Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Beaver trappin  (Read 2035 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Been out beaver trappin a bit. Not much bout half a dozen traps. Averageing bout 50% but one lodge is causeing problems. Got one big beaver and now they are moving my traps w/o firing them. Good thing they aren't firing the traps. It's starting to get on my nerves as now I'll have to switch to footholds, snares or baiting my coni's. None of wich I care for as it's a pain. These beaver are worth an extra $100 a piece too so make it even more bothersome.

Anyone know a faster simpler way to set for these. The ice is only bout an inch thick all around the lodge and feed pile too. Can't just walk around there where ever either.

Here was the first days take.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
hey griz you ever tryed snaring bevers yet ?
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes I've snared them on land, in water and under the ice. Land I can do a decent job, under water ain't so bad, under the ice is a real pain and not a specialty of mine. Maybe you could give me a few pointers. I think my problem is with getting the snares stable.

I did get 2 nice pale blakets out of there today. Yesterday when I ran them I moved the traps over out of the run toward the side they were moving and fenced off the run. Worked for 2 of them, hopefully that fixed my problem for the rest. I had to dig a little trence for the 330 to fit in as there wasn't room between the bottom and ice for a trap.

Being Otter are relatively new to my area I don't have much experience with them. I have a lodge that the otter have been keeping an open hole by. By the size of the large and fresh feed pile it appears a number of beaver are still there. My ? is are the otter just there to dine on beaver or are the beaver gone and the otter taken up residence at the lodge. I figured the best way to trap beaver there is with a baited set not right in the runnway, to avoid an otter catch.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson