Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: sealing concrete pavers  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
I have a deck that has concrete pavers and it is becoming a real pain to keep it clean and weed free.  I saw on one of the home improvement programs that there is a product that you can apply that puts a glaze on the pavers.  I sort of like that idea but wonder how well the material works and how well it holds up.  Anyone have any experience with this type of application?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
sorry Tom............cant help ya on that one???????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a deck that has concrete pavers and it is becoming a real pain to keep it clean and weed free.  I saw on one of the home improvement programs that there is a product that you can apply that puts a glaze on the pavers.  I sort of like that idea but wonder how well the material works and how well it holds up.  Anyone have any experience with this type of application?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

What I would do is first spray the pavers with Ortho Ground clear. This will stop the weed growth for a year. Then apply a good quality paver/ concrete seal. I don’t think you will find a single product the will seal and prevent weed growth.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Two things.  It could be slippery where you walk and may need recoating every few years down the road from weathering and flaking.  Just some things to think about.
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
My research shows that there are two types.  One seals the block and makes it look wet, what you would expect from say a Thompson's Water Seal.  The other type actually puts a glaze on it.  I got a quote from Patio Town for a product called BP Pro Enhancing Sand Stabilizer at $50 a gallon and the polymeric sand product for $15 a bag.  Total for me is $755.

The search has a number of outfits that talk about the pros and cons.  The biggest is that need to renew it with some frequency, unknown in reality since none of the sites indicate how well it lasts in our winters.  Thing is that I spent in excess of 6 hours power washing it this year and that combined with the weeds is getting old.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I like the fireplaces with the natural field stone thing.  Actually I like both the shiny and the natural look.  You don't want to create a constant maintenance for the rest of your life.  BUT Glenn is available with his spare time too!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I like the fireplaces with the natural field stone thing.  Actually I like both the shiny and the natural look.  You don't want to create a constant maintenance for the rest of your life.  BUT Glenn is available with his spare time too!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: gee thanks LPS for being concerned about me having to much spare time. :confused: :banghead: :cheerleader: :banghead: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So Tom7227, you ever get that fix figured out???

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
I checked out a number of places on line but they didn't help much.  I went to a contractor supply place and the man told me in no uncertain terms that if I put on a glaze sealer it would regret it.  He said it was like putting a sheet of plexiglass down and after a couple of years it would not be clear and likely start to flake off.  Re-doing it every 2-3 years would be required.  Not worth the hassle.  Power wash would still be required although it wouldn't be as tough, but then that would speed up the flaking. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wanted to do our rock fireplace cuz that stuff looks so nice when it is shiny.  I even bought the stuff at the local lumber yard.  Came in gallon pails just like paint.  I hesitated and thought about it an returned the stuff.  I too was worried it would become a hobby I didn't need. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I wanted to do our rock fireplace cuz that stuff looks so nice when it is shiny.  I even bought the stuff at the local lumber yard.  Came in gallon pails just like paint.  I hesitated and thought about it an returned the stuff.  I too was worried it would become a hobby I didn't need.

Over the years I have put various sealer products on my concrete driveway and in the garage.   Not the ones that are glossy and look like varnish but others.   I don't know that they did much good and it has been a few years.   I mostly did it to try to prevent pitting and spalling from the salt.   Might have helped, I don't know.   

Lasted better in the garage than on the driveway.   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
So would it be a pain to pry up the pavers and start over?

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We kind of toyed :scratch: with the idea of doin some epoxy in the garage here but decided against it. Even went as far as buying the epoxy then heard some say that it can get pretty slippery & doesn't hold up as good as advertised. :tut:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon