Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Just Terrible  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Received some just terrible news last night about a family pet of one of my wife’s nephews. The sixteen year old was helping his grandmother clean the garage at his uncles cabin and came across a M-80 he showed it to his grandmother who told him to put it back where he found it and leave it alone. He ignored her and took it behind the garage, he lit it and tossed it out into the yard. He totally forgot that the family lab was with him and she ran after the M-80 thinking they were playing fetch like they have done a thousand times before. She picked it up in her mouth and went to turn and come back when the M-80 exploded taking her lower jaw with it.

She was quickly gathered up and they tried to stop the bleeding but she passed before they could get her to the vet. The vet told her she passed because of the massive blood loss and shock.

So many bad things happen here, I have heard of freak accidents that pets have been loss to but this is a first for me. Cleo was just at my house this last weekend and I gave her a good double handed head rub and a bone, never thought that would be the last I would see of her.

I mention this as a reminder to all of us who have pets that no matter how smart they may be we still need to be aware of where they are and what they are doing. As owners we need to keep them out of harms way. The nephew now has a terrible memory that will last him a long time, what a terrible way to lose a friend
 :pouty:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Personally, I'd beat the hell outta the kidl. Doesn't matter if it was an accident or not. A poor, innocent dog, that trusts in us.
« Last Edit: September 09/30/17, 08:09:39 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and a good lab to boot, yup woop his arse HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   at the least.....

it's wrong in so many ways....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh man how sad.  There is always the fear that bad things like this are going to happen.  The wonderful loving dog was just doing what wonderful loving dogs do.  What a heartbreaker....   RIP Cleo, we all love you!!!

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
An ass whipping won't change the course of events. The poor dog is gone and it would take a very unique soul to not feel gut wrenching remorse.
I'm thinking that young man will be sorry for a very long time.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good point Jiggle....  There is going to be a lot of suffering here for a long time.  You know how long we miss someone after they are gone.  I hope the kid has some feelings #1 and I hope he recovers from this too.   Terrible terrible thing.  I can't imagine what is going on in this family right now.  Best wishes to all of them including the kid who made a terrible decision.  I hope Grandma is there for him. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you guys are right, help him too, if it's possible....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I'd still boot the kid. And that's all I've got to say about THAT.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Yea iffin that was my kid he'd have a real talking to. But then again I would of taken that contraption away from him.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Update and answer a few questions,

The nephew and his grandmother, my sister in law came over last night. She wanted to talk to her sister, my wife and explain to her what happen and also to tell her they were telling the kids in the family that the dog had died but not how she died. We have a pretty big extended family and everyone has a dog or two.

The nephew is taking it pretty bad, I sat with him in the living room and he told me what happen. He thought the dog was in the cabin with grandma and not till he saw her running down the M-80 did he see her. He yelled at her to stop but she was to focus and then it was too late. He told me how they wrapped her up as best as they could and that she died in his arms on the way to the vet. They took her back to the cabin and buried her there. The whole time while he told me what happen he had his arms wrapped around his knees and was rocking back and forth. He started sobbing and that is when my dog Duncan did the unexpected. He climbed up on the couch and put his head in the nephews lap and let himself be hugged and held.

I went out in the kitchen and did something stupid, I picked a fight with the sister in law. I wanted to know why she let her grandson skip school that day. If he was in school it would not have happen. I wanted to know that when he showed her the M-80 she did not take it away from him. I did find out the M-80 was in a box up on a shelf in the garage. The uncle has no kids at home and it was one of those out of sight and forgotten about things. Lot of blame to spread, kid should have known better, uncle should not have had it laying around, grandma should have taken care of it. Only thing no one could have changed was a dog being a dog.

Went back in the living room to find both the kid and Duncan fast asleep on the couch. Wife put a blanket on them and she told her sister she will bring him back home. They are gone now and I came online and read some of the remarks. This was a terrible accident. There was no intent to harm the dog. The nephew told me he will never have another dog again. I said nothing it is how we all feel when we lose our wing man. He will take time to heal and I hope he never forgets what happen and he learns from it. I would never wish his memory on anyone and I hope down the road he will find another dog because our lives are so much fuller with one then without one.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
take care of the kid is about all I can say now......

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
What a terrible awful experience to have to go through.  I feel sad for everyone involved.