Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: In a spearing mood  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
          :happy1: In a spearing mood. :woot:

Article:
By Jamie Dietman on Jan 13, 2018

:coffee: .....
Finally with a break from the arctic air I got to go out exploring without the fear of frostbite and soon the fish also were out enjoying the warm weather.

:popcorn: ...
After a couple of trips for crappies and bluegills it was time for something new. I sharpened my spear I recently purchased, and old but a goody, and then gathered some old and new decoys I've been collecting and then it was off to the dark house for a day of spearing.

:happy1: OR :moon: ..... :scratch:
Now, some people love spearing and some people don't agree with it, but it is something I grew up doing with my dad. So for that reason alone it's something that has a lot of great memories for me.

:Fish: :Fish:
So, back to spearing, the morning was started off by a few dogfish swimming through, then crappies and bass made an appearance. But soon after I noticed the lack of little fish in the hole, then I saw a big old pike head in the corner checking out my decoy.

Just sitting there for a few moments and not coming in closer, I decided to take an angle shot, tricky for anyone but given the fact I hadn't thrown a spear in 31 years made it a little trickier. As I grabbed my spear and lowered the head into the water and aimed for a shot right behind the head I thought, here goes nothing.  :woot: But to my surprise when I felt the rope there was a fish on the other end, and it even hit where I was aiming. Mission complete with a bonus meal of buffalo pike on the dinner table.
JAMIE DIETMAN, What's Up Outdoors, may be reached at 218-820-7757.

Dis one's fur our Glenn (MNO Res. master spearer) :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/14/18, 04:01:45 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: tanks my man!!!! :rotflmao: :happy1: that's the exact spear we have. But I ain't fishin outta a pink fishhouse! :tut: :tut:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you have a Amish spear??
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
you have a Amish spear??
yep, 2 actually. 1 my wife uses.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good spear but I don't like the soft tines, they spread after some use.....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea a little but best spear I've owned. My buddy just bought the stainless one. I always wanted a stainless spear but can't justify another spear. You lose a fish with one of them it's operator error.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yea a little but best spear I've owned. My buddy just bought the stainless one. I always wanted a stainless spear but can't justify another spear. You lose a fish with one of them it's operator error.

that's true, I have a Kramer out of Melrose.  some one else makes them now.   good spear....  too...

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:happy1: tanks my man!!!! :rotflmao: :happy1: that's the exact spear we have. But I ain't fishin outta a pink fishhouse! :tut: :tut:

Gott-cha Glenn!  If-n you got in-ta some guys pink fish house wit um, :tut: ya never know what ta expect :wowza:

(especially if he tells ya ta leave your spear outside da door.)
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

« Last Edit: January 01/16/18, 10:40:02 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
GREAT NEWS...................... only 239 days till spearing opens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so only 358 days to the decoy show!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
What's an amish spear?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb, the spear you see in this picture. That's also my spear house setup! :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I was  :scratch: too so I googled it & at a quick glance there looked to be more than 1 version of what an Amish spear is. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
depends on who makes them too.....   but generally they look like Glenn's....

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Caught part of that, mike, they looked similar but the little I read mentioned something about what they were made of(SS?) & the shape of the tines. Some looked to be kind of spendy, seen 1 where they wanted close to $200. I imagine that 1 was stainless steel. :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
some of them are made of SS!!!!!!!!! there 2 bills or more. the non stainless ones run about 125-150 bucks. back when i bought mine and my wife's i pain 85 bucks for them.

i often entertain the idea of getting the stainless one, but cant justify have another spear just sitting there.  it appears my wife has given up hard water fishing!!!!!! :doah: :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Might be easier to make one.....if you've worked with and welded SS before. I'd enjoy doing that.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Might be easier to make one.....if you've worked with and welded SS before. I'd enjoy doing that.
not as easy as it looks bud. i tried..........its used as a creek sucker spear!!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh, I know. I worked for two years as a machinist right out of high school milling out SS and aluminum panels for heart/lung bypass machines....still make a lot of needed metal things, rather than buy.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
some of them are made of SS!!!!!!!!! there 2 bills or more. the non stainless ones run about 125-150 bucks. back when i bought mine and my wife's i pain 85 bucks for them.

i often entertain the idea of getting the stainless one, but cant justify have another spear just sitting there.  it appears my wife has given up hard water fishing!!!!!! :doah: :doah:
Maybe if somebody else asked her to go............................... ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: SORRY!! I can't help myself when you leave me an opening like that. :evil: :sleazy: :rolleyes: :laugh:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Maybe if somebody else asked her to go............................... ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: SORRY!! I can't help myself when you leave me an opening like that. :evil: :sleazy: :rolleyes: :laugh:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: