Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Moonlight Serenade!!  (Read 1238 times)

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
What's that you say there's a full moon coming my way!  Well in my previous article I loved focusing on sharp edges and breaks where fish start to congregate.  However, now we have wild moonlit nights and longer feeding hours so lets talk overnighters. 

My strategy is to find mid depth flats, because I still like weedy spots with brown coverage that are adjacent to really shallow sand and gravel areas.  Running water is again a huge plus and put on your gloves because your going to have to get your hands wet. 

What's the weapon of choice, well I like three hook original floating rapala's or husky jerks.  Keep the colors simple and neutral because water clarity is favorable for the moonlight to do most of the work.  If you really want to go bright then a white glow would be ideal in a smaller 4 to 5 inch shad profile. 

Keep speed relatively quick, I like to cover ground and you want to trigger reaction strikes from bigger more docile pigs.  You'll have plenty of hooks ups with keepers at dusk but for this moonlit bite I want to focus on bigger fish. 

Use your electronics and make long passes, cover the territory you want to cover.  At different parts of the night the moon will be touching different parts of the lake, this becomes a factor on how you work a point or a specific shoreline.  I can't emphasize enough the importance of covering ground.  To me bigger fish are more nomadic and not as schooled up as smaller keeper fish, also at times roll out into deeper water, those fish will travel a long way to get to a bait.  Good Luck

Happy Hookin'

LGS
« Last Edit: October 10/14/16, 10:29:51 AM by fishing32wild »