Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Introducing Shadow!  (Read 85599 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Well, he is in mine now!! :confused: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
this is the third dog i've trained. MAYBE its just me, but i dont remember my other 2 taking this long.  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: the other day a LOUD motorcycle drove by.....that got his attention. didnt bolt or shake so there is progress. i live in town so gun stuff only happens up north and when the zoo hit friday i quit shooting.

he IS making progress. i shoot just to shoot when his mind is elsewhere..........when the gun goes off he just stops and gives me the what was that look.  :rotflma  :rotflmao:
now working with the training dummy.......... :surrender: :doah: first couple times its lets play keep way  :doah: :confused: :rotflmao:
I believe it's what you put into a pup during the early stages, I'm not saying you aren't Glenn but the more the easier training is. I don't want to bore you with the past but my first black ( it was just him and I no kids or wife) he got nothing but training,  everyday.  He was used to a 12 ga. at 5 months,  kicking up wild pheasants during walks here in town in an area at 6 months.  Had him to 3 different game farms before his first season of wild birds at 8 and 9 months.  At 10 months a week was spent in Sodak and he was shockingly catching wild birds and raising eyebrows.  But, I could see the last 4 labs lack the training since we all have other obligations everyday,  like I said back then it was just him and I,  and working is what we did, at it showed.
« Last Edit: July 07/11/21, 09:19:21 AM by Bobberineyes »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
now that its cooler out i have been working with him..........sometimes twice a day.!!!!!! today he got his first dummy retrieving lessons in taller grass. he actually did pretty good. and since i,ve put it in my head to do it every day......i can see improvement!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's awesome!! We did the same I'd rifle the scented dummy ahead of us in taller grass  when he wasn't looking and just watched him get birdy as we got closer as he sniffed it out. Fun stuff.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so i've made an executive decision with shadows dog food. i'm switching him over to the purina brand dog food.

he has the worse dog farts i've ever encountered. and when i pick up what he left behind its just as bad. :doah: :censored: it could peel paint off the wall. along with more then half of it its runny. i've fed purina to all my previous dogs and have never had this before. maybe an occasional runny one but not like shadow.

gotta try something..........

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
so i've made an executive decision with shadows dog food. i'm switching him over to the purina brand dog food.

he has the worse dog farts i've ever encountered. and when i pick up what he left behind its just as bad. :doah: :censored: it could peel paint off the wall. along with more then half of it its runny. i've fed purina to all my previous dogs and have never had this before. maybe an occasional runny one but not like shadow.

gotta try something..........
Glenn, if you insist on Purina, get the PURINA Pro plan, not the dog chow. My Vet said the Pro plan was pretty good food. When we adopted our Golden the previous owner was feeding him dog chow, we had to drive him home with all the windows down.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've fed my previous dogs the regular dog chow and didn't have issues??? Hmmm. I Know each dog is different though. Even with the regular purina dog chow all his turds where solid.

My brothers dog had some special expensive dog food he needs to feed his because of some issues.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a thought—one of my dogs was having that issue, and at my vet’s suggestion, I added Purina FortiFlora. It’s a probiotic that comes in a small carton containing a bunch of small packets of powder that you tear open and add to their food. After six or seven doses the problem was corrected. I still give them a packet every once in a while. You can buy it online and if I remember right, it comes out to about a dollar a packet.
The primary dry food I use is Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice, but I like to rotate some other foods in regularly, and I usually add a couple tablespoons of decent quality canned food, and about a quarter cup of water. Sometimes instead of the canned food  I’ll add a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese (maybe you can find a use for that after all) or a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin.
I do know that different dogs react differently from each other. I’ve had some pretty long evenings in front of the TV with my dogs at my feet emitting toxic fumes after eating some of the more expensive foods.

