Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: U of M womens basketball  (Read 3064 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anyone else following this story about the gophers ladies basketball program. coach Whalen suspends a player for conduct unbecoming a team member or something like that, turns out the suspended player says it was because of inappropriate body language during a game?????? the n2 other players don't make the trip on a road game supposedly in support of the suspended player. and now she's transferring?????????

is whalen that hardcore or is this player, because she's the leading scorer on the team that entitled or that bid of a pain in the  :moon: she thinks she can do what she wants. :scratch: :scratch:

guess i havent seen any vidoe or clips of this supposedly inappropriate body language.  :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen something about it but didn't see that others support her...  maybe she just wants to take her ball and go home...  it's all about her maybe??? 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
One team one heart.  I think that's what the coach of LSU said today in the White House.  If she broke the teams rules then I say good by if that's what she want's to do. good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so...I have since found out that during that game Whalen was taking her out of the game......and this player flipped her the bird!!!!!! yep she needed to go. hope wherever she decides to want to transfer......tells her to pack sand!!!!!!!!!! tells me no respect for authority!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: NO I in T E A M! :tut:  :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yep, you guys are spot on from everything I know. From a fairly reliable source,"body language" is a weasel word for flipping coach Whalen off. Of course if you go on Twitter and search for Destiny Pitts, you get all the apologists, whining that the punishment was too harsh, Whalen is a bad coach, Destiny is an angel, & oh yes, the race card is even played.  :bs: Effectively it's one side of the story, that of Destiny Pitts and her friends. Due to privacy laws, Whalen can't say anything.

Pitts played token defense at best in their loss to Nebraska. Did not get in the face of the player(s) shooting the 3-ball and got lit up. She turned around, played passive defense against Northwestern and got her butt benched for the last 7:30 of the game. There appeared to be a brief exchange between coach Whalen just prior to that. I was frankly surprised given Pitts lack of effort in two consecutive games she wasn't benched sooner. No coach worth their salt would put up with that crap. What probably irritates me the most is that Pitts is eligible immediately and doesn't have to sit out the rest of the year. More :bs: She's in for a rude awakening if she thinks half fast effort defensively like she displayed will be tolerated at her next stop. When you get butt hurt, won't take your medicine & throw your teammates under the bus like that, good riddance.       
« Last Edit: January 01/18/20, 10:25:08 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so in all reality...…...what are her chances of actually going somewhere else and getting on a team???? if the word got out around here...….i'm sure other coaches know also??????????

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What I have read is that she has always been like this.  Has to be her own way.  She has always gotten by with it cuz she is a good player.  When Whalen tried to talk to her during the game she shrugged Whalen off and wouldn't talk about what Whalen was trying to convey to her.  Then when taken out she gave Whalen the finger is how I think it went.  If I ever gave my boss the finger I would expect to get fired. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Guessing she could wind up at TX Tech (Marlene Stollings recruited her) or head back to the Detroit area where she's from. Lots of teams would take her scoring punch, some don't emphasize defense like you have to in the B1G, & if she's any kind of player, she'll want to prove everyone she perceives to have done her wrong wrong. Seldom does that work tho. Remember Jelly Roll? Don't hear much about him do you?
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have fun in Detroit! 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
What I have read is that she has always been like this.  Has to be her own way.  She has always gotten by with it cuz she is a good player. 

Sounds like quit a few player's in the men's game, especially pro - and increasingly, college.

Destiny will have plenty of financial success playing at the next level and probably get a few coaches fired along the way.
« Last Edit: January 01/20/20, 09:55:40 AM by Steve-o »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
What a joke,who watches basket ball let alone womens bball? ole wahlen sure has pigged out gwad must of packed on 200lbs since last yearmseen her pics on the news...honest I WASN'T WATCHING THE RODENTS PLAY.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Guess that's her destiny.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
What a joke,who watches basket ball let alone womens bball? ole wahlen sure has pigged out gwad must of packed on 200lbs since last yearmseen her pics on the news...honest I WASN'T WATCHING THE RODENTS PLAY.

To each their own snow. I watch a lot of sports, not just BB, but baseball, football, hockey, as well as women's VB & BB, some women's hockey, whatever. As an alum I bleed maroon and gold. Mychal Thompson was in one of my classes over on West Bank. Was hilarious watching him try to sit in one of those little desks. When he tried to stand up he was usually wearing it. We've had the good fortune to have watched a lot of Gopher women's hoops on TV and at The Barn over the years starting when Whalen was a player & their Final Four run, thru the Shannon Schonrock era (relatives in the area) and then Carlie Wagner who was part of two State championship teams & played 4 years at the U. She grew up just across the fields from us. I met some of the young lady players when they were visiting Carlie. Great kids, just as curious about rural MN as we were about their home towns. Guess I'm not one to cast stones when it comes to gaining weight either. 20 years ago I was 40 lbs. lighter.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

To each their own snow. I watch a lot of sports, not just BB, but baseball, football, hockey, as well as women's VB & BB, some women's hockey, whatever. As an alum I bleed maroon and gold. Mychal Thompson was in one of my classes over on West Bank. Was hilarious watching him try to sit in one of those little desks. When he tried to stand up he was usually wearing it. We've had the good fortune to have watched a lot of Gopher women's hoops on TV and at The Barn over the years starting when Whalen was a player & their Final Four run, thru the Shannon Schonrock era (relatives in the area) and then Carlie Wagner who was part of two State championship teams & played 4 years at the U. She grew up just across the fields from us. I met some of the young lady players when they were visiting Carlie. Great kids, just as curious about rural MN as we were about their home towns. Guess I'm not one to cast stones when it comes to gaining weight either. 20 years ago I was 40 lbs. lighter.   
40 lbs...................... :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well dotch did'nt mean to ofend,when I was a young man I watched the rodents when mchale played at the U and minnesota had a pro team " minnesota lakers" but times have truely changed,seems to be a thug sport these days..

Oh as far as wahlen goes,my encounter with her was'nt good my company sponsored her her senior year gave her a car to drive in exchange for her coming in a couple times to sign autographs(which didn't happen ,not once),I was involved as manager,we gave her set rules to care for our automoblile,she trashed it big time,we ended up by repoing it,classless act.

Your spot on tho to each their own,golf/soccer nope....unless I'm painting
« Last Edit: January 01/21/20, 09:45:46 AM by snow1 »