Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ask a conservation officer  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:police: Ask a Conservation Officer: :scratch:

Do kids need seat belts in ATVs?
:confused:

Q:
 I just purchased a side-by-side Class 2 ATV with a roll cage and full cab enclosure. I see that it has seat belts as well. Do my kids still need to wear helmets when riding in the side-by-side?

A:
Yes. Under state law, any person under the age of 18 years must wear a helmet when operating or riding as a passenger in an ATV, including both traditional Class 1 (usually straddle-type) or Class 2 (usually side-by-side) machines. Additionally, when a seat belt is provided by the manufacturer, the juvenile is required by law to wear the safety belt when riding on or operating the machine. Many ATV crashes that result in injury or death occur when the machine overturns. On a Class 1 machine, this exposes the upper body and head to a lot of weight and crushing forces. In a Class 2 machine, there are additional issues with hitting one's head on the cage, cab, or structure of the machine. By following the helmet and seatbelt requirements and operating safely, many of these concerns can be minimized.
« Last Edit: July 07/23/18, 09:17:37 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again