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We're on pro plan here as well.  After the "grain free" foods were noted as bad that's when we switched to it. So far so good, some flavors the pooches eat better than others ( chicken and beef are the favs) . Thought of trying mixing wet n dry like FW mentioned but I figured I could never go back to dry only once they gotta taste. Ya know come to think of it I haven't noticed them dropping bombs since we got off the grain free...hmmm.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So how do you like my white dog now. :angry2: :confused: :rotflmao: that's my brothers in back.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's funny!!!  all ya need now is a skunk!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
that's funny!!!  all ya need now is a skunk!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
nope!  :tut: :tut: no skunks! :tut: got an idea where he goes but  :angry2: :rotflmao:

Couple of throws with the training dummy in the lake he's clean again.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Turned into a blue lab.   :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Turned into a blue lab.   :happy1:
:rotflmao:

Naw that's swamp muck black all the way. :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks darn good too!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
been a while, no new pictures though......... so shadow has been doing really good with the training dummy.......shut up boar.dotch/gunner mikey.... :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: he is really coming along also with obedience training!!!!! :happy1: hr is getting less nervous with guns too!!!!!!

now the bad news  :surrender: last night i sent him out to go do his thing. watching him............all of a sudden he goes into one of them tear around the yard like a madman...  it's usually at least a once a day occurance  :crazy: :doofus: :rotflmao: so he decided to go up the deck full boar ran right into the screen door on the patio and ripped the crap out of it..........so gotta get the screen replaced.

lastly....him eating his and the shelties poop drives me friggin crazy.  :confused: :doah: :puke: so i did some serious googlin.....they had suggestions of a list of things you put in there food that is supposed to stop that, some things right off the top of my head that i can remember is meat tenderizer, crushed pineapple??????? thought easy enough i tried the tenderizer......... naw that didnt work!!!!! so at this point i'm hoping as he gets older he grows out of it!!! :surrender:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
too funny!!   try crushed red pepper flakes maybe

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Yer world famous horsey sauce? :scratch:  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea i'm not sure with that creature anything will work!!!!!! :pouty: :crazy: :doofus: :doofus: :thumbs: :rotflmao:

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I hated when our springer did that years ago,  the vet told me to try hot sauce.  She only liked em frozen tho, nowadays I pick em up every day.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I hated when our springer did that years ago,  the vet told me to try hot sauce.  She only liked em frozen tho, nowadays I pick em up every day.
i usually do to......but its almost like i gotta follow him around and the sheltie and catch it outta the hind end!!!!!! :surrender: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cooper does it now and then too Glenn.  Not all of the time.  I scold him when he does it.  Must be enough food smell in it or something.  I've wondered if some kinds of food may contribute to it? 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup brothers!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mentioned a couple posts ago about what my physio dog did tomy screen door on the patio. Here it is  :angry2: I about strangled him.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
such a good puppy!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
such a good puppy!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:angry2: :angry2: :confused: :angry2: :Clap: :Clap: :banghead: well he isn't my favorite right now!🥴 :confused: :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Reminds me of the 3 rams my Dad & his partner used to have. Kept them at our place in the barn one summer. They blew a hole thru the side of the barn one August afternoon. Think we had some early lambs that year... :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
oh he is definetly on my sh!t list today!!!!!! so we'll start out by this'

in the morning i have kinda a routine. i go downstairs and play on the laptop......mainly stir the pot on websites  :evil:. he usually comes down, today my wife went with a friend shopping so no upstairs supervision. :surrender: :doah: i go up he isnt laying in the kitchen or living room. go check the bedroom........and if he is in there it usually isnt a good thing!!!!!! :confused: there he is on our bed and has literally shredded out cover to the butter container. :angry2: kennel time for that.

then i go out and refresh a hummingbird feeder....in that time he licked clean what was left in the butter container.  :confused: these where pushed back on the cupboard up against the wall mind you. we had a long talk!!!!!

so i decide to take the screen door up to the hardware store in Richmond to get fixed...........i get home and 2 hats i had laying out to pack for the cabin are in the living room he was chewing on.  :censored: AND.........the coffee guy sent my soffee..he packed the box with paper towels. since i'm a cheap azz i set them up on the cupboard to use, needless to say he got them down and shredded them!!!!!! :surrender: :bs: :censored: :doah: so then i bring a cooler downstairs for tomorrow to load and find  the top to my thermos bottle laying down there!!!!!!  :censored: :banghead: :banghead: so yep......more kennel time.  :confused: :censored: :censored:

so right now if somebody said they would take him off my hands and i'd give them a $100.00 they'd have a new dog that goes by the name BOAR JR!!!!!!! :mad1: :mad1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and that's just today??!!!!!  what a good puppy!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
and that's just today??!!!!!  what a good puppy!!
:mad1: :tut: :tut: Yea just this morning... That's all. :pouty: