Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Backreeling – do ya do it?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
  Backreeling – Should you try it? (maybe)

:scratch: :happy1:  :confused:  :doofus: :bow:

As fur myself...I've been doin it fur years!

:coffee: .....
The majority of the young crowd probably doesn’t even know about the old-timey tactic known as backreeling. In this video, Joel Nelson explains the process and makes a case for it’s application in today’s angling.

Video.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeE_VGOR6RA
« Last Edit: August 08/14/19, 01:26:23 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Mostly during an ice-fishing run by the fish. Not so much open water. Just as easy for me to flip bail with one finger and control line from there. Whatever works for ya.
« Last Edit: August 08/14/19, 06:46:38 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do on the river to keep my jig where I want it.  The river surges so need to keep letting line out or reeling in as it changes.  Just bought a new reel that I can't back reel.  Not used to that and I guess that is the way the reel industry is going now. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't do that on a lot of mine either, Barry. Most of the Shimano's.
« Last Edit: August 08/14/19, 08:10:42 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Rarely do I backreel. I usually have my drag set loose enough that I can just pull some off the spool that way. I generally have more than 1 rod rigged & ready to go so when I pick up a different rod I check the drag as the drag on a lot of the reels these days seem to get tighter when they've sat a bit.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Seriously, depending on type of line you have on (stretch characteristics) and properly set drag...I can't see using it unless ya have a big, long runner on. I do what you do, Gunner.
No 'cuda's around here...but ya might haveta let'er spool off with a big kitty taking off..

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I backreel a lot.  If you have newer equipment with smooth operating reels you may not need to.  I have around 10 spinning reels.  3 of them are the old Mitchel 300's which I still use and work fine.  Only have one "modern" reel and rod which was given to me as a gift [  think they felt sorry for me].  My brother doesn't backreel and mocks me when I do.  Those  sudden quick runs are used mostly for back reeling.  Basicly when the fish [larger one's] come close to the boat.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those "old" Mitchell 300's are priceless! My fish buddy still uses his!  :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Those "old" Mitchell 300's are priceless! My fish buddy still uses his!  :happy1:

Me too.