varied widely across Northeastern Minnesota during the state’s recent firearms deer hunt, but state wildlife officials say the increased deer kill indicates the deer population is beginning to rebound.

“Overall, people were happier than last year,” said Dave Olfelt, regional wildlife manager for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in Grand Rapids. “The numbers were up in just about every permit area, but not all.”

Across Northeastern Minnesota in Series 100 permit areas, according to preliminary figures, the overall harvest was up about 11 percent, according to the DNR. The buck harvest, generally considered the most reliable population indicator, was up 18 percent across Series 100 units, according to the DNR. The firearms season ran from Nov. 7 to 22.

“I’m pleased,” said Craig Engwall, executive director of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. “I think the numbers are solid and about where we had hoped.”

Northern Minnesota’s deer population has been recovering from recent severe winters and several years of more liberal harvest strategies.

“People ask, ‘Are you happy?’ No. We’re not where we want to be. But we’re encouraged,” said Tom Rusch, DNR area wildlife manager at Tower. “You don’t get there in one year.”

Deer registrations were up 19.4 percent in Rusch’s work area, and the buck kill was up nearly 17 percent, he said.

In the DNR’s Grand Rapids work area, Perry Loegering said the buck harvest generally was up from 10 to 20 percent, and as high 30 percent in permit area 169 north of Grand Rapids.

“It seemed like there were a fair number of mature bucks taken,” Loegering said. “(Some of) the bucks that were shot, they made it through the two tough winters and were still around.”

Good weather allowed hunters to remain in their stands longer than in some years, and that contributed to the increased harvest, officials said.

“I’m encouraged by the indicators of recovery,” Rusch said. “From what I’m hearing anecdotally, people are seeing more antlerless deer and we’re seeing improvement in the buck harvest, particularly yearling bucks, which is a sign of recovery.”

Rusch also is hearing from hunters in his work area who say an improvement over 2014’s very low deer harvest isn’t much to shout about.

“They’re right,” Rusch said. “With bucks-only regulations, hunter success ranges from 15 to 20 percent, depending on the permit area. That means only one in six or seven put venison in the freezer in 2015. That’s tough hunting. Barring an extreme winter, that will change next deer season.”

The mild start to this winter is a good thing, wildlife managers say. Deer are under little stress and are still feeding on green vegetation, though there is no guarantee of mild conditions the rest of the season.

“We’re well positioned to get the deer herd a lot healthier,” said MDHA’s Engwall.

The Legislative Auditor is preparing an audit evaluating the DNR’s management of deer statewide. That audit, requested by legislators, is due in coming months.

“Once we get the legislative audit, we can sit down with the DNR and look at a statewide deer management plan,” Engwall said.

Dec 13, 2015

Success varied widely across Northeastern Minnesota during the state’s recent firearms deer hunt, but state wildlife officials say the increased deer kill indicates the deer population is beginning to rebound.

“Overall, people were happier than last year,” said Dave Olfelt, regional wildlife manager for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in Grand Rapids. “The numbers were up in just about every permit area, but not all.”

Across Northeastern Minnesota in Series 100 permit areas, according to preliminary figures, the overall harvest was up about 11 percent, according to the DNR. The buck harvest, generally considered the most reliable population indicator, was up 18 percent across Series 100 units, according to the DNR. The firearms season ran from Nov. 7 to 22.

“I’m pleased,” said Craig Engwall, executive director of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. “I think the numbers are solid and about where we had hoped.”

Northern Minnesota’s deer population has been recovering from recent severe winters and several years of more liberal harvest strategies.

“People ask, ‘Are you happy?’ No. We’re not where we want to be. But we’re encouraged,” said Tom Rusch, DNR area wildlife manager at Tower. “You don’t get there in one year.”

Deer registrations were up 19.4 percent in Rusch’s work area, and the buck kill was up nearly 17 percent, he said.

In the DNR’s Grand Rapids work area, Perry Loegering said the buck harvest generally was up from 10 to 20 percent, and as high 30 percent in permit area 169 north of Grand Rapids.

“It seemed like there were a fair number of mature bucks taken,” Loegering said. “(Some of) the bucks that were shot, they made it through the two tough winters and were still around.”

Good weather allowed hunters to remain in their stands longer than in some years, and that contributed to the increased harvest, officials said.

“I’m encouraged by the indicators of recovery,” Rusch said. “From what I’m hearing anecdotally, people are seeing more antlerless deer and we’re seeing improvement in the buck harvest, particularly yearling bucks, which is a sign of recovery.”

Rusch also is hearing from hunters in his work area who say an improvement over 2014’s very low deer harvest isn’t much to shout about.

“They’re right,” Rusch said. “With bucks-only regulations, hunter success ranges from 15 to 20 percent, depending on the permit area. That means only one in six or seven put venison in the freezer in 2015. That’s tough hunting. Barring an extreme winter, that will change next deer season.”

The mild start to this winter is a good thing, wildlife managers say. Deer are under little stress and are still feeding on green vegetation, though there is no guarantee of mild conditions the rest of the season.

“We’re well positioned to get the deer herd a lot healthier,” said MDHA’s Engwall.

The Legislative Auditor is preparing an audit evaluating the DNR’s management of deer statewide. That audit, requested by legislators, is due in coming months.

“Once we get the legislative audit, we can sit down with the DNR and look at a statewide deer management plan,” Engwall said.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/14/15, 03:46:49 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I would say the same for our area.  Things appeared to bottom out last year when deer were scarce. This followed a couple years of rapid decline.  I still don't know what to attribute the decline from 2012 - 2014 to however, there appears to be a noticeable increase in 2015.  This was noted by more deer sightings during bow, gun and muzzleloader seasons as well as trail camera pictures and general sign in the woods.  Being somewhat encouraged by this recover we decided to not shoot any does this year. The weather has been great so far this year as the deer are still able to access abundant food on the ground and have not been forced to only browse brush. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***