Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 932635 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can't go wrong with kabobs!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks great Sharon,  we do kaboobs quite often!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll see your kaboobers Sharon (-1) and raise ya a few bacon wrapped taters! 2 beef and 1 chicken.. :happy1:  Gotta have leftovers this away.
« Last Edit: June 06/09/24, 06:20:16 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'll see your kaboobers Sharon (-1) and raise ya a few bacon wrapped taters! 2 beef and 1 chicken.. :happy1:  Gotta have leftovers this away.
:hubba: :hubba: damn those look good! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yes dey do!!!    :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Aldi New York Strip...

Welp, we tried this New York Strip, Aldi Flat Iron steak (no pics), and Aldi Ribeye (posted earlier), and here is the verdict...
  • The Flat Iron edged out the New York Strip for first place.  Every bite was tender and juicy and there was no waste.  It was just the right portion size.
  • This New York Strip was second.  It was a full 1 1/2 inches thick, which allowed me to put a good sear on and still cook it to medium rare.  I was stuffed after eating this one.
  • The Ribeye was good, but too much fat to trim.
Meat is expensive these days and way too many steaks you get at the grocery store have no flavor.  I use this marinade:  1/4 c. oil, 1/4 c. soy sauce, a Tbsp. or 2 of catchup, a couple of cloves of garlic, a Tsp. or 2 of black pepper, and a splash of vinegar.

All of Aldi steaks were better than the local (unnamed) grocery store.   :happy1:
« Last Edit: June 06/10/24, 08:10:06 AM by Steve-o »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Aldi New York Strip...

Welp, we tried this New York Strip, Aldi Flat Iron steak (no pics), and Aldi Ribeye (posted earlier), and here is the verdict...
  • The Flat Iron edged out the New York Strip for first place.  Every bite was tender and juicy and there was no waste.  It was just the right portion size.
  • This New York Strip was second.  It was a full 1 1/2 inches thick, which allowed me to put a good sear on and still cook it to medium rare.  I was stuffed after eating this one.
  • The Ribeye was good, but too much fat to trim.
Meat is expensive these days and way too many steaks you get at the grocery store have no flavor.  I use this marinade:  1/4 c. oil, 1/4 c. soy sauce, a Tbsp. or 2 of catchup, a couple of cloves of garlic, a Tsp. or 2 of black pepper, and a splash of vinegar.

All of Aldi steaks were better than the local (unnamed) grocery store.   :happy1:
But you didn't add a cost to Oz comparison in your review.  Which one cost the most?   :scratch:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I like the top sirloin from Aldi's too... 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
But you didn't add a cost to Oz comparison in your review.  Which one cost the most?   :scratch:
Not sure...  My wife buys 'em, I cook 'em.

I like the top sirloin from Aldi's too... 
We'll defiantly give these a try too.

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Honestly wasn't aware Aldi had steak, never been in one. Am I missing something? I heard about the weird cart/quarter thing. Someone told me the produce is good.  :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Honestly wasn't aware Aldi had steak, never been in one. Am I missing something? I heard about the weird cart/quarter thing. Someone told me the produce is good.  :confused:

John just like any store some will like it some will not...   at first I was very hesitant to go there...   but I did and have no regrets...   the fresh pizza is great too..  once you get used to having a quarter in your pocket all is good..  some girl scout type cookies are there too, at over 1/2 the price less... 

also you have bring your own bags and bag the stuff too...   no big deal...   
« Last Edit: June 06/10/24, 10:58:48 AM by mike89 »

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

John just like any store some will like it some will not...   at first I was very hesitant to go there...   but I did and have no regrets...   the fresh pizza is great too..  once you get used to having a quarter in your pocket all is good..  some girl scout type cookies are there too, at over 1/2 the price less...

Hmm, maybe I will have to stop in one and check it out, I have one close to my house in Blaine.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Aldi items can be miss and hit.  Try 'em and decide for yourself.  When we have the time we go to Aldi first and then the other store for what Aldi didn't have.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We get just about all our produce from the Aldi in GR, it's much better than what Super 1 & WM has. Bread, milk, breakfast cereal, & sometimes some steaks there as well. Like mike said their Momma Cozzi's pizza is good too. I don't think we've really found anything we buy there that we don't like.  :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's been a long time since I've been in an Aldis and ot was in st cloud. Unless they cleaned that place up I ain't buying food there.

Offline Sharon

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Made cheeseburgers on the grill last night and they were excellent with the cheese melted a little before pulling them off the grill! 😋😋🍔🍔
~ Sometimes you must create your own destiny, instead of simply living out your fate. ~

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
It's been a long time since I've been in an Aldis and ot was in st cloud. Unless they cleaned that place up I ain't buying food there.
There's a clean brand new one off 15 across from the Walmart in Sartell.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

The one in Owatonna looks a little suspect. Doesn't seem to be a lot of cars parked in the lot... :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I got 10 different food stores  well before I get to that one, I'll pass, not worth the gas. Not a fan of off brand products besides   :pouty:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

from what I hear the St. Cloud location is over run by certain folks and not the cleanest...  seen the one in Sartell too..  in a nice area...   

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I got 10 different food stores  well before I get to that one, I'll pass, not worth the gas. Not a fan of off brand products besides   :pouty:
Well and plus the 5 finger discount you get at work!  :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

plus the 10 percent discount!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I get quite a few things at Aldi. They have the lowest price for ribs when on sale. BUT.....I won't buy chips there. Got a bag home and they were all crushed. Also last week bought a box of Raisin Bran there. Got home and opened it and not 1 raisin in the whole box. Not buying that there anymore.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Ok so somehow I missed this. Bobber does wrapping bacon around whole potatoes do anything for the potato or just to have with them? Never heard of anyone doing that before.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :confused: :pouty: yea the guy ruins all kinds of food with bacon  :confused: :bonk: :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yuppers!! 

just had a grilled bacon cheddar burger for lunch!!!!   :happy1:

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
:confused: :pouty: yea the guy ruins all kinds of food with bacon  :confused: :bonk: :rotflmao:

Glenn with your palate I don't you get to be a food critic.  :rotflmao:

I am fully aware bacon makes everything better, just didn't think it would do anything through the tatter skin.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I sometimes wonder if your part Somalian..lol!!

Ok so somehow I missed this. Bobber does wrapping bacon around whole potatoes do anything for the potato or just to have with them? Never heard of anyone doing that before.
Not really sure John,  been doing it for years. Used to always wrap in bacon then foil it to let the tater cook in the grease,  now I've just skipped the foil. I always slice the spud, add everything and eat the skin and all. That way you get fresh bacon in every bite.
« Last Edit: June 06/11/24, 03:15:21 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
do you pre-cook the taters at all??