Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Two wrongs in this sad event  (Read 5004 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Why wasn't the victim wearing blaze orange and why did the shooter shoot at movement.  These are two things most deer hunters learn right away.

https://www.fox9.com/news/hunter-shot-and-killed-while-deer-hunting-in-northern-minnesota
« Last Edit: December 12/02/20, 12:53:59 PM by GrandpaTom »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've wondered that too GT.  Seems kind of fishy to me too.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I experienced something once... without any shooting.

While bowhunting I thought I saw a deer moving through the brush far, far in the distance.  To this day, I still swear it looked like a deer.  Then I lost sight of it for a bit and lost interest because it wasn't in my ballpark for bow range and moving away.  The next time I picked up movement, I clearly saw another bowhunter in camo.

There is an outside chance that a deer did sneak through the brush and that minutes later a hunter followed, but I don't know...

You've got to ALWAYS be sure of your target AND your backstop.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Why wasn't the victim wearing blaze orange and why did the shooter shoot at movement.  These are two things most deer hunters learn right away.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/hunting-related-death-under-investigation-in-beltrami-county/89-795c7e3b-f90d-4
i agree, and like Steveo, i had a similar experience rifle hunting years ago. i swore i seen a deer, new it was a deer but couldnt make it out. i kept looking threw my scope. with the young trees and brush at what looked like the legs i couldnt see the body or head. that damn thing just sat there for what seemed like an hour. i finally gave up being so intent, a bit later i watched it walk away from me.

o
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is the other thing that got me once...

I was sitting, watching my patch of woods, when all of the sudden I see some horns in the distance.  They are bobbing back and forth.  I wait, but nothing happens, the deer isn't moving.  I put my scope up and see that it is a tuft of long grass stems back in the trees.  I put my scope down and they look just like antlers again.  The sun had risen and illuminated them in the distance and they looked just like bright yellow antlers.

Now here is the funny part.  It got me twice.  Sitting in the same stand next year, part way thru the morning, I see a some antlers bobbing in the distance...  Yep.  Same damn patch of grass.

I'm a maroon.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/hunting-related-death-under-investigation-in-beltrami-county/89-795c7e3b-f90d-4

An't getten nutten?    :confused:
The case of this missing page is still unsolved … but don't worry, we have our best investigative reporters tracking down leads.

Stay tuned…
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

same here but with my puter prowess........i just when to KARE 11's website!!!!!! :mooning: ;) :happy1: :rotflmao:

The case of this missing page is still unsolved … but don't worry, we have our best investigative reporters tracking down leads.

Stay tuned…
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Got it by another site.  Sounds like it may be on or near the Res. Do they have to hunt with blaze on?  :scratch:

Due to varying initial reports about where the shooting took place, multiple agencies are assisting in the investigation, including the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office, Red Lake Tribal Police, the Minnesota DNR Division of Enforcement, and the FBI.

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman

I changed the link.  It should be good now.

Stay tuned…
« Last Edit: December 12/02/20, 12:55:27 PM by GrandpaTom »

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey all, I changed the link, for some reason the old one went 404.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Got it by another site.  Sounds like it may be on or near the Res. Do they have to hunt with blaze on?  :scratch:

Due to varying initial reports about where the shooting took place, multiple agencies are assisting in the investigation, including the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office, Red Lake Tribal Police, the Minnesota DNR Division of Enforcement, and the FBI.

Unless something has changed,the red lake nation can hunt 24/7 big game,my nights driving thru the nation years back on my way to roseau to hunt geese was always dicey because natives were shinning deer along the hiway,pricks would shine our car everytime,they had standing shooting platforms built on the pickup box ,shooting deer and occassional moose in the road ditches.  never seen natives wearing blaze,ever.
« Last Edit: December 12/02/20, 01:37:10 PM by snow1 »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The victim, Lukas R. Dudley of Bemidji, does not appear to be Native American.  However, I do not think the 33 year old shooter from Redby, MN has been identified.  Redby is in the Red Lake Reservation.

Minnesota hunter shot, killed after being mistaken for deer
« Last Edit: December 12/02/20, 02:09:15 PM by Steve-o »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
The victim, Lukas R. Dudley of Bemidji, does not appear to be Native American.  However, I do not think the 33 year old shooter from Redby, MN has been identified.  Redby is in the Red Lake Reservation.

Yes he was. Another site stated his name as Rain Stately. Red Lake Band member.
« Last Edit: December 12/02/20, 02:40:26 PM by Leech~~ »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Unless something has changed,the red lake nation can hunt 24/7 big game,my nights driving thru the nation years back on my way to roseau to hunt geese was always dicey because natives were shinning deer along the hiway,pricks would shine our car everytime,they had standing shooting platforms built on the pickup box ,shooting deer and occassional moose in the road ditches.  never seen natives wearing blaze,ever.
Been there done that to snow when I lived down by St. Cloud and we would head to the hunting land in Skime.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Yes he was. Another site stated his name as Rain Stately. Red Lake Band member.

...hence the multiple jurisdictions involved in this investigation.  :sad: Yes, two wrongs in this sad event.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone who ventures out during firearms deer season without wearing an outer layer of blaze orange is either very foolish, or has a death wish. Anyone that shoots at movement has no place in the field or forest carrying a firearm. It really is just that simple.