Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Food Plots planted!  (Read 4235 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well I did get them planted before August.  While I sat here and mapped out the plots, I just realized that I missed one while planting today.  Dammit, I guess I will just have to get some turnips and hand plant that one.  On the ones that had a good stand of clover I just use fertilizer and over seeded with a few annuals.  Some plots are just annuals (beans, radish, oats, turnips) so I don't mix in any perennials such as clover. 

This is the bean plot with some oats mixed in for good measure.  I sprayed it two weeks ago, planted it today and then mowed the dead stubble.  I hope the dead vegetation will provide cover to help the beans germinate.  Time will tell.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Deadeye looks great, I just sprayed earlier this week a new plot first one I've planted in a number of years... so next weekend plan to take the new 6' rototiller to it.  Its about a acre in size.  Thinking Ill just plant winter rye in it.  Want something green in Oct/nov.   Do you think its too late to plant turnips and radishes in it?   What are you expecting of beans this late won't they just die as soon as it frosts??

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
corny13
No, its not too late to plant turnips. Plenty time to plant winter rye.  I can be optimistic and assume we wont get a killing frost until the middle of October.  If I don't get any beans, they will have the plants to munch on in the main time.  I also mixed in a few other products so if the beans don't make it, maybe the other stuff will.

I took this picture on August 5th last year.  These beans were planted late July.  The did have a bean crop and the deer loved it.

Here's a picture of deer in this been field on December 31, 2015

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We tilled the plots 6 weeks ago and planted them.  Corn and beans in the open fields and just tilled the smaller kill plots in the trees.  The big main plots were rr corn last year and we're extremely weedy before spraying.  They didn't have as many weeds this year before spraying.  A couple more years and there will be far fewer weeds.  The deer cleaned the corn of every curnal by the end of January.  We will be spraying and planting winter rye in august if we ever get all the trees cut up that are on the trails (over 100).   
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
June 11th.  Plot on the back end off our land. Winter wheat or winter rye.  I don't remember for sure.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07/30/16, 11:21:01 PM by dakids »

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Main food plot July 3rd    RR corn for second year

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
July 10th. RR beans.  Deer are pounding the little beans.  Might have to plant again.

I sprayed them last weekend and will add more pictures next week.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Corn and  bean plot.  Corn is planted east and west while the beans were planted north and south

« Last Edit: July 07/30/16, 11:40:27 PM by dakids »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What does RR mean?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Aha!  Thanks.  My clover and turnips are coming up.  I also have a couple of does and fawns at my mineral block near the food plot in my spruces. 

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Our beans are getting hammered every  night by 2 does and 3 fawns.   It's a good thing we have over 2 acres.   

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I didn't put out any exclusion cages.  Had a hard time finding a plant that wasn't nipped off.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good idea dakids.  I had in the past put out some fencing to see how much the deer affect the plots.  I think i will do it again just for fun.