Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Scouts struck by lightning  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
       Girls Scouts struck by lightning in remote wilderness

17 hrs ago.... Reb (fyi)

:coffee: .....
A group of Girl Scouts camping in the remote wilderness of Minnesota, just miles from the Canadian border, needed rescuing late Friday after being struck by lightning as severe storms rolled through the area.

The group of nine scouts was on Knife Lake in the Boundary Waters canoeing area, in St. Louis County, some 120 miles northeast of Duluth, when the storms moved through. The accident took place about 20 miles from the Canadian border.

"All patients are awake, alert, and able to move without assistance," St. Louis County Rescue Squad said in a statement posted to Facebook early Saturday.

Officials had said before reaching the group, that two girls were "showing accute symptoms that have us concerned."

Ground and paddle teams reached the girls around midnight after the Minnesota State Police dispatched a plane to pinpoint the location of the group of Girl Scouts, authorities said.

Local officials also said they reached out to the Army National Guard for help, but the guard was unable to deploy a Blackhawk helicopter due to its use elsewhere.

"Thank you for all your comments, support, prayers, and inquiries," St. Louis County Rescue Squad said. "Many agencies are throwing a LOT of effort at rescuing these people."

Rescuers hoped to be able to bring the injured children to safety by canoe overnight.

The group of Girl Scouts was from Chicago, a spokesperson told Duluth ABC affiliate WDIO.

"The lead guide called in the lightning strike, per protocol, informed authorities of their exact location per the planned route, and said 'they believe that lightning struck the ground and they might have experienced ground current,'" Nancy McMullen, director of Marketing, Communications and Customer Care for the Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin, told WDIO in a statement.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz tweeted about the rescue effort late Friday as well, calling them "a group of very brave Girl Scouts [who] need your prayers tonight."

Weather was warm in the region on Friday, and a severe thunderstorm warning was in effect for northeast Minnesota throughout the night.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds to me like somebody pushed the panic button l little early on this one. Big city parents maybe?????

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sounds to me like somebody pushed the panic button l little early on this one. Big city parents maybe?????

It was the "Social media" blitz, no doubt...

Beside, don't scouts always carry a compass and never get lost?  :scratch:

https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2019/07/28
« Last Edit: July 07/28/19, 09:06:45 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I read that everyone was OK and nobody got injured.  The scout leaders were very professional and knew what they were doing the whole time.  Was in communication with location and law enforcement as well.  I've been through some tough weather over my years.  Even one time on a Island with straight line winds come through.

Sky got pitch black and lightning hit an island near us.  I stuck my head out of the tent and saw the wall of wind come at us .  When it hit us our tent tumbles about 3 times with me, my wife and two dogs in the tent.  It only took seconds and then there was blue sky's and no wind just like that.  I crawled out of the tent along with my wife and dogs.  Boat was ok.  Noticed that I could not see any insects or life beyond the tall pines which were on that island.  Could have been worse.  good luck.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
If they wouldn't have had this stupid satelite phone there wouldn't be so much FAKE news about something that didn't even happen. What if there had been a real emergency somewhere when all these rescuers were on this call. I'm sure some won't like the honesty but when you are honest about some things people will think you are an a-hole.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If they wouldn't have had this stupid satelite phone there wouldn't be so much FAKE news about something that didn't even happen. What if there had been a real emergency somewhere when all these rescuers were on this call. I'm sure some won't like the honesty but when you are honest about some things people will think you are an a-hole.
[/b]

I just heard that phrase this week, Roony. Can't remember where, though.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

I can't say for sure what the situation was on this camping trip. However, we see the type of thing you mention frequently on social media where someone is trying to be cool by being the first to report some insect pest or disease infestation in a crop. They'll post pictures, seldom give a location or qualify it by saying it was only seen on a few plants in one field near such and such 150 miles to the south of where you live. Next thing you know panic sets in and half the countryside is being sprayed for some phantom "outbreak". When you call them out on it then ya, they try to paint you as an a-hole. The drama and sensationalism playing on people's fears to manipulate them on social media is a joke. Dissemination of factual information is totally optional and there are very few filters. Sticking to traditional news sources helps altho they're just as guilty of abusing social media at times, getting it wrong same as anyone else who's obsessed with being "first" rather than factual.  :angry:       
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: July 07/28/19, 06:37:58 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)