Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lightening!  (Read 4569 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
If you replay it you see the lighting bolt ricochet off that rock. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
This came around a few years ago. 
Pretty sure it was Det-Cord and not lighting bunching along the "Ground"  :doofus:   :rotflmao:

Probably making the launch deeper.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 08/06/20, 07:41:48 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered if that is what the river thing was too Leech.  Seemed like a few explosions instead of one big one.  One heck of a boom though. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

This video shows exactly how it was used. Watch the slow-mo in the gravel pit and water.  :happy1:

https://youtu.be/W086BtJqCL8

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Those are some cool videos. The lightning strike is crazy cool!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That lightning strike one did look like that Det cord didn't it?  It really riled up that crick. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is how to cook a cow.  https://youtu.be/FSrr6rbG06M

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
medium raw tbone and rib eye's!!!!   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

I think that was the point I was making. I don't think the first video is a lighting strike at all.  Lighting goes to +/- Ground=the ground.  It doesn't skip sideways across the Ground. 
I still think they were blowing the landing channel deeper and someone had fun calling it lighting when they posted it.  It looks like a lot of logs started coming up in the channel and they were trying to clear the hazard out.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: August 08/07/20, 02:10:04 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
A little off topic—last September I was on business in Eastern Wisconsin and brought Mrs. fishwidow along for a couple days in Door County. When we got home, I saw something laying in the middle of the dining room floor. It was a piece of the telephone. We turned on the TV and had no satellite signal. Went outside to investigate and found the buried cable from the dish to the house had been blown out of the ground and was broken in half a dozen places. Also found the buried cable for the invisible fence was blown out of the ground nearby. Found a vertical stripe of no bark on a tall spruce tree and some of its roots sticking out of the ground. A lightning strike to that tree fried the telephone, satellite equipment, and the dog fence. The tree is still alive, but not looking real healthy. With the amount of damage, I’m kind of glad we weren’t home when it happened, although I wonder what the crack of thunder must have sounded like.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The real deal...

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
A little off topic—last September I was on business in Eastern Wisconsin and brought Mrs. fishwidow along for a couple days in Door County. When we got home, I saw something laying in the middle of the dining room floor. It was a piece of the telephone. We turned on the TV and had no satellite signal. Went outside to investigate and found the buried cable from the dish to the house had been blown out of the ground and was broken in half a dozen places. Also found the buried cable for the invisible fence was blown out of the ground nearby. Found a vertical stripe of no bark on a tall spruce tree and some of its roots sticking out of the ground. A lightning strike to that tree fried the telephone, satellite equipment, and the dog fence. The tree is still alive, but not looking real healthy. With the amount of damage, I’m kind of glad we weren’t home when it happened, although I wonder what the crack of thunder must have sounded like.

had that happen when we were home!!!  maple tree took a high hit, wires for the UHF antenna were blown out of the ground, satellite, reciever and TV all fried...  phones fried..  crazy and the boom was right on top of the lightning....   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

I think that was the point I was making. I don't think the first video is a lighting strike at all.  Lighting goes to +/- Ground=the ground.  It doesn't skip sideways across the Ground. 
I still think they were blowing the landing channel deeper and someone had fun calling it lighting when they posted it.  It looks like a lot of logs started coming up in the channel and they were trying to clear the hazard out.  :happy1:

Ya it looked like all kinds of crap appeared out of the bottom of the crick.  Not a bad way to do it. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, ,cool video(first one you posted) I remember it from a few yews ago,take a looksey at the very end,is that a big ass carp blowin outof the water or debris?

Last night sure was a light show,my golden woke me up at 2am all fired up,barking at the hail hitting the house.....

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I turn 65 this week. Never in my life have I witnessed a lightning show like last night. It lasted for hours and was a bolt every few seconds. Some were the standard vertical type but many were side to side horizontal.

Very impressive but also very powerful and dangerous.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I turn 65 this week. Never in my life have I witnessed a lightning show like last night. It lasted for hours and was a bolt every few seconds. Some were the standard vertical type but many were side to side horizontal.

and that is what makes it interesting till it scares the crap out of ya!!!! 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Happy Birthday DB.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh yea Happy Birthday buddy!!!   :party3: :Clap:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

happy birthday dutchy!!!!!!! :happy1: :dancinred: :happybday: hope age 65 gets a pay raise so you can buy me that mickey when pro football season starts!!!!! :evil: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

i apparently slept right through the lightening show!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy B-Day Dutchboy!!!  :happybday:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Happy Birthday DB!  :happy1:

Since this is a lightning thread I probably should've posted this here. From yesterday's derecho:

https://t.co/XGGubYYMf2 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Thanks guys, just another day I guess.

Glenn the Big $$ conference scrapped the 2020 edition of "The smoke & mirror tour" so you better hope the NFL plays to get your football fix.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Thanks guys, just another day I guess.

Glenn the Big $$ conference scrapped the 2020 edition of "The smoke & mirror tour" so you better hope the NFL plays to get your football fix.
Yea seen that. :confused: sucks. :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!