Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 93000 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I need Rain.. Nodak was drowning last fall.. it’s a desert now..
You ain't a kidding,  some dirt areas here are showing signs of cracking up. Last fall pheasant hunting it was tough to find a dry field to walk..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
The general tilled my garden Saturday when I was up north. I'll get early, cool stuff in the ground depending on rain and weather.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Tomorrow after my blood donation I plan on stopping and getting my mater's, peppers, cabbage and celery plants at fleet farm. Was out checking last year's lists and notes to get a final count of what I need.

Last year I didn't plant anything till May 10th. So my plan is 20 tomato plants, 4 cabbage, 16 green peppers, 8 jalepenos, and haven't decided yet on celery, either 4 or 8.  :scratch: :scratch:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Did I ever mention the story about our dog peeing on the celery in the garden when I was a kid?  :scratch:  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Did I ever mention the story about our dog peeing on the celery in the garden when I was a kid?  :scratch:  :rotflmao:

and how did that taste???    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The stuff I ate prior to seeing the dog nail it was extemely strong celery flavored. Our garden was in the area where the old hog house sat too.  :scratch: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That home grown celery has a stronger flavor then the store bought. Never had any watered by a hounddogs though?? :scratch:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
never had home grown celery... 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Tried growing it but it didn't work out. What we tried tasted like dog pizz.
« Last Edit: April 04/29/20, 03:09:32 PM by roony »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Tried growing it but it didn't work out. What we tried tasted like fog pizz.

dat doesn't sound good at all................

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
never had home grown celery...
I use it strictly for cooking. Add to chili. I put it in my world famous salsa :rotflmao: and when I make my world famous soup mix/ soup starter. Only time I eat it is when I clean it and the small little shoots smack dab in the middle. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One thing with the home grown celery is you can let it get woody. I cut, clean and freeze it sometime around July 1. I keep an eye on it pretty close. I can usually get another small batch  and the end of the year.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
One thing I learned about celery is to put coffee cans over each plant to keep them growing upright. Otherwise they sprawled on the ground.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Welcome back Ken! Still in ND? Hope you wintered well.  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One thing I learned about celery is to put coffee cans over each plant to keep them growing upright. Otherwise they sprawled on the ground.
:happy1: :happy1: yeppers!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I think the year I tried growing it was one of those hot dry years that celery doesn't like. Seems to me it does best in a cool damp climate.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Made the drive to Lou's Greenhouse in Bigstone SD today! Got most of my plants. A few more fruit trees to add to my spread.
 I was talking with one of the guys and they had to limit spud sales because people were coming in and buying 100lbs at a time. 5lbs will easy yield 50lbs if ya take care of them!!! People are :crazy:
They were out of onion sets as well. My Walla Walla and Big Daddy's will have to wait till the weekend. More expected in later today, so I paid for mine and a buddy is gonna get them later this week when they go.
Gonna wait a awhile to plant...to early for the maters and peppers for sure.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I think the year I tried growing it was one of those hot dry years that celery doesn't like. Seems to me it does best in a cool damp climate.
yep, seems like the cooler and adequate water supply makes a big difference.

I grew brussel sprouts like 4 times. only had one good crop...….I said screw it them come nice in the freezer section. :happy1: either that or Mike stole them all the time!!!!! :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yep, seems like the cooler and adequate water supply makes a big difference.

I grew brussel sprouts like 4 times. only had one good crop...….I said screw it them come nice in the freezer section. :happy1: either that or Mike stole them all the time!!!!! :rotflmao:

like that ever would happen!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:    :puke: :puke: :puke:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Don't live in NoDak anymore. As we have reached our 70's we decided to live close to one of our kids. So we moved across the river to Hawley, where one of our daughters lives.She has a home there and we have our usual big garden there.

Been a long winter Glad to get out of the house for some garden work. We don't go south for the winter. My wife refuses to leave the grandkids for long. Did go on a cruise in Jan. for a week. we have been on 6 cruises. None booked for next year. We won't go on a ship if there is no vaccine available.
« Last Edit: April 04/30/20, 07:14:52 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
planted some dill, a row of onions, 2 rows of radishes and some lettuce and spinach yesterday before I got tuckered out. the dirt was perfect to work with. hoping to get the rest of the cool weather stuff planted by tomorrow, weather dependent!!!!

that strategic planning on how and where to plant stuff is hard work!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The ground in the fields, especially last year's bean ground, has worked up just beautifully. If time allows, I'd like to move some fence and break up a piece of the pasture, again. We raised Indian corn and pumpkins in that area many moons ago. Friend has a rear mounted tiller on a small tractor he's offered me. After several crappy springs in a row, this might be the chance I've been looking for.  :scratch:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Anyone look at their apple trees lately? I hadn't paid much attention until noticing they're leafing out quickly. Got a close look last nite and man are they loaded with flower buds! And not just some of the trees, all of them. The pear trees also have more flower buds than we've seen before. Just hope it doesn't freeze at this point. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife said the apple trees at cashwise were looking good. :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone look at their apple trees lately? I hadn't paid much attention until noticing they're leafing out quickly. Got a close look last nite and man are they loaded with flower buds! And not just some of the trees, all of them. The pear trees also have more flower buds than we've seen before. Just hope it doesn't freeze at this point.
I really noticed it on the pear trees when I mowed yesterday.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You've mentioned it I'm sure Art but which pear varieties do you have?

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a Luscious and a Gourmet that are about 13 or 14 years old and the other younger one is either a Patton or a Parker. The young one hasn't given me any fruit yet.The Luscios is delicious.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked me a couple handfuls of asparagus today. :happy1: ate half of it already. :confused: might have enough for a meal with my sirlion steak tomorrow. :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Got my kalarabi planted today before the fail force wind. Planted my celery and cabbage. Put in my jalepono peppers. Wax going to finish putting all my mater's and green peppers In tomorrow but seen some 33 low temps next week. That put a stop to that. :pouty: sucks keeping them watered in them little plastic thingys they come in.