Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Love um or hate um question?  (Read 6421 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 Survey captures anglers' feelings about Chain catfish

March 18 2016

:coffee: .......
Channel catfish have fared well since their introduction in the Sauk River Chain of Lakes west of St. Cloud. The fish represent a unique opportunity for some anglers :happy1: and an annoyance for others.  :taz:

Channel catfish in the Sauk River Chain of Lakes between Richmond and Cold Spring seem to elicit polarized responses from anglers. When it comes to catfish, some swear by them and some swear :censored: at them.

:police: ......
The DNR Sauk Rapids Area Fisheries office recently completed both winter and summer angler surveys, and the results speak to the contrasting views anglers have of these fish. I emailed with DNR Area Fisheries Supervisor Joe Stewig to learn some of the preliminary results, as well as ask a few questions. :scratch:

Horseshoe and Cedar Island lakes within the Sauk River Chain were stocked with channel catfish from 1976 to 1988 to create angling opportunities and to help reduce bullhead numbers. The riverine nature of the reservoir’s habitat has helped the catfish flourish. The Sauk River Chain as a whole saw channel catfish gill net catches increase from 15.1 in 2003 to 27.4 in 2013.

Catfish have moved upstream :Fish: :Fish: :Fish: into Long, North Brown’s, Eden and Mud/Vails. “At some point,” Stewig told me, “we expect the population will reach equilibrium.” For now it continues to grow.

Anglers on the Sauk Chain during the 2014-2015 winter angler survey and 2015 open water survey lined up surprisingly antithetical when asked about channel catfish.

:reporter; ...Anglers were asked “how do you feel about channel catfish in the Sauk River Chain of Lakes: are they good, bad, or do you have no opinion?” Of winter anglers, 31 percent responded “good” compared with 40 percent of summer anglers; 40 percent of winter anglers responded “bad” compared with 37 percent of summer anglers; and 28 percent of winter anglers and 23 percent of summer anglers reported no opinion.

During both surveys, followup questions were asked of anglers that were not fishing for channel catfish. These anglers were asked if catching catfish added to or detracted from their fishing experience. A nearly perfect split answered that it either added to or detracted from their experience.

Catfish in the Sauk Chain bedevil :puke: some and are beloved :bow: by others.

:popcorn: ....
Stewig acknowledges that the catfish are an accessory, not the going fish in the Sauk Chain. Both the summer and winter angler surveys showed crappie and sunfish as being the most popular species sought, caught and harvested. Walleye and channel catfish were the next most popular, but still not caught nor harvested as much as crappies and sunfish.

Anglers concerned about catfish competing with more popular species should take note — channel catfish are omnivorous, and Stewig believes the fish are indirect competitors. Stewig reports that the Sauk Rapids office has collected channel catfish stomach contents and hopes to investigate diet as staff time allows in the future.

A fringe of the angling public has latched on to the great catfish angling on the Sauk Chain. “I think with the advancement of social media and fishing forums,” Stewig noted, “more and more anglers are seeing how unique this fishery is and making the trek to give it a shot. In 1999, during a summer angler survey on Horseshoe and Cedar Island, only 4 percent of interviewed anglers were targeting channel catfish as opposed to 17 percent in 2015.”

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 03/24/16, 08:12:03 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
holy smokes Lee, that's out my back door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't fish the chain much!! may start to now since we no longer have the camper!! the article is pretty accurate depending on who you take to. some love them some hate them. I know people drive a long ways to fish them. there fun to catch not a fan of eating them.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Glenn57 those cats the size in the picture are great to eat!!!  First make sure you bleed them, cutting their throat before you fillet them, if they are bigger than that make sure you cut the dark meat off the skin side and any yellow fat.  If deep fried only use a cornmeal based coating, " Andy's Red" if my favorite for catfish. http://www.andysseasoning.com/?wpsc-product=andys-red-fish-breading.   One of my favorite ways though is to bring the turkey fryer burner along and make pan blackend catfish right on shore.  You need a old cast iron skillet, put on the burner on high till the center gets red hot.  Coat your catfish fillet with Chef Paul's Redfish magic.  Throw on the skillet it takes less than a min on each side and does it smoke... serve with rice and beans. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
corny............I had a bad experience with catfish............maybe cause it was from red lobster. the 2 I did catch I smoked. it was ok considering I have eaten like a billion smoked bullheads in my like.

yea I have since learned its all in how you clean them. until I have someone actually show me it will remain on a maybe list. I know the boat place/bait shop closest to the chain has a day they do a catfish seminar so to say. ya go catch kitties, bring them in they show you how to clean, fry them up and chow!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've also been told that a fair group of people put the cats in a tub of fresh water for a day so they clean up so to speak!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey glenn, cat good!! :happy1: ;D :happybounce:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Umm numm...my Dad and I used to deep- fry up pails of those and bullheads in beer batter. We'd have huge platters of 'em, and eat every last one!!  :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so agree, now they say you can clean like a walleye or northern, never did that!! but sure eat them!!  even cut steaks from the big ones and clean the fat lines ect. :happy1:

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
corny............I had a bad experience with catfish............maybe cause it was from red lobster. the 2 I did catch I smoked. it was ok considering I have eaten like a billion smoked bullheads in my like.

yea I have since learned its all in how you clean them. until I have someone actually show me it will remain on a maybe list. I know the boat place/bait shop closest to the chain has a day they do a catfish seminar so to say. ya go catch kitties, bring them in they show you how to clean, fry them up and chow!!!!!

I've had two bad expriences from red lobster. You won't ever see me in one of those again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

I've had two bad expriences from red lobster. You won't ever see me in one of those again

What was her name?  :rotflmao:

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Pukey McShrimp Crab. Is that an ok female name??

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is she related to Porcelana, the bowl girl?    "Shell give you crabs!!!"  :rotflmao:    :puke:
« Last Edit: January 01/13/17, 08:32:34 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline lovebigbluegills

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I meant "she'll".   Had a boar moment there.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I lived in Stillwater I had a houseboat and spent the weekends fishing for cats.  Man I enjoyed that.  The biggest was 42 lbs.  That was a flathead.  Of course let them go after a picture.  I ate channels if they were under 8 lbs or so.  I just filleted them like a walleye.  I smoked them and they turned out great.  Kind of oily so that kept them from drying out.  Then I would freeze them until needed.  I would take them to hunting and fishing trips with my buddies and they were gobbled right up.  I called them St. Croix salmon. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And I have always wondered why there aren't any catfish in this Rainy River area???

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i used to fish channels alot, fished selkirk one time. 3 of us caught over 700 lbsin a day at the dam, my biggest was 30 lbs. the small ones are delicious if done right like corney says.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So is that Sauk River big enough to boat in???

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So is that Sauk River big enough to boat in???
depending on boat size but from cold spring to Richmond it is along the horseshoe chain.