Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: waterfowl hunting in "oh canada"  (Read 1479 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
 is shut down this fall for non residents I'm told,pitty.

however folks hunting north dakota this fall will have issues gaining private land access and double the hunting pressure,farmer I know near bismack said he has had over 20 trucks pull in asking to hunt already,locals in north dakota are bitching already about non rez roost jumpers blowing migrators/local birds out early as well,they call the non rez waterfowl opener the " Boat Parade" lined up going through town every fall....busting roosts rather than field hunt or pothole hunting.

two things come to mind about the migration this fall,lack of hunting pressure in canada will make birds complacent stay until freeze-up,plus enhanced hunting pressure in north dakota will flush local birds out the first two weeks of opener.Then not much activeity there after.To late to apply for a non rez waterfowl tag in south dakota as lottery ended in july.tuff year ahead for hardcore waterfowlers.
« Last Edit: August 08/21/20, 11:55:40 AM by snow1 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting, never thought of that.  I have friends that have gone up every year for 20 or 30 years.  They have a place up there just for goose hunting.  I bet they are bummed!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed LPS,hunting waterfowl in canada is a dream,once you make the trip your spoiled,fantasic experience but today the hassel at border crossing "too and from" ain't worth it,last time up for me I got the 3rd degree for 45 minutes as I traveled in with 4 shotguns and several cases of 12ga/10ga ammo as I planned on hunting pheasants in the dakotas on my way back,herd customs whispering thought I was selling firearms and ammo to local canadians,plus the passport deal.years back the us money exchange rate was about 50% so the canadian hunts were more affordable compared today.
« Last Edit: August 08/24/20, 11:29:15 AM by snow1 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's definitely more hassle than I want these days. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah I can see the birds in Canada not getting pushed around by just residents,  although the States that don't have a lottery drawing for a license getting pushed hard. Having private land will be the key this year, as always but one will see more competition definitely.  Me, I'd hit opener in MN and probably take a few weeks off, ya never know deer opener might be the best time in a slough..

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed bobber,good friend lives in kearny nebraska,has a waterfowl lease on the "platte river" waterfowl hunting from grand island neb to kearny is big business...

outfitter next to my friends land is already 70% booked,,rates start@$175/day!,best hunting down there is december into january,they hunt the river in sink blinds.