Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hunter survive griz attack  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Montana hunter survives grizzly bear attack, feels ‘extremely lucky’

10/15/18

:popcorn:  .....
An elk hunter is fortunate to be alive after being mauled by a grizzly bear Saturday morning in the Montana wilderness.
Bob Legasa, who suffered a broken arm and facial wounds during the attack, was recovering Monday in a Bozeman hospital.

On Sunday he told the Coeur d'Alene Press, "I'm feeling extremely lucky," and added that he considered the attack to be "a fluke."

:coffee: ....
"She was barreling straight toward me," Legasa, 57, recalled. "I thought this might be a bluff charge."
Legasa captured a few selfies before being driven first to an emergency room in Livingston, then to Bozeman Health Deaconess Hospital.
He explained on Facebook that he and hunting partner Greg Gibson had been moving closer to an elk herd when they encountered a momma grizzly bear with a 2-year-old cub about 12 yards away.

:doah: ..
"And before I could even reach for my bear spray she was at full charge," Legasa wrote. "I was able to get my arm up to [somewhat] protect my face when she knocked me over.
"Greg was only a few steps behind me and he was able to get his bear spray out and give one shot to the bear which stopped her and she reared up and came towards him. He was able to give her one more blast where she and her cub retreated."

Legasa, who estimated the bear to weigh about 500 pounds, said his arm was broken in two places "where she grabbed on with her mouth," and that his facial wounds were caused by the bear's claws.
The incident occurred south of Livingston, on a narrow dirt road in dense wilderness.
Legasa told the Coeur d'Alene Press that the grizzly bear cub reared up and growled in the moments before momma bear charged.

"I put my arms in front of me," Legasa said. "I had my bow :green archer: in one hand and had my arm out. She tried to get me into a bear hug headlock.
"She grabbed onto my arm and had it in her mouth. I was knocked over on my butt and at that point I was kicking and screaming trying to move her away."

Legasa said he hopes the bear would not be tracked and euthanized by Montana wildlife officials. :tut:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10/16/18, 01:20:54 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman