Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Low pelt fee, high beaver population  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 CO Report: Low pelt fee, high beaver population

Nov 4, 2016

CO Karl Hadrits (Crosby) reports activity this week of investigating reports of deer baiting, hunting after revocation, trespassing, cutting trees and posting no trespassing signs on state land, and suspicious hunting activity. All-time low fur prices resulted in near zero trapping activity on the water trapping opener, and the low price of beaver pelts and nobody trapping has caused not only a rise in nuisance beaver problems, but a premium fee on what nuisance trappers are charging. Firearms training was also attended, and waterfowl, bow deer and turkey hunting activity was checked.

CO Tim Collette (Pequot Lakes) checked archery deer, duck, and grouse hunters. Some northern ducks are starting to filter in and the deer are really starting to move. Complaints of hunter harassment and illegally tagged deer were fielded and enforcement activity included no life jackets in a duck boat, non-resident ATV riders on state trails without required trail passes, unvalidated deer tags and untagged deer.

CO Patrick McGowan (Pine River) continued training with a COC. The officers spent time patrolling area ATV trails as many people were out riding in preparation for the upcoming deer season. The officers also investigated some possible hunting complaints and issued a few wildlife possession permits. The officers patrolled for shore anglers but the bite seemed to be slowing down. Enforcement action for the week included no headlights on an ATV, burning

prohibited materials, and take fish without a license.

CO Sam Hunter (Park Rapids) checked fishermen, ATV's and hunters. Officer Hunter assisted the local sheriff's department on a couple search warrants. CO Hunter received complaints of bait, people blocking roads to not allow hunters to access public property, and fish out of season.
« Last Edit: November 11/05/16, 12:12:03 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Beaver are everywhere near our cabin in remer.  I checked a few spots near the road that usually have traps in them.  Didn't see a single trap.  I did talk to a guy that usually traps and he wasn't going to set at all this fall.  He said he made great money from the county trapping nusince beaver.  He told me not to trap as well so he could make more money next year. 

I will trap a few this winter just for fun and good eats.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
bring some beaver to ice apalooza, id love.to try it!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Sure will.  Might have to skin it 1st while I'm fishing.  I like multitasking.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.