Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: "Humpies" or Pink Salmon Run  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
If you are headed up to the north shore this week, stop by the Gooseberry River or other streams near it for the anual  humpy run.  These salmon are thick right now in the Gooseberry.  They spawn and die quickly so only keep the fresh run or "green" ones.  They are good to brine and smoke but not so good for on the grill type meals in my opinion.  But they are fun to catch and are just fun to see in the rivers.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
reiny, can you explain what you mean by fresh run or "green" ones?????????

I will be in Duluth tomorrow but on the south end of town!!!!!! would love to get my grubby fingers on some fer smomin!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man I would like to go there just to see them.  I bet it is hard to get a room there at this time of year, like at Two Harbors...

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Green or fresh salmon are salmon just entering the river.  They are without any marks on them or signs of slow death after spawning.  Looks almost like white fungus on them.  So they look fresh and you can tell the difference.  There is not that much pressure on these type of salmon.  The other day when my brother was at the Gooseberry he was the only fisherman.  He caught them with just a small piece of red or orange yarn tied to a hook under a bobber and split shot.  You drift this near them.  Worms work also at times under a bobber.  good luck.