Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: No one has any tips? Contest!  (Read 7068 times)

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Come on everyone, I know everyone has something they have tried and works?

I'll even start a contest here. From now until March 31st, the person who has the best tip and posts it here will win a brand new ice fishing rod, valued at $20.

The rules are simple, post a tip here between Feb 19th and March 31st and we'll have a vote by our staff team on the best tip, the winner receives a brand new rod.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 02/19/07, 11:13:42 PM by Spinach »
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Everyone is eligible, members, staff, admins, except for me.

I think everyone should start a new topic with your tip, so none get overlooked or missed.

« Last Edit: February 02/19/07, 11:17:39 PM by Spinach »
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
I have got a tip that has always worked for me to catch fish....... what you do is get yourself some mini marshmellows put one on the hook towards the eye and the thread the worm on on pump it up full of air with a syringe i found this to work great for trout and other fish this has always worked for me
i have caught many fish this way

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I have one, put some coffee grounds in your worms and it makes them more lively and they stay alive longer.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
When ice fishing, if you pour a can of cat food down your hole, the oils will attract fish.

Offline gds

• Outdoorsman
When ice fishing, if you pour a can of cat food down your hole, the oils will attract fish.

You must be a "pout" fisherman. :laugh:
Gary

Offline moby1

• Outdoorsman
Ok Nothing earth shattetring here but Ive found on a couple of metro lakes that when I had a lot of lookers but no takers (mainly crappies) while using a jig like a flu flu, something as simple as taking a clippers or scissors and cutting the hair on the jig down by quarter or half made all the differnce in the world. I caught my biggest metro crappie (15.25") shortly after trimming down the hair. I was marking the particular fish suspended for quite a while but could not get it to bite. Trimmed the hair (on the jig, I dont have any) and pulled up the slab.

Offline gds

• Outdoorsman
The best tip i can think of is , Have fun!  I think there are alot of people who take fishing and hunting to seriously these days, and take a kid with you!
Gary

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
The best tip i can think of is , Have fun!  I think there are alot of people who take fishing and hunting to seriously these days, and take a kid with you!
I like the way you think Gary. ;)

Offline fisherkingdave

• Outdoorsman
when out there hunting always remember to SEE what your shooting at b4 pulling the trigger!!! Good people die every year when others "thought" it was a deer. No rack or meat is worth taking a innocent life.

Offline tomcat

• Outdoorsman
Injoy the out doors but remember safty first.

Offline jkjkoda

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Are we hunting or fishing today?
Teach a kid to fish and then watch the excitement in there eyes when they catch there first big fish solo.  ;)
Are we hunting or fishing today?

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
That's what I call "Planting the good seeds of life." 

Teach em anything good and watch them grow and blossom.

Ignore em and weeds will creep into their lives.

Grute Man
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
When winter spearing Northern Pike in 6 3/4 feet of water make sure you tie a rope to your 5 1/2' spear. The water is to cold to go swimming.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
OK here you go .  i was spearing on Winnebago in Wisc. for sturgeon and an old timer in the shack told me this one: the first thing you do is cut a 4 foot bye 6 foot  ice hole. next you open a can of sweet peas. then you put them one at a time around the hole. they have to be touching and must go the intire distance around the 4 foot bye 6 foot hole. next you sit and wait. in about two hours or so  , when the sturgeon comes up to steal a sweet pea  "you kick em in the icehole"  anyway  i thought you might like that one. and yes it is a true story.
member  # 569

Offline h2ofwlr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Buzz at 8 MOs
Wear around your neck a pair of ice pick handles.   Basically take an old broken shovel handle, and cut 2 - 6" long sections from it.  Drill a hole slightly smaller than a 20 penney common nail about 2" into the end of the wood.  Gently pound a 20 penney common nail in to each wood handle.  Take a hacksaw and saw of the nail head.  Sharpen the nails on a grinder.  Some guys use a rasp to round the other end, but it is optional. Now screw in a small eyelet into the other end of the wood handles.  Take a piece of small dia. rope about 4' long and tie to the eyelet on each end.  Wear them around your neck.  If you ever fall through the ice-do NOT panic, remain calm, you have at least 2-3 minutes of time to get your self out of the water.  Use the ice picks to hual yourself out of the water by sticking them into the ice to give yourself leverage to get back on top of the ice, once up on top--do not try to stand up--roll away from the hole until you are back on solid ice before trying to stand up.  They work great for ice fishing, hunting, trapping, etc..  A cheap inexpensive gadget that just may save your life one day.

Also see this topic on a rack for your dog in the back of your topper with storage below it.  http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=4094.0
« Last Edit: March 03/08/07, 01:56:41 AM by h2ofwlr »
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks I am.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Ice Fishing for Dummies.

