Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 339169 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We had a lot of them this last weekend too.  Some blue ones and some purple ones.  Mosquito hawks.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anyone else?????? i dont recall seeing any robins lately. i usually have them cleaning out the mealworms in the feeder, but not lately! :doah: :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yer right not seeing them much...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
They’re still around here, but not as plentiful as a while back. I’ve been spreading grass seed over some pretty big areas and keeping it watered, so they are finding some easy pickins for mealtime.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had a robin in the birdbath this a.m. but otherwise haven't heard or seen much out of them. There was still an oriole here this a.m. holed up in the Norway maple. Leaves are so thick you couldn't see him but could hear him. The jelly hasn't been disappearing as fast as it was a few days ago.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Did see an oriole late yesterday afternoon & still heard one chattering last nite. Filled the jelly feeder one more time as it was getting down there again. Haven't seen or heard any today. Some robins around the yard. Guessing they're part of what's pecking holes in the apples.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Less of several birds. Robins, finches, Orioles and hummingbirds. Tiss that time of r.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Not a bird but, we saw no big orb weaver spiders this year.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We haven't seen a lot of robins this year.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
      Not a bird but, we saw no big orb weaver spiders this year.
come to think about it, I haven't seen my pet spiders in my garage either??? :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I could mail you some large barn spiders... :coffee: Haven't seen any of the golden garden spiders when out & about. Wet weather has affected a lot of spiders & insects negatively, including some crop inect pests such as rootworms as well as backyard pests like boxelder bugs.
« Last Edit: September 09/07/24, 09:42:20 AM by Dotch »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We haven't seen a lot of robins this year.
We have a pair that nests here every Spring, but I haven't seen any lately. They usually have a nest on the light fixture at the peak of the east side of the garage.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our annual nest in the boxelder didn't happen this year. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I did hear a robin the other day. Did see one also. But that's been it. Feeders are busy

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looked like we had about the usual robin numbers here this spring & summer but once the second brood fledged, they didn't hang around long after that. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
One lone oriole yet this morning. Looked like an immature female possibly. 🤔

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The male Goldfinches have lost most of there color, looks like a pile of females nowadays.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just cleaned & refilled both our HB feeders in the last 2-3 days, so they must still be around here.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I saw five killdeer in our backyard Tuesday afternoon. Isn't that a Moody Blues song?
      Anyway, I got to go look it up to see where the killdeer around these parts migrate too. Pretty sure the migrate. Not many hummingbirds lately, though.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had to look it up too to see where they go. I know they don't hang around over winter here. Not a bad idea actually... :coffee:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Killdeer/maps-range

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hummingbirds were on a tear yesterday. There's a passel of them here right now. As fast as they're whipping around the yard it's hard to tell just how many there are. They emptied 2 out of the 3 nectar feeders yesterday so cleaned & refilled those. They were squeaking at me as I was putting the feeders back up. When they're not on the nectar feeders they're hitting the cannas, 4 o'clocks, salvia, petunias impatiens, and other assorted flowers. Looks like the orioles have gone for good. 

But wait, there's more! Saw an oriole picking away at the jelly feeder just now at lunchtime. Put a few more tablespoons worth in it so they can help themselves.
« Last Edit: September 09/11/24, 12:28:51 PM by Dotch »

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I almost put the humming bird feeder away. I haven't seen one in a while. I don't spend a lot of time watching the feeder so maybe I am missing a few.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
It isn't safe to step outside here with all hummers.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe ours have moved down to you guys.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Little buzz saws.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I just seen a hummer at our place on Tuesday.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of flickers around. We’ve got some pretty big bare spots from a landscaping project and they are really going after the ants that are scattered everywhere.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just spied another oriole! I might get rid of the last of that icky cheap grape jelly yet. That way I won't be tempted to eat it if I run out of the good stuff...🫐🍞

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I still haven't seen a hummer for days.  ???

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just watching  a hummer on the feeder this morning. Still one anyway.
Hey look your bobber is up!