Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: BWCA disabled and Vets  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
     Let’s give disabled people and all veterans a free BWCAW pass!

:reporter; Ely Echo Editorial :happy1:

:coffee: ....
A letter printed in this week’s Ely Echo points out the problems with the permit system for the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and the Forest Service’s lack of helping disabled people experience the area.

There are some good points that were made and we believe the Forest Service has again ran afoul of the law and been too worried about creating an artificial wilderness than making sure people can actually go there.

We’ve said before in this space that with fewer and fewer people going to the BWCA :bonk: that all options should be looked at to put more heads in tents if you will.

One way to do that would be to help our disabled people along with our veterans. :USA: The best way to help them? Give them a free pass. No permit, no lottery, no hassle. Just go. :happy1:

These people have a hard enough time in the case of those with disabilities and for our veterans, we know they’ve earned the right to visit the very places they vowed and/or fought to defend.

The Ely area set a national standard for veterans with the participation levels of those who served in World Way II. We are very proud of those who served then to those who serve today. Giving our veterans a free pass is the right thing to do.

There are too many rules and too many obstacles now to get into the Boundary Waters.  :tut: It’s just another reason why fewer people come here each summer.

Basswood Lake is a challenge only made easier by the motorized transport at Prairie Portage. Don’t think for one minute groups like the Friends of the Boundary Waters wouldn’t want to do away with that tomorrow or today if possible. :moon:

We’d be interested if groups like the Friends support veterans and getting disabled people into the BWCA with fewer hassles. It’s hard to tell with a group that finds plenty of things to be against and few to be for. But that’s a tale for another campfire. :whistling:

Let’s hope that common sense prevails and the Forest Service doesn’t initiate a two-year study or form a task force. :doah: For those who can remember back that far, the original reason for the permit system was never to limit the number of people. It was for educational purposes.

It’s time to educate the agency that we the people want to see our disabled folks and our veterans and free and unfettered access. It’s the right thing to do.  :bow:
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 01:18:47 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
                                      :Clap:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm confused.  I admit I don't understand all the issues.  I'm just asking.

How are there fewer folks going to the boundary waters if the available permits are all taken?

I get it that the new system made it tougher on outfitters, but did they reduce the number of overall permits when they switched to the new system?

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
I'm confused.  I admit I don't understand all the issues.  I'm just asking.

How are there fewer folks going to the boundary waters if the available permits are all taken?

I get it that the new system made it tougher on outfitters, but did they reduce the number of overall permits when they switched to the new system?

:coffee: ....
One of da reasons is because more youngsters are not interested in camping fishing and paddling or ruffin it in da outdoor wilderness. Therefore if ya can't leave yer kids at home it's not a fun vacation. If ya make um do what you like and day don't want to Well,..... you can fill in da blanks yourself. Tons of older folks dat grew up loving da wilderness adventure can't physically handle it any longer.

Also I would be remiss not ta mention some a-da environmental groups dat apply for permits wit no intention of ever using dem. (nasty folks) you bet! This way there would be less people able ta get any of da limited permits since der already gone.

I've been goin up to da BWCA fur over 40 yrs. every summer. Each year I look forward to da next years trip knowing and wondering how many more years I'll have ta make da trip. You could offer me a paid trip to anywhere else in da world. But I would still choose goin ta da BWCA!

If you'd be interested you might enjoy reading some of my many BWCA reports Here.... http://www.leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm   
« Last Edit: October 10/23/19, 05:28:46 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Far less kids fishing today than ever. How many Dad's do you see nowadays taking their kids out fishing? Not many....and it's sad. These HS fishing teams are great, and I hope somehow the schools promote them and make it an elective requirement to go fishing instead of whatever phys ed they have to participate in. It may be an old hackneyed phrase, but getting back to basics may be what this country needs.