Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cabin Options  (Read 1940 times)

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have a piece of land in central Minnesota that I would like to put a cabin on in the next year or two. We are currently using a camper and have water and electricity on the property. I'm looking for something 800-1000 square feet that won't break the bank. We plan to use it 20-30 nights a year from April through November. I'm open to just about anything from pre-built to kits to any other ideas. Just curious what other have done and what options are out there?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
can i ask where in central minnesota???? as i live in stearns county, cold spring!

we have a cabin in itasca county. see what i can remember back to age 6-7 when we first got the place. my parents bought the place with another couple, he was a carpenter by trade. if i remember, it was  24 X 36. simple stick built, the outside walls where insulated and maybe somewhat finished?????? down the middle of it was a bare but studded wall with 2 doorways framed in. there was no electricity or water in the area at that time. everything was run off 100# propane tanks, lights, stove and frig. funny ya needed fire to make something cold!!!!

they decided to take most that middle wall out and only left enough of that middle wall to put bunk beds behind them. they then proceeded to build a little private bathroom between the beds up against the outside wall. between the 2 couples they found relatively cheap paneling to finish the walls with a few cabinets they found somewhere. some of it is still there to this day. they opened up that wall to help heat the place with a  2 burner fuel oil stove we had to fill as needed.

after some time my parents bought out the other couple. they then had electric installed. man what a change. back about 2001-2002 they added another 6 ft to the full cabin toward the lake and they installed a gas/propane furnace when they put the electric in. kinda sucks though my dad died in 2003 from mesothelioma cancer and didnt get to really enjoy there last improvements. :doah:

hope this helps savage 270!!!!!! :happy1:
« Last Edit: July 07/13/20, 11:24:48 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Our hunting cabin is basically a garage with living space built on one end. Couple bed rooms with bunks. A bathroom with shower. This is also where the water heater and pressure tank are. then a main room where the kitchen is. The other half is a normal garage. It has base board heat. If I would have known it was going to be heated year round we would have put in-floor heat in it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thinking of a new cabin sounds fun as heck.  I have done it before but never did build.  I would have no problem getting a manufactured home.  I know people that have and loved their home.  I like the one with the overhang towards the lake or your scenic view.  Big open room and kitchen inside that end of the house too.  Nice deck under the overhang.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Your place sounds great JB. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
My friend's step dad is the actual owner. But Dave and I built it for him. We treat it like our own. I told the owner when he was talking about building a cabin. I don't have the money to invest if he wanted to build a cabin. But I have the time and will build it for you. So the next spring Wayne told Dave a I to get busy. That was when we still lived in Becker too. Would have been a lot easier living up here like we do now.

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My land is located a few miles from Two Inlets.

Thanks to everyone for their input and keep the ideas coming if you've got them!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great way to do it JB.  There are a few shouses around here that I kind of like.  No nice looking house but everything in a big steel building with a house built into one end sounds like an efficient thing.  Can go into the big garage part and there is all of the boats, campers, atv, etc. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Thanks to everyone for their input and keep the ideas coming if you've got them!
many years ago there was a locker plant there I inspected at!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

many years ago there was a locker plant there I inspected at!!!
:tut: :tut: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Our hunting cabin is basically a garage with living space built on one end. Couple bed rooms with bunks. A bathroom with shower. This is also where the water heater and pressure tank are. then a main room where the kitchen is. The other half is a normal garage. It has base board heat. If I would have known it was going to be heated year round we would have put in-floor heat in it.
Wasnt this tge norm for people keeping property taxes so much lower going this route??

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I think some people thought that. Didn't seem to help us much.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
As I think about it my high school buddies parents did the garage/cabin thing when they got started.  Concrete floor.  Elec heat.  Had a shower/toilet/sink bathroom in the corner.  Had work bench kind of kitchen cabinets/sink/stove fridge in a corner too.  Had 2 or 4 fold down beds with actual mattresses built in plywood boxes with hinges.  They had a fold out screen door that would fill the garage door when it was open.  Pretty darn cool.  Parked the boat in it when they weren't there.  Kind of like JB's castle.  Cabins are cool as heck!  I love looking at ideas and floor plans too. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The screen door was a hinged wood framed accordian type thing that fit so you could sit inside and have no sqitos.   

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would look at doing storage containers. Would need someone with welding equipment and good with a torch.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Savage270.
I would start by checking local codes and permits. Could be a big impact on building size, location and use.  Do consider a covered porch (lean-to) as it a great place to hang out when it rains.  Also, no dew and less bugs. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Love nice porches, decks, etc