Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Venison Donation Program  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
I see there's word of the states DNR and some hunting group's pushing for a Venison Donation program for the "Food shelves"

They also want to put a $1.00 increase on our big game lic. to fund the program.

whats your thoughts?

Mine, I'm totally against this!!

Us hunters pay the way of too many now, less and less money is being funneled into the sport and now they want more money to feed non-hunters(in many cases) the venison we have stuck so much money into, with habitat, recreational feeding, restricted hunting, Etc.

I don't know about what some of you know about just who all gets food from the food shelf.

I have a church that boarders my property that is a food shelf pickup location.

About 75% of the people who attend this location, are people who choose to not work,  too drink, do drugs, have children with no fathers..Etc..Etc..Etc...

There are a few true good people, who just can't make ends meet or are elderly with only social Security..but a majority are just using the system.

There is plenty of farm raised meats, produce and grains to be donated to the food self. There's is no need to use our wildlife resources to feed the needy.

Subsistant living was outlawed many years ago..lets not open ourselves back up to something much the same today.

You want to eat wild game..pay to have the privilege just like the rest of us.

To put a $1.00 charge on the big game Lic. and force EVERYBODY! to donate to the cause, is not right. Let those who choose to participate, do so on their own.

I said my peace!
There's plenty of room for all gods creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
hell no... why should I pay to fund this?  Why is it that what's already in place can't handle deer meat?  what if I drop off a side of beef?  dumb.  and I agre with you buffle, it's a few bad ones that wreck it for those who are truly needy.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime.

We sportsmen do not need to fund this program.

The government needs to stop giving handouts to the ones that take advantage of the system.  Teach them a trade and get them out working for a buck.

There are people who need these programs, but I believe there are more people in that system that take advantage of the program then need the program.

We are cutting the wrong things in school.  We use to have auto shop class (that would teach you how to take care of your vehicles), we use to have home Ec (that taught us how to cook a meal vs. fast food all the time), we use to have a financial class that taught us how to manage a check book.

Now we cut these classes out and kids struggle when they leave the nest.  The get credit cards when they turn 18 and start down the wrong path.  Their car breaks down because they didn't know to change the oil.  They can not make a meal unless it's the kind you pop in the microwave.

Some of us are lucky and have parents who can teach us these things outside of school.  But, many of the less off folks come from single parent families, or broken homes and fall thru the cracks with no one to guide them.

Why not start a program to teach these people how to manage money.  There are retired financial planners, bankers and accountants that would volunteer to teach these folks.  Teach them how to cook meals.  Teach them a trade.

This is how we change the world.

Stop giving them a free ride!

Stop making us pay for their free ride!!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So they force us to pay to this and yet we still get crap for killing animals. HUH!
I am against it. I have known several people who needed the food shelf but it was temp to get back on their feet. That is fine but I also know several people who abuse the system and it pi**** me off.
I know alot of people who need it and wont use it as well.
I already donate enough venison to people I know who dont hunt but love the meat and are willing to pay for wrapping paper and tape and help pay for slicer grinder etc. That is great because it is my choice to give to them.
I just cant take it anymore when the fees keep going up as we pay for alot of things and we control animal population and yet we get harrassed by anti hunters all the time.

Sorry got going and had to vent.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline Fishahollik

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Im not paying it, don't think we should have to. Gonna stop now before I get mad.
"When asked what man has done in his life, I can say,' I was in the United States Navy'" JFK

I am member #297

Offline Bufflehead

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's a lttle more on this

"St. Paul — While some of the state’s deer hunters are pushing for a state outlay of money to fund a venison donation program, others would like hunters to pay an extra buck to make the program go, while at the same time presumably enhancing their public image.

Either way, the state’s deer-hunting organizations, and DNR leaders, agree the program would be a good thing.

“The program is important; we just need to know how to fund it,” said Lou Cornicelli, DNR big game program coordinator.

Cornicelli said a venison donation program - in which meat processors are certified to participate by the state, hunters donate extra deer for processing, butchers are compensated for their efforts, and venison is provided to participating “food shelves” - has been a topic of discussion in both DNR and legislative hallways for the past few years, and first was introduced in the state Legislature last year.

It failed to go anywhere, partly because many program details hadn’t been determined, and there wasn’t consensus on whether hunters should be charged an extra dollar to fund the program.

That bill, and the one that’s been introduced by Rick Hansen, DFL-South St. Paul, this year, would charge hunters $1 to fund the venison donation program. (Hunters would only be charged once - $1. The current general deer license costs $26. It’s the brainchild of the Bluffland Whitetails Association and is modeled after successful programs in the neighboring states of Iowa and Wisconsin. Another bill, one supported by the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association, would request $250,000 from the state’s general fund as well as seek monetary donations from hunters and anyone else. Hansen is carrying that bill, too, but hasn’t introduced it.

Hansen said MDHA members may discuss the matter at an annual meeting this weekend. The $1 surcharge bill is scheduled to be heard in committee on Monday.

