Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: No Nitrate,Nitrite Just a salt cure pork  (Read 1778 times)

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
This method has been done for as long as humans found salt2000-3000 years back. Prosciutto is a leg of pork, BUT loins and any part can be done the same method,Salt is a cure! Nitrate, nitrite absent.
 I do one or 2 every year.The first few were salty but with time you can learn when to rinse salt off and develop a taste you like,Including a spice/herb rub for flavor.I suggest to start small like a 1/2 loin then when confident advance to a who;e leg. It takes TIME 1 year minimum of hanging for a decent taste.Take the time! you'll be surprized  of just how good you can cure a meat!
 At this time I have 2 hanging 2 -21/2  years old, the older the more enzymes break down the cellular structure of the meat making it tastier! The Temps dont harm em! I had Italian neighbors in the 60s who helped me learn Prosciutto,Lardo,Pancetta.Pepperoni and other curing/pickeling old time natural methods.
 Salt is a preservative and cure changing meat cellular structure. Just like old timers curing salt Pork for longevity when refrigeration was not even heard of!
 Heres a site with great instructions remember start small!!! You may over salt like I did when starting my own in 1973
http://www.themanual.com/food-and-drink/how-to-cure-prosciutto-at-home/
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
very interesting process.  I can barely wait two weeks. thanks for posting that tho,
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"