Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rubarb  (Read 5606 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Hey Dotch or anyone??? Apparently rubarb spreads or creeps out. While going through the garden and winter onions I noticed another what will be a new mound of rubarb emerging. I don't need no more damn rubard, my wife doesn't use what we already have. :confused: :angry2:

Is there any way to get rid of the extra?? Can I spray it with Roundup? Or will it kill it all since it appears to be all connected via root system.

HELP!! :doofus:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Don't know that I would spray Round-up in a garden. But then again, if the virus didn't get ya you might be OK.

Being a non-professional and just guessing here I would try and dig it up.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no it won't..  bring it up here!!!!   If I was closer I would take a bunch....  good eats!!  do you strawberry rhubarb or the regular???  might have to drive down there if ya got the good stuff!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't know that I would spray Round-up in a garden. But then again, if the virus didn't get ya you might be OK.

after I posted this I thought about that. :happy1:

I've used Roundup in the garden very very carefully at times not often and less and less.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
no it won't..  bring it up here!!!!   If I was closer I would take a bunch....  good eats!!  do you strawberry rhubarb or the regular???  might have to drive down there if ya got the good stuff!!!!
sue only makes rubarb cake. Just for me. I love it. Shouldn't mix rubarb with strawberries. :tut: :rotflmao:

Take that scooter for a drive one day, you can have all you want, even a root system. I'll save it for you.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
are the stalks all red or mixed red and green??? strawberry rhubarb has mostly all red stalks and might even be thinner then the others...    and yes I will some time!! 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mixed red and green. She got it from her sister, all of a sudden 1 day I had them! :doofus:

Rubarb is like zucchini everybody and there bigger are looking to give it away. :pouty:
« Last Edit: April 04/18/20, 03:26:53 PM by glenn57 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not here....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Strawberry-rhubarb pie! Rhubarb crisp! Rhubarb cake!!!  Rhubarb sauce! :hubba:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Strawberry-rhubarb pie! Rhubarb crisp! Rhubarb cake!!!  Rhubarb sauce! :hubba:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: glad we don't need a what will Reb eat list!! :pouty: :evil: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Dutchboy's got the right idea. Rhubarb really doesn't move by rhizomes but if the clump you're talking about resulted from the outer edge of an existing clump, you might not be happy if the glyphosate moved off target. Digging it up if you don't want it is the safest option. Here when we get a new clump it's usually the result of a seed from a head we missed on the old fashioned green plant. The main clump on that one bolts quickly. We like the Canada Red better and while there isn't any difference in flavor, it's prettier. Red food coloring or mixing some green in the sauce with the red makes it all the same color anyway. The leaves on all of ours got singed & wilted pretty good thanks to lows from 12 to the mid-teens this past week. It perked up pretty good today. Maybe in a week or so we'll have some... :happy1:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Dutchboy's got the right idea. Rhubarb really doesn't move by rhizomes but if the clump you're talking about resulted from the outer edge of an existing clump, you might not be happy if the glyphosate moved off target. Digging it up if you don't want it is the safest option. Here when we get a new clump it's usually the result of a seed from a head we missed on the old fashioned green plant. The main clump on that one bolts quickly. We like the Canada Red better and while there isn't any difference in flavor, it's prettier. Red food coloring or mixing some green in the sauce with the red makes it all the same color anyway. The leaves on all of ours got singed & wilted pretty good thanks to lows from 12 to the mid-teens this past week. It perked up pretty good today. Maybe in a week or so we'll have some... :happy1:   
thanks all. And Dotch, sorry I woke you from your nap  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Putz!  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie & Chevrolet...........Rhubard should have been included in a list of great American things.

It's un-American not to like Rhubard pie, cake, sauce & strawberry Rhubard jam.

Good Lord, you probably prefer some hoytie toytie craft beer over a cold Grain Belt Premium also.    :doah:
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My Mom makes a great Rhubarb-strawberry jam.  It is the best!  Great on ice cream too!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
My grand ma used to make strawberry rhubarb tappioca pudding. got do that this spring, its startin to emerge
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
My Mom makes a great Rhubarb-strawberry jam.  It is the best!  Great on ice cream too!

dats good stuff!!  and the tapioca pudding sounds good too!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 Mom loved the sauce so we'd can some for her. She'd eat a whole qt in a few days all by herself.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie & Chevrolet...........Rhubard should have been included in a list of great American things.

Good Lord, you probably prefer some hoytie toytie craft beer over a cold Grain Belt Premium also.    :doah:
ya had me till the Grain Belt!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: think i'd rather drink water from the sippi in new orleans!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Commie!!!!  What did ya drink at Twins games??! Strawberry milk?!   :rolleyes:

And rhubarb crisp, with a big dollop of whipped cream....Bev's in Red Wing has some great stuff.....last Summer while up there. I coulda eaten two. :tongue:
« Last Edit: April 04/19/20, 09:09:47 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Commie!!!!  What did ya drink at Twins games??! Strawberry milk?!   :rolleyes:

And rhubarb crisp, with a big dollop of whipped cream....Bev's in Red Wing has some great stuff.....last Summer while up there. I coulda eaten two. :tongue:
real beer. the last twins game I went to was at the old met...…..I got better baseball 2 blocks from the house.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

ya had me till the Grain Belt!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: think i'd rather drink water from the sippi in new orleans!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I'll have an ocassional friendly beer, like the Nordeast better though. :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sue made a rubarb cake last nite…………..see ya!!!!!!!!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Once you  have had the barb schaller's rhubarb cake you will want more ....   Mine died.   :angry2: :angry2:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY MIKE...…………..you still interested in that rubarb?? :scratch: just rubarb or would you like a plant???? you are more then welcome to both.

i'll be home all next week if interested...……… or i'm gonna dig it out and pitch it. I don't need 3 different hills.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Once you  have had the barb schaller's rhubarb cake you will want more ....   Mine died.   :angry2: :angry2:
Del, you don't know of anyone that has rubarb that would give you some????? pretty easy to splice it and replant!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY MIKE...…………..you still interested in that rubarb?? :scratch: just rubarb or would you like a plant???? you are more then welcome to both.

i'll be home all next week if interested...……… or i'm gonna dig it out and pitch it. I don't need 3 different hills.

I'll check with the boss!!!   :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I'll check with the boss!!!   :happy1:
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the says we will pass but said thank you!!!!!!   :happy1: :happy1:

but if something changes in the next few days I'll let ya know!!! 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok I'll give it till next weekend.