“I’m open to finding some kind of middle ground,” Hansen said. A Senate version of the $1 surcharge bill also has been introduced.

“I don’t see this as a lightening rod issue,” Hansen added.

Jim Vagts, a past president of the BWA currently on its board of directors, said he favors a $1 surcharge because it guarantees the money will be available going into the fall hunting season. He also said by footing the bill and participating in the program, state deer hunters would garner greater public support.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily a program (whose costs) should be borne by hunters, but I don’t want to get in line with the rest of the world for general funds,” Vagts said. “And I can’t imagine a better reflection on hunting.”

Cornicelli said the DNR’s opinion on the matter is that the department would rather not tack on an extra license fee, but that “the program is important. We just need to know how to fund it.”

He estimates it would take $250,000 to $300,000 to operate a legitimate statewide program. The costs mainly come in the form of the fee charged by deer processors. In Wisconsin, Cornicelli said about 11,000 deer were donated through that state’s program two years ago. He estimates with a statewide program, and given the number of deer harvested in the state, that about half that amount, or about 5,000, would be donated by Minnesota deer hunters. The processing fee per deer generally is $50 to $60, he estimates, because processing for the donation only includes deboning and grinding the meat.

“Statewide, the emphasis has been on deer harvest; we’re asking people to take extra deer,” Cornicelli said of recent rule changes meant to reduce the deer herd in some areas. Changes in the deer herd - up or down - and subsequent changes in the number of doe permits issued, could affect the number of deer donated.

Vagts said a donation program would help the DNR manage the deer herd (while helping landowners with deer “issues”) and also provide venison for food shelves. He said the program, funded by a license fee surcharge, is popular in Iowa.

“Someone in the Iowa DNR told me it was the most widely accepted new program ever started there,” Vagts said.

A non-scientific online poll conducted  last year showed a small majority of those offering their opinion favored the program with the surcharge.

Betty Wilkens, of Mora, has helped coordinate the existing venison donation program, in which certain chapters within organizations have coordinated a localized program. An informational website - www.venisondonationmn.com - is sponsored by the Snake River Chapter of the MDHA.

Wilkens said she helped write in 2004 the policy that rules the current program. It includes the state Department of Agriculture (in charge of meat inspection) and the DNR (in charge of big-game management). According to the website, about 220 deer were donated in 2004 and another 590 were donated in 2005.

Last year, Wilkens said, 18 processors (there are a total of 21 certified to process deer) reported a total of about 350 deer - about 15,000 pounds of venison. Wilkens said at some locations, no cost is incurred by the hunter. In other instances, hunters must pay a portion of the cost of processing.

“If there’s a statewide program, I expect there will be more butchers (who participate),” she said.

Wilkens said she fears if funding for a venison donation program comes from the state general fund, there might come a time when the money is not made available, because of competing interests.

“I think, in the long run (a venison donation program) will benefit all of our (deer-hunting) organizations,” she said. “And the public image of deer hunters will rise.”

Cornicelli said when and if a method of funding is established by the Legislature, setting up the program wouldn’t be a problem.

------------------------------

I think this is a bunch of BULL!!

Somebody is trying to spoon feed us the "feel good" "do good" bologna.

I find it hard to believe that hunters are all for more expensive Lic. cost in the name of feeding some needy, and some NOT! so needy

« Last Edit: February 02/20/07, 09:59:17 PM by Bufflehead »
There's plenty of room for all gods creatures...right next to my mashed potatoes

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That bill, and the one that’s been introduced by Rick Hansen, DFL-South St. Paul, this year, would charge hunters $1 to fund the venison donation program. (Hunters would only be charged once - $1.

I would have interest in this bill if it were truly a one time $1.00 charge.  If it were tacked on every year I would say ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So after reading that article they want money to compensate the butchers and charge us for it. Then they want us to donate the meat and we pay for ammo, stands, blinds, food plots, scents, etc, etc with no copensation, just pay even more.

It isnt so bad for me as an example because the last few years we have gotten several deer, but what about the years I never even seen a deer and for those who still dont get any or see any and yet liscences still go up. It is very frustrating to pay all that money and not get anything.

It just seems to me they keep coming up with new ways to up the liscence fee. The cost has more than doubled in the last twenty years. I figure by the time I am fifty the cost will be around $50.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline schwinger

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I see your side but don't have a problem with it myself.
Is it every hunters place to fund the project NO, but hunters have enough enemies and I wouldn't mind having a few new folks on our side and some good press for a change.  I am not a land owner and don't spend additional money on food plots and so forth but that would affect my opinion on this I am sure so I see where some of you are coming from. Also I can't eat more than 1 deer but would love to hunt more of the season and this gives you a place to donate the deer so it doesn't go to waste.

It should be that the people looking to donate the meat come up with the extra cost but I wouldn't be against the fee either. I hate when the government forces fees on people as well so this is just my view point but can see the other side of it as well.