Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Screw your little Turkey!  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Almost looked a little like someone trying to cook ET!  :scratch:

Had a couple customers who have since retired that were raising ostriches. Not aware that they ever butchered or ate any of them. It was kind of a pyramid scheme by all appearances, trying to get people in on the "ground floor" so they could really clean up when the demand took off. Didn't happen apparently. Ostriches are gone. They did tell me tho that it was dark meat with almost a beef-like taste so good to know they weren't just kidding.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I remember trying an ostrich sample in the grocery story one day - a loooong time ago.

Yes, it did taste like beef and yes, it was supposed to be the next big thing, and no, I haven't seen any since.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Almost looked a little like someone trying to cook ET!  :scratch:

Had a couple customers who have since retired that were raising ostriches. Not aware that they ever butchered or ate any of them. It was kind of a pyramid scheme by all appearances, trying to get people in on the "ground floor" so they could really clean up when the demand took off. Didn't happen apparently. Ostriches are gone. They did tell me tho that it was dark meat with almost a beef-like taste so good to know they weren't just kidding.
Emu ranching was another thing that went belly up. I worked with a guy and him and his wife spent $1000s on a breeding pair and they were going to quit their jobs and Emu ranch. Never heard back from them if it worked?
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I still see emus on farms from time to time driving down back roads.  I know I've seen some in WI and maybe some in SE MN.

I wonder if ostriches were just too big an ornery to keep.  Or maybe they eat too much.  Or maybe no one wants to pay over $50/pound for the meat.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There were some emus up the road from the ranch and some rheas in an another location closer to town. The emus got loose one day and were tearing around in the neighbors field. Called it in to the sheriff's dept. and the dispatcher was like "Huh? What are you talking about?" We tried rounding them up with 4 wheelers but they weren't having any of it. They ran through the neighbors single strand electric fence and just kept right on going. Never saw them again. Likely turned into coyote food. We were primarily concerned about getting their electric fence back up as the cattle were bat$hit crazy after that little episode.  :shocked: Birds are long gone. The enclosures and buildings are still around but in total disrepair.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you see the "Dirtiest Jobs" thing on ostriches?  Pretty funny.  Big tough birds!  Their head is right by yours.  That would freak me out.  No thanks. Or kick you in the jewels like a place kicker.  Notta.  LOL

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we used to butcher all of them and yes they are mean!!!  they will gut you with one kick!!!  it was their oil that stated the rage and then the meat...  tasted them and well I like beef...  feathers was another side line and the eggs too...  just glad I'm not doing that anymore!!!  and remember they have a brain the size of a pea maybe... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I can't believe you guys would eat limo the emu from liberty mutual. :pouty: :confused: :doofus: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, doesn't even look tasty to me.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dat bird don't stand a chance!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
watched it now, I can see where this is going to the next big thing, again!!!!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

nope....

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I had ostrich at an expensive restaurant in Chicago in the late 80’s or early 90’s. It was ok, but I didn’t think it was worth a second try. Too many other good choices available. The leather does make some pretty nice boots, though.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
This past spring when I was up north stirring the pot with the DNR I was going to all the property owners on the lake I drove past a place that had a few what I think we're ostriches.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mmmmm.   :coffee:

:hubba:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there is that Steve-o!!!