When ice fishing with your ATV on a lake you have never fished before, tie a 25 foot 3/8" rope to your ATV's reciever hitch and a bleach bottle on the other end. When the ATV sinks the rope should be strong enough to haul it up to the surface to attach a chain. Works great as long as the rope is long enough.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline afishrmn

• Minnow
Here is a tip for making your own fish attrackting gel.
1st -- You take a small jar (ie...baby food jar and fill it 3/4s full with petroleum jelly (vaseline).
2nd -- In a pan filled 1/2" to 3/4" full of water,  place the jar in the pan of water and heat the petroleum.
3rd -- After the gel has melted, fill the jar the rest of the way with your favorite fish attractant and stir.
** While the mixture is cooling and thickening,  you can also add garlic salts.....etc. **

Once the jell cools it can be applied to your favorite lure with your finger or a small cloth and will last alot longer than the liquid type attractants.

P.S. ---   or you dab a little behind each ear to attract the fisher-ladies

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
ok  here is a real tip .   to help keep your minnows alive in the summer, add ice to your minnow  bucket. the cooler the water the longer they live.  the less loss you have . also keep your crawlers in the cooler. the heat kills crawler fast.
member  # 569

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

To help keep the spray off your sunglasses
when boating in rough water. Simply apply   Rain X to the outside of the lens.
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline icebanger

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
dont eat yellow snow :rock:

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
luvn-luvnlife
Outdoorsman

luvnlifes personal deer dragger

deer need it
? on: Today at 08:23:38 PM ?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the fall of the year when there isn't much water around deer will travel for miles in search of a watering hole. That means those deer are leaving your hunting grounds and risk the chance of being harvested by someone else. To help prevent these deer from wandering and without the expense of digging a pond. Cut a 55 gallon barrel in half the long way and bury it flush with the ground. The rain water will collect in the barrel and the deer have a constant source of water all year. Once the deer know the barrel is there they will beat a trail to it. If you want to bring deer to a certain area, try this. Alot of times this tip will work better than a food plot by your stand, because all the deer need water and will use it more frequently

Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline NEWENGLANDCHARTERS

Allways take a Compass Bearing whenever you go into the woods or waters.  Even if your only going for a short trip in an area that you know well.

This will get you in the habit of knowing your direction wherever you are and insure that you did not forget to bring the compass.

That said. When you forget your compass. just hold your watch upside down, point the muite hand at the sun and read the hour hand. this will give you pretty fair bearings with practice.

If you forget your watch. Keep in mind where the sun or North Star are located and use them for guidance.

If your in rugged terraine just seak shelter,  make camp for the night, build a fire and wait till daylight to travel..

Capt Walt
Master Maine Guide
P.O. Box 1585
Saco, Maine 04072 USA
(207) 831-6311
NEWENGLANDCHARTERS@maine.rr.com

http://home.maine.rr.com/newengland/

>

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
                        this might help if you skin your own deer
  You probably already know that if you skin a deer as soon as it is harvested it pulls off with minimal cutting in about 5 minutes.
 The trouble with that is the meat is exposed to contaminants and will dry out terribly and gets covered by road spray on the way home.
                                      Try this
  1.    Hang your prize by the neck
  2.  Making one straight cut, Cut the hide on its under side from tail to the rope. (To reduce hairs getting all over cut from the under side of the skin)
  3.  Cut the hide all the way around the neck (you don't need to cut any more skin)
  4.  Pull the hide off starting at the neck only use the knife when you have to to sever connecting tissues.Two people pulling ot once really helps
 5. pull the hide down each leg to the ankle or as far as you use the leg meat but do not remove it
 6. Now pull it back up and reclothe the deer you couldn't get any sack or cheesecloth that fits better and you aren't introducing any thing into the meat.
 7. with a couple of knife pokes and a piece of string you can easily hold the hide on with a "stitch" by its belly and one by its neck
 the deer will look unskun and it is fun to fool your buddies by how fast you can remove the hide once you get it home
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
here is one more
 Contrary to popular belieif you do not need to cut a deers h bone when field dressing. you can slide the pellets up and down the colon to create a space in the casing then pull it out to that space and cut it off or put on a small zip tie cut it off and pull it through. This may sound anal but the deer will drag way easier than having its rear legs flopping all over and you will not get dirt and leaves on the hams.

A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
This contest ends at midnight tonight. 45 more minutes to get your tip in.

The winner will be announced sometime tomorrow April 1st.
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
it was posted in another thread... i can't find it now.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I think Guythathunts won this one.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.