Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 92436 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO with it getting cold tonight I am going to pick tomatoes today.  Not sure if I will pick the green ones or not.  I suppose they will turn red in the garage???  Not sure if I will freeze the red ones or make sauce or something with them.  Never done that before.  Will have to research it. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dug the last of the potatoes and picked a bunch of peppers.  I really neglected my gardens this year and it really showed.  Just too much other stuff going on. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Frost on the rooftops and vehicles here this morning. Good thing I covered melons. tomatoes and peppers last night. Going to get it again tomorrow morning.  :pouty: :pouty: :angry2: :angry2:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
no frost down this way. when i got home yesterday i picked garden stuff..........another mater plant got pulled. been wierd, some of those mater plants the roots didnt take much??????????like they never grew????

also picked and pulled all my jalepeno peppers. my cukes appear to about be toast to.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
wedder terrorists have a frost warning out for around home tonite/tomorrow morning.

meh.........i'm not covering nuttin.

one of my coworkers gave me a jar of green tomatoes he pickled/canned!!!! cant wait to get home and try them. if i like it i be getting the reciepe, thinking there will be more then normal green maters this year!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I was wondering what you guys were gonna do, talking 38 here in the morning.  Gonna grab a few things now that are ready but probably let the rest ride.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty wet here, doubt if it will freeze the garden.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pickled green tomatoes.  I would like to know more about them.  Never had them.  Need more things to do with the greenies.  Let me know how they are Glenn.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Besides the green salsa you did earlier lps, there's always fried green tomatoes,  which I thought we're tasty.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes we did them and they had a nice tangy taste to them.  Kinda liked them.  I could see how they may make good pickles. 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Heavy frost here this morning.....entire lawn was white. Heavy frost on the pickup windows. Had everything covered for the second night. At least this should have taken care of some of the bugs.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Heavy frost here this morning.....entire lawn was white. Heavy frost on the pickup windows. Had everything covered for the second night. At least this should have taken care of some of the bugs.

Wow, where's here?
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I checked it out and it is about the same as refrigerator pickles.  Here it is:  https://www.acouplecooks.com/quick-pickled-green-tomatoes/   Mayhaps I will do it tomorrow or the next day.  Not sure what day that is...    LOL

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pretty wet here, doubt if it will freeze the garden.

Probably won't. I see a 38 degree forecast low with patchy fog. Might freeze in the peat tho! :shocked: Could see some sunshine after lunch.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: September 09/10/20, 08:49:50 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman

Wow, where's here?

Hawley......just east of Moorhead. I see there is a frost advisory out all the way down  to the cities.
« Last Edit: September 09/09/20, 08:12:03 PM by KEN W »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked stuff tonight. Pulled all the kalarabi to.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pickled green tomatoes.  I would like to know more about them.  Never had them.  Need more things to do with the greenies.  Let me know how they are Glenn.
they were good. I'm asking for the recipe. It had a spice in it I can't put my finger on though!!

They were way more gooder then the green fried mater!!! :happy1:
« Last Edit: September 09/10/20, 06:07:43 AM by glenn57 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That jar of green pickled tomatoes will be toast by tomorrow nite.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Was it a quick refrigerator pickle type of thing Glenn? 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
No, brine, seasoning and it was hit bath for 5 minutes to seal it. I see a bay leaf and garlic. Not sure of the other seasoning yet. I'm gonna add onions to it.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked some apples today, honeycrisp, cortland, and sweet 16. Picked a basket or so that were ripe, most of them will take a bit of time yet. Also picked pears, the ground was littered but picked about two and a half pails of good ones. Once they hit the ground they are toast in a short time. Seems like you need to pick pears before they're quite ripe, I keep them in a cool place for storing and put a few in a paper bag to get ripe. When the get a little soft they are ready to eat. My 3 pear trees are Luscious, Gourmet, and Parker. I don't spray my fruit trees for anything but am tempted to start next year, at my age what could a few chemicals do to me? :confused: :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
stopped spraying the apple trees a few years back,  no change   so why at least here..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Picked some apples today, honeycrisp, cortland, and sweet 16. Picked a basket or so that were ripe, most of them will take a bit of time yet. Also picked pears, the ground was littered but picked about two and a half pails of good ones. Once they hit the ground they are toast in a short time. Seems like you need to pick pears before they're quite ripe, I keep them in a cool place for storing and put a few in a paper bag to get ripe. When the get a little soft they are ready to eat. My 3 pear trees are Luscious, Gourmet, and Parker. I don't spray my fruit trees for anything but am tempted to start next year, at my age what could a few chemicals do to me? :confused: :confused:

I got 2 Bartlett pear trees, fruit is small every year...and they always have the black stuff on them... what is that?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Going to pick the Parker pears over the next couple days. On one variety description it recommends they be picked green and allowed to ripen inside. The Patten pears are a little later but will probably pick them too. Getting a lot of help from the GD squirrels that are wrecking 3 or 4 a day right now. Find chewed up pears strewed around the yard & see they've been helping themselves up in the tree too. Enough of that crap. This new crop of squirrels has really been a bunch of little a-holes chewing up nectar feeders, getting into "squirrel proof" feeders and now this. Bet they'll taste pretty good tho. :happy1: Will pick some of the Honeycrisp apples too. Have never sprayed the fruit trees here either. About the only thing I notice are occasional apple maggots but they're pretty rare. I pick up the ground falls religiously and the sheep gobble them down.

Black stuff on the fruit HD? Got any pics?  :scratch:   
« Last Edit: September 09/11/20, 07:45:10 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I got 2 Bartlett pear trees, fruit is small every year...and they always have the black stuff on them... what is that?
BLM's. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never sprayed any of my fruit trees either. Only problem I have seen is some russeting once in a while. Kind of a scabby peel.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I get some of the apple maggots, not so many this year. I noticed the black on the parker pears, this is the first year I had pears on that tree. I'm assuming its some kind of fungus. Another fungus, and the one I might possibly spray for, is cedar scab. For it to thrive you need to have apple trees and cedar trees nearby. I got cedars growing all over heck around here. It puts a scabby surface on my fireside and harolred apple trees and the apples are both unsightly and they don't keep near as well.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
made an executive decision last nite. my cukes are getting pulled, think i'll wait till tomorrow so the ground isnt so wet. by next weekend i'm pulling my tomatoes too now that i got a use for any green tomatoes. they just dont seem to want to ripen. :pouty: maybe with this warmer weather coming. :scratch: :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cukes and maters here were just hitting full stride before it cooled off. Betting with the warmer weather this next week we ain't seen nothin' yet. Lots of small cukes on the vines yet and tomatoes just starting to blush. Everything has been at a standstill. Did some yield checks yesterday before it rained and the corn hadn't progressed since last week in maturity.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i figured the cool weather slowed things  down. my cukes sucked all year so..........its just time to cut my losses with that. i'm kinda waiting till wed when my mom gets back home to gather her green maters and just do one batch. i do have enough of the small maters to make up another 4-5 pints of juice. i just need to get a few more to ripen up a bit more. they juice better when there good and ripe. :happy1: i especially like when i dont  have enough left over juice to fill a jar. let it cool down add a little salt and pepper, some lemon juice and down the hatch!!!!!!!