Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tracked down neighbors wounded deer  (Read 2565 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
On his way out to a stand on Thursday afternoon, my brother in law saw people tracks in the woods.  Upon further inspection he noticed a small speck of blood in the snow.  He followed the tracks for a couple hundred yards deeper into our land where they seemed to have given up on the trail and headed back to where they came from.  My brother in law continued following the trail watching for the deer.  After a while of difficult tracking due to little blood and too many other tracks, he saw where the deer had bedded several times leaving a small pool of blood each time.  It was about 200 yards from where the others stopped tracking that he saw and finished off the doe.  It had been shot through the gut and shattered a hind leg by the knee joint.  On Saturday he decided to see where the deer had been first shot thinking it was our neighbors to the west.  He backtracked their trail west and then south through a small swamp and then another part of our woods. The trail then headed on to the neighbor to our south's land and he did not go any farther.  I ask him if he considered giving them the deer.  "Not after they gave up and I tracked it, finished it off, gutted it and dragged it out" was his response. I agreed. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually its sad folks would give up like that,kudos to you guyz for the follow-up.
« Last Edit: November 11/17/20, 09:00:45 AM by snow1 »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
 Finders keepers.
All good tings come to those that keep tracking!  Or was that who shoot straight?  :scratch:   :rotflmao:

Heck my first two Deer ever when I started hunting were Does illegally shot by someone else that I picked up the blood trail and stay on it until found. I was only a teen so at the time I hustled them home, cut them up and ate um. Now I would probably call it in. One of them was shot with a 22 I heard someone shooting in th he woods earlier that day.
« Last Edit: November 11/16/20, 02:23:52 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm sure I will bump into them sometime and ask about it.  Several years ago we found a buck they shot and didn't find.  They should have found the buck as it didn't go all that far. Shot through the liver and gut. 

We found it during the muzzleloader season.  They shot it the last day of the rifle season.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
May be that they don't want to trespass looking for a deer on your property?????

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Ya know deadeye your post here is really making me even more schnitty about not finding the deer I tracked for 4 hours last Sunday morning. :pouty: :surrender: :cry: :pouty: first time it's happened to me and don't like it. Pretty convinced though it will live.

Don't get me wrong, enjoyed reading your post. :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LPS, I doubt that's the case.  The have done it before.  Now, if they didn't have a big enclosed stand so tight in the corner of their land, maybe the deer wouldn't be on our property.  Think of a square or 40 acre parcel.  Now put a stand in the upper right corner of the square.  My brother in law owns the land to the right side and top of the square.  That means he cannot/should not shoot on three fourths of the land around him.  Also any deer shot on his property would have only one way to go to not come on ours.