Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Another food recall  (Read 42017 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Your reference to people and human waste may not be too far off Rebs.  What else is discharged into these canals even miles away?  After dark!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Well, someone out in the fields all day has to take a whiz...or a poop...what do ya think they're gonna do? Then it rains that nite...

Contamination can occur on the farm when birds make frequent flights overhead or low-lying fields flood with contaminated water. E. coli can also be spread by farmworkers who don’t wash their hands or via farm equipment that has manure on it.

Once the greens are picked, they move to a packaging plant, where they are exposed to more workers and more equipment. Product from multiple farms is often bagged in the same facility, which further increases the odds of cross-contamination.

While packers frequently rinse lettuce with a chlorine wash to kill pathogens, studies have shown those sprays are only partly effective. The same is true of washing fruits and vegetables at home, Tauxe said, because pathogens “cling” to the surface of produce and can enter the inside of a leaf or fruit after they have been cut open.

There’s no “kill step” that destroys pathogens for foods eaten raw, as there is for a well-done burger or a glass of pasteurized milk.

“This is why it’s so important that the people who grow food do everything they can to minimize contamination,” said Sandra Eskin, who heads the food-safety project at the Pew Charitable Trusts. “Lettuce grows in the dirt. It’s eaten raw. There’s no opportunity to cook it to kill bacteria.”

It can be difficult to identify an exact source of the E. coli, a bacteria transmitted from human or animal feces. Because of the time it takes for symptoms to show and testing to be conducted, weeks can pass between when a person is exposed and when the case is reported. By then, the contaminated lettuce may be long gone.
« Last Edit: November 11/23/19, 08:36:29 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I lived in Salinas lo many years ago.   Even then, porta potties were supplied for the workers in the field.  The irrigation was in trenches in between the rows.   

My guess is that the contamination occurred during the harvest, since the produce is washed and packed in the field. 

But I really don't have any way of telling and neither do you guys.   This is a big operation.  Last year it was Yuma Az.   This year Salinas.   These incidents happen all the time.   Maybe the Chinese had the right idea.  Everything got cooked or seared before being eaten.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, even bird's nests for soop.   :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 11/23/19, 05:41:41 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, even bird's nests for soop.  :rolleyes:

boiling water kills bad stuff.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And fun to eat with chopsticks.  妈的 Ma de!
« Last Edit: November 11/23/19, 05:49:52 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
And now this....romaine found on a gun, so they want to recall them. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now they're messin' with piggers....and I rewrap all mine in butcher paper for the freezer, so I'd never know.

https://www.kaaltv.com/national/more-than-500000-pounds-of-raw-pork-products-being-recalled/5562426/?cat=10151

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: November 11/25/19, 09:57:40 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that pork should be fine Reb... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
that pork should be fine Reb...

Thanks, Mikey....gonna haveta be, 'cuz I'm eatin' it anyway!!!!  :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
from what I can tell they worked on Saturdays and did not notify inspectors, that way they didn't have to the OT for them.. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
More of that union graft stuff, huh?    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A little more on the romaine lettuce situation

https://www.morningagclips.com/farmers-devastated-by-latest-romaine-outbreak/

https://www.morningagclips.com/us-officials-dont-eat-romaine-grown-in-salinas-ca/

But Delmar said that happens all the time....... :confused:

This gets into a discussion about the Orientals' centuries old practice of using human excrement as fertilizer. Another potion for disaster so might have something to do with their cooking everything. Even here where municipal sewage is injected, the canning companies won't allow it on fields for direct human consumption, things like peas, string beans and sweet corn. Potential heavy metal contamination becomes part of the equation here as well. Use of livestock manure seems to be OK altho few do it as it isn't the best on sweet corn for consistently supplying nitrogen and unnecessary to use that much N,P, and K on peas. Better utilized after peas for regular dent corn.   
« Last Edit: November 11/25/19, 11:01:47 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So is cow poop safer than people poop?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
So is cow poop safer than people poop?
well i'm no expert, but I think it might have something to do with cattle don't eat meat like humans. I was told the same once about throwing dog poop in the garden due to what they eat.

i'm sure the local. :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: expert, DOTCH will chime in later!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
crap is crap......... 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
crap is crap.........

Truer words were never spoken!   :happy1:
« Last Edit: November 11/25/19, 03:39:05 PM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
crap is crap.........
and all you clowns are full of it. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laughroll: :laughroll: :super smiley:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
And I might add, REALLY  full of it. :sleazy: :smoking: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hmmm, hooking the meter up to GLENN, this is what reading I get..... :evil:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
crap is crap.........
and all you clowns are full of it. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laughroll: :laughroll: :super smiley:

just like you smurf!!!   :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
crap is crap.........

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

:tut:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
crap is crap.........

To a large extent that is true. We're all well aware of recalls due to fecal contamination in hamburger coming from cattle. And as sheep producers we're not big cat fans as they can carry toxoplasmosis, a neat little organism that is shed as oocytes in their feces. Not only can it cause abortions in sheep, pregnant women are also advised to stay away from cat litter boxes. Salmonella and coccidiosis can get into these turkey barns via sparrow and starling feces. According to a dear late friend who worked for Jerome's & Jenny O, they were constantly battling to keep them out, especially in the older barns. Hog manure too has it's little issues. Some of the diseases (remember swine flu?) cross over from swine to humans and with most of the swine production being confinement with pits under the buildings full of swine sewage, it's another potential human health issue. When we've had clients bring us liquid swine manure samples to send in for analysis, I am always very cautious. More than once after handling the samples I've come down with some sort of respiratory ailment. Trying to get people to freeze the stuff and double bag it before bringing it in helps but some catch on pretty slowly as to why that's important. Another thing that was common several years back was to have showers and bathrooms in the hog buildings that emptied directly into the pit with the swine manure. That got the kibosh pretty quickly once word got out. Not a real brilliant idea.

It's pretty easy to see how a micro organism can spread too once it gets onto plants within a field. I still remember plant path class. One of the labs involved a demonstration of splash dissemination. A 5 gal. bucket of water was placed in the middle of a moisture sensitive paper with a radius of about 10'. The guy climbed up on a stepladder and from about 8' up dribbled about 100 ml of water slowly out of a beaker into the bucket. Amazing how many droplets could be found on the outer edges of the paper. Just think about what would happen with subsequent rainfall events in a field.         
« Last Edit: November 11/27/19, 12:57:13 PM by Dotch »

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Reb, at least our green beans are safe. Get down there and stock up.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Reb, at least our green beans are safe. Get down there and stock up.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: