Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 318161 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: We had 3 right outside the kitchen window a couple days ago. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still one immature male oriole at the jelly feeder this a.m. Filled it up full last nite so suspect that'll probably be the end of that. Should still be another 3 weeks to feed the hummingbirds.  :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
had an immature coopers hawk land on the bird bath yesterday..  stayed there about 10 minutes and drank some and watched the area...   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
had an immature coopers hawk land on the bird bath yesterday..  stayed there about 10 minutes and drank some and watched the area...
Lemme guess:  He watched the area like a ... 
  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:sorry:, I couldn't resist.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yuppers!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
1 fully colored male Baltimore oriole yet this a.m. Clock is ticking...🕰️
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: hummingbirds are kinda scarce here at the cabin. :confused:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not as many here anymore neither.  I wonder if those darn wasps chase them away or if other stuff is available in nature. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No orioles yesterday altho I did have 3 catbirds. No orioles or catbirds this a.m.  Seems to be a pattern starting here... :scratch:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Felt bad, we've had lots of doves lately.  One was sitting in our tray feeder going to town and a red bellied wood packer lands on the edge, starts pecking the side of the dove as it it's raising its wing protecting itself.  He kept it up until the dove flew off.... prick.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
never seen that before!!!   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty cool to see that.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Not as many here anymore neither.  I wonder if those darn wasps chase them away or if other stuff is available in nature. 
We still had a couple on Wednesday, so I put a little more nectar in 1 feeder & I haven't seen 1 since. :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did see one yesterday.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Neighbor said he's seen a couple in the last day or 2 & 1 feeder looks like it's being used too. So, they might still be around.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seem some humming birds and orioles yesterday zipping around    :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hummingbirds are as numerous as I've ever seen them here. I still have some of the icky jelly left. Interesting to see if there might be a stray oriole around after your post mike... :scratch:

For laughs I put a dollop of jelly in one of the cups and immediately a bald-face hornet showed up. Put another spoonful in the other cup and the hornet got aggressive. Imagine that! In the meantime, one of the barn cats was stalking some of the birds in the backyard. I let Poppy out and since she loves chasing birds, that pretty well rained on the cat's parade. Not a fan of cats hunting songbirds. Many of them over the years here won't do it again.  :whistling: 
« Last Edit: September 09/13/23, 01:32:48 PM by Dotch »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
No orioles since Sunday here. Lots of hummers.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No orioles on the jelly feeder after restocking it, just lotsa hornets. Think I'll get my sweep net out, capture a bunch & mail them to glenn. After my nap of course... :coffee:
« Last Edit: September 09/14/23, 12:27:53 PM by Dotch »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a hummingbird working over the sediums last night, seems to be less and less of them. Haven't seen any gypsy moths yet. There pretty cool.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like we might be about at the peak for hummingbird activity. No gypsy moths here but several white-lined sphinx moths working over the petunias and four o'clocks nightly it seems. Should've been a banner year for them given the amount of purslane in the garden. There was a red-headed woodpecker on the light pole in the middle of the yard when I got back from Faribault around 5:30. Squawk, fly off the pole a few yards then fly back to it. Did that at least a dozen times. Poppy and I have bird feeders to fill and maintain in the morning. Time to put out some of the ear corn from my yield sampling and maybe some suet while we're at it. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
3 bluejays have been raiding our feeder this morning.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i havent seen  a hummingbird in 2 1/2 days so there all cleaned up and ready to put ni-nite for  the season!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
May as well clean ours up too.  All that we see is bees now.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Last week we had a hummer smoke our bay window,  she lay shaking in the rocks. I told momma to leave it for a bit just to see. After 30 minutes it was still there,  so she went out with a napkin and as soon as she went to grab it, it flew off. So glad it made it. :happy1:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Hummers are still quite busy here.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Same here. I keep deadheading the cannas and watering the four o'clocks. Ants are bad enough but keeping those pesky smaller wasps out of these nectar feeders is next to impossible. Never had a problem with them or the hornets before this year.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just watched a young robin out by the bird bath, still some white on it's breast!!!   first one in a long time!!!   

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I mowed out front on Monday & I seen that the only thing using the HB feeder out there was the small wasps. So, it came in yday, cleaned up & put away.