Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Introducing Shadow!  (Read 85531 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Who's the guy in the picture with the pole barn over his tools?? :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That there is body by Busch lite!!  :happy1:  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice lookin pup bobber...looks like he was a big help in that pic or trying to be.

In my old age when we hunt most often I'm solo,watching my boy work or just sitting in our blind makes the hunt for me not to mention my hearing is shot so my boy let's me know of incoming geese way before I get  clue,"team work" iffin I scratch out a couple birds great if not,not a big deal just enjoy the moment with him.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man  :confused: :scratch: :doah: I've never seen a dog like shadow that can take a brand new chew toy and dismantle it like him  :confused: :pouty: I bought what I thought was a pretty tough rope type chew toy yesterday and he has already got it unraveled. Got him one about a week ago and within a day had it sperated

He's managed to go threw more chew toys then my last 4 combined. And rawhides,  :confused: the last one lasted 2 hours  :pouty: :rotflmao: only thing he hasn't managed to destroy are those kong rubbery things  :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Lol,yeah kong's are great,when my boy was young and teething like your's I had 3 kong's  that we would stuff a milk bone in  em when I got home from work every day,then hide then around the house,under pillows,couch crack etc then let the boy hunt them up,but he never destroyed one kong just stuffed toy's.Now they have stuffless toy's my boy just loves.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cooper has learned how to take the leather bones apart too.  That is his biggest thrill.  Dismantling it.  2 or 3 days and I have to throw the smaller pieces away.  Never had a dog go through them so fast neither. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: must be related !! :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So Saturday morning I went up with shadow to meet LPS, his bride Carla and cooper . Can't forget buddy either. I managed to find this iowegian guy along the side of the road, so brought him with. :sleazy: :rotflmao: think these 2 dogs are brothers  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is the only other picture I could get, they don't stand still very long  :confused: :doofus: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great pics Glenn.  Glad we all got together.  The pups had a good time.  Need to do it again. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Boyz grew up fast....lookin good.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
So Saturday morning I went up with shadow to meet LPS, his bride Carla and cooper . Can't forget buddy either. I managed to find this iowegian guy along the side of the road, so brought him with. :sleazy: :rotflmao: think these 2 dogs are brothers  :rotflmao:

:tut: :mooning: :pouty: I thought :scratch: you ASKED me to go along ....................................... so you could find your way back home. :confused:        :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:                                                 ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:       
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:tut: :mooning: :pouty: I thought :scratch: you ASKED me to go along ....................................... so you could find your way back home. :confused:        :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:                                                 ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:     
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i can get lost a whole lot easier here around home then up there!!!!!!!!!!! :doah: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so..shadow will be 10 months old towards the end of july here. been working with him on retrieving and obedience. he is getting pretty good at the retrieve, his obedience thing is so-so. i use a leash and treats, he does really good walking beside me and not pulling on the leash. he is good with the sit and stay in front of him, but not so good when i walk a distanced away and want him to sit and stay.

kinda think  he might be a bit young yet, OR i may need t o be more consistent in doing it, like every day???????  at this point i think he is a little bit gun shy with the bang, but seems to be improving.

when we where up at the cabin over the 4th, down the lake someone shot off a pretty big and loud fireworks and he took off like a scalded cat!!! :doah: but he didnt go hide, it took a few minutes but he came back all wound up.

the next night we where ready so at dusk we had him in the cabin, and when the fireworks started again he got really  nervous!!!!

any thoughts????????????//

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Give him a few G&T's. He'll be fine... :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn,poor shadow....big bad meany noises....whether you like to order stuff online or not this really works,google innovet.com pet food site,consider CBD oil treats like the soft calming chew's they work wonders on my boy siezures(less severe) work best for loud noise anxiety like thunder and fireworks....doesn't make them drousey either.

started my last two boyz out early in the field and gun range,kept them in the vehicle wilst shooting about 10' away from the action hidden in a treeline window's up to mufflle the shots for the first 6 months.then start the second stage around gunfire at a distance.it's easy to make a pup gun shy but hard to correct so get it right now,baby steps.

My current boy on his first hunt,he stayed in my truck during the hunt just 10' away from the action with windows rolled up.,great way to start a young bird dog.
« Last Edit: July 07/08/21, 10:50:23 AM by snow1 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just go out and shoot a .22 around him for awhile.  Then a shotgun from a distance.  OR have your brother shoot a shotgun from a distance whilst you have him on a leash.  Then work closer.  Give him some treats to keep him happy whilst doing it. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've been working with him on the gun stuff at the cabin, kinda tough to do that shootin in town.........iffin ya know what i mean!!! :evil: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
i've been working with him on the gun stuff at the cabin, kinda tough to do that shootin in town.........iffin ya know what i mean!!! :evil: :rotflmao:

take him Mpls....   just sayin..............    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

take him Mpls....   just sayin..............    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
I wanna train him, not get him shot!! :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I wanna train him, not get him shot!! :rotflmao:

what ya think he won't protect ya???    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That sucks you can't find a cap gun Glenn.  Well if ya can't order one then just do  the. 22 at the cabin next time your up. Do it while he's eating or playing fetch. I wouldn't hesitate at his age,  if the 22 has no affect while fetching let the shot gun go, not over his head but the other way while fetching.  Meanwhile at home get some loud garage noise going, blowers, air compressors even a nail gun could work..

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Careful guyz young bird dogs experiencing this big loud world we live in one needs to move very slowly introducing our pup's to shooting,after 50+ years of training bird dog's have yet to have a gun shy pup or one that trebles in fear from thunder or fireworks but help other's with gun shyness,introducing pup's to loud noises is and should be a slow process,a good start introducing pup's to loud noises can start inside the home by banging a couple of pot's around the pup while he is eating.... cap gun is a great tool for plan #2 while pup is making a retrive,a second person helping is a plus throwing pup's retrieving dummy from a distance shooting the cap gun as you release the pup to retrieve.

Every year at our gun range I see new gun dog owner's bring they're young pup right up to the trap firing line ignorant to the pup's body language(trembling,tail between the leg's) these pup's are scared sheteless,in the old days this was the procedure or shooting a 12ga over the pup's head while friend holds on to pup's leash so he won't bolt,50/50 chance one will ruin said pup doing this for life.

so take it easy glenn,make training your pup enjoyable and just like young children our young pup's have a short attention span whether OB training or retrieving short training segements say 5 to 10 minutes tops otherwise you'll get frustrated/pissed at the pup but its not the pup's fault,repetition is key one command at a time per week,it'll pay off in the long run.

Have fun with it,you have a lifetime best friend that will give you great memories and unconditional love.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
this is the third dog i've trained. MAYBE its just me, but i dont remember my other 2 taking this long.  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: the other day a LOUD motorcycle drove by.....that got his attention. didnt bolt or shake so there is progress. i live in town so gun stuff only happens up north and when the zoo hit friday i quit shooting.

he IS making progress. i shoot just to shoot when his mind is elsewhere..........when the gun goes off he just stops and gives me the what was that look.  :rotflma  :rotflmao:
now working with the training dummy.......... :surrender: :doah: first couple times its lets play keep way  :doah: :confused: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
,training days can be challenging,playing keep away can enforce bad habits if doing so with a training dumy when the time comes,at his age it's time or maybe this....

gun type tool,makes a noise shoots a ball.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup carry that thing around Mpls!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife went to bed, so shadow took her recliner. :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice shot Glenn.