Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 60 minutes  (Read 10122 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Anyone watch this tonight??? The piece on plastic?? If this is as much of a problem why is it plastics ate pushed at every level??? It's bizzare! :crazy: :crazy: :confused:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sorry, nope. I was drinking a Pepsi outta the plastic bottle, and some fried rice out of a plastic bowl, before I pulled a bun out of a plastic wrapper for the pulled pork.... :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
well glenn yu watched it, yu tell us. why are plastics pushed on us. its bizzar.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry, nope. I was drinking a Pepsi outta the plastic bottle, and some fried rice out of a plastic bowl, before I pulled a bun out of a plastic wrapper for the pulled pork.... :rotflmao:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :confused: :confused: :pouty: :pouty: :crazy: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :taz: :taz:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:sleazy:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well glenn yu watched it, yu tell us. why are plastics pushed on us. its bizzar.
yea almost as bad as cardboard!!! :sleazy: :mooning:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
yea almost as bad as cardboard!!! :sleazy: :mooning:

What I'm sending Boar for Christmas..... ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone watch this tonight??? The piece on plastic?? If this is as much of a problem why is it plastics ate pushed at every level??? It's bizzare! :crazy: :crazy: :confused:
I did & IMO it's because a lot of different kinds of packaging can be made out of it, & it's CHEAP. Everything from bubble wrap & shopping bags to cell phones, computer moniters/tvs, & cars.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Plus it can be recycled easily and indefinitely.  :coffee:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well one would think that if the recycling and pollution of these plastics is an issue our fearless leaders would do something regarding this.

and boar the show was regarding all the pollution and trash, not why its getting pushed on us.

i demand paper bags when i go to the grocery store.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
not really............china takes most of our plastic, and thanks to out POTUS there telling us to stick it. theres been lotz of news coverage over this lately.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Whoever invented those stupid flimsy plastic ones that everything falls out of, should be kicked in the azz.  :angry:  I miss the stand-alone brown paper bags. But, there goes another tree....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
not really............china takes most of our plastic, and thanks to out POTUS there telling us to stick it. theres been lotz of news coverage over this lately.

But, it's SOLD to them, then we get rid of it....and buy it back in everything that says MADE IN HONG KONG on it.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
trees are a renewable resource and paper bags are way more easily recycled!!!!!!  :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nuh uh!!!  Try a bag over yer head!!!  :mooning:   :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: December 12/17/18, 08:17:24 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Not really a new story to me, especially the shopping bag & plastic bottle thing. Been around for quite a while, seen many stories about the # of just bottled water bottles that are just thrown away every year.  :thumbs: :pouty:  It's staggering, enough to go around the planet a time or 2. :crazy:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

When the grocery bagger asks me, "Is plastic ok?" I say no.  I'm surprised at how long it takes some of them to process the response.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

When the grocery bagger asks me, "Is plastic ok?" I say no.  I'm surprised at how long it takes some of them to process the response.

Ya, Wally world asks that....why?! They don't even HAVE paper bags....!!!
'Course, I don't expect much outta Wally world anyway.... no Einstein's in there.   :doofus:
« Last Edit: December 12/17/18, 08:47:51 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We go to a store(Aldi's) where you bring your own bags, ours are cloth, & you bag your own groceries, quite often. We don't have 1 here but there's 1 in Mason City, Austin & Grand Rapids. Is Trader Joe's the same way, Reb? I know they're owned by the same German company.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Was just at TJ's on Wednesday......they just bagged my stuff up in good ol' paper bags, with a nice Christmas theme and their logo on it, Gunner...

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I carry cloth bags too...  leaning toward using paper more too when I have too..
« Last Edit: December 12/17/18, 09:09:37 AM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :cool: :happy1: Thought they were pretty much the same :scratch:, evidently not. Think they handle a little different stuff too, from what you've said.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Who can forget the paper grocery bags from Red Owl with the big owl on 'em?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
super value too
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Everything around here plastic or paper end up in the landfill so it makes no difference what we use.  Nothing biodegrades in landfills as they are made that way.  Dig one up 50 years later and you can still read the newspapers.  I go plastic as it actually makes a smaller ball when wadded up than a paper bag will.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Everything around here plastic or paper end up in the landfill so it makes no difference what we use.  Nothing biodegrades in landfills as they are made that way.  Dig one up 50 years later and you can still read the newspapers.  I go plastic as it actually makes a smaller ball when wadded up than a paper bag will.

They put plastic in yer landfill?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: nothing biodegrades???????????? paper breaks down, burns????

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I think the idea is ... nothing (or not much) biodegrades (rapidly) in landfills.

I remember seeing that news article - it might have even been 60 Minutes back in the day - where they dug down into the landfill to show that trash wasn't breaking down.  I also remember them referencing the 50 year old news paper.  I think that story went on to propose an alternative method of landfill that promoted more composting, but obviously that never caught on.
 It was probably more expensive, took more land area, and was probably more stinky.  Nobody wants that in their back yard.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
down this way............most that is seperated and sent to garbage burners for sources of electricity. great river in Elk River, and red wing to think of 2 places.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Modern landfills have a liner on the bottom so nothing leeches out except where they may want it to go to a lagoon through pipes.  After that section is filled they cover the top with a foot or two of fill on top of the garbage.  Then they put either an astro turf or seed with real grasses.  They don't want rain water to get in.  SO nothing biodegrades in there.  There is not enough oxygen to promote it.  They do also have methane pipes burning off any gasses that may occur.

There are appx 7 kinds of plastic bottles.  They must be separated into their type before baling it up.  Very time consuming and labor intensive to separate those bottles. Then you fill a semi and still don't have much weight and the market for them is not good.  SO it all ends up baled and just sitting in warehouses.  Then lots of it gets broken up and sent back to landfills.  The prices on much of the recyclables is so bad that lots of the biggest recyclers in the US are not even running.  Yup composting didn't work as good as they thought neither.