Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104677 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Grassy looking stuff sounds like either Quack Grass or Crab Grass. Quack grass can only be killed with Roundup or similar product, which kills everything including asparagus.

Basically you are looking at kneeling and pulling.
kinda figured as much. i did it last year...just gotta get out there more often. that ground is pretty hard right now, i'll wait till after it rains......need to get the root or your wasting your time.

i spray some roundup along the edge........very carefully. then go back in a week and pull by hand.

meanwhile the garden at home needs a drink this morning!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Grassy looking stuff sounds like either Quack Grass or Crab Grass. Quack grass can only be killed with Roundup or similar product, which kills everything including asparagus.

I tried thing him. :doofus:
I have sprayed roundup in the spring, before its up but I'm not crazy about it.
:scratch: :doah: I know how you feel roony!! :pouty:                  :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 06/03/21, 08:09:56 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I had quack grass get into a 20'x20' vegetable garden, so I didn't want to use roundup on it.  I left it go for a year and that was a big mistake.

The way I got rid of it was to let it grow long so I could grip it, loosened the soil with a spade, and then pulled the grass.  Afterwards I dug up and sifted through all of the topsoil by hand to remove the white spaghetti-like roots left behind.  That finally took care of it.  From now on, any time I see that stuff jump my edging barriers, I'm after all the roots immediately with a garden spade.

Once its in your lawn, all you can do is mow it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I tried thing him. :doofus:
I have sprayed roundup in the spring, before its up but I'm not crazy about it.
:scratch: :doah: I know how you feel roony!! :pouty:                  :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I had quack grass get into a 20'x20' vegetable garden, so I didn't want to use roundup on it.  I left it go for a year and that was a big mistake.

The way I got rid of it was to let it grow long so I could grip it, loosened the soil with a spade, and then pulled the grass.  Afterwards I dug up and sifted through all of the topsoil by hand to remove the white spaghetti-like roots left behind.  That finally took care of it.  From now on, any time I see that stuff jump my edging barriers, I'm after all the roots immediately with a garden spade.

Once its in your lawn, all you can do is mow it.
every fall i buy a jug of the crabgrass killer, kills other weeds to, that ya hook to a hose.....seems to work pretty good!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know dittly-squat about herbicides, but it seems the broader the leaf, the easier it is to selectively kill it.

I was happy to see them come out with post-emergent crab grass killer - for the stuff that didn't the pre-emergent didn't stop in the spring.

But quack grass is almost as thin as regular grass and is much tougher to kill without taking out the rest of your lawn with it.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There is a product to take quack & crabgrass out of asparagus. Goes under one of several trade names but was originally released as Select. Common name is clethodim. DO NOT spray it on sweet corn. It will kill it. It's what we use for taking volunteer corn out of soybeans. It may take repeat applications for regrowth on quack or 2nd flushes of crabgrass. I've used it for years around the yard to clean quack out of flower beds but have used it occasionally on vegetables when it gets too for cultural control methods. It does nothing on bromegrass, the primary grass that creeps out of our local road ditch into the yard.

32-64 oz./100 gals, so about 1/3 - 2/3 oz./gal. A little vegetable oil or dish washing soap and you're good to go.

I keep one hand sprayer with that mixture on hand so if quack or crabgrass piss me off, they get a dose.

« Last Edit: June 06/03/21, 10:20:13 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
There is a product to take quack & crabgrass out of asparagus. Goes under one of several trade names but was originally released as Select. Common name is clethodim. DO NOT spray it on sweet corn. It will kill it. It's what we use for taking volunteer corn out of soybeans. It may take repeat applications for regrowth on quack or 2nd flushes of crabgrass. I've used it for years around the yard to clean quack out of flower beds but have used it occasionally on vegetables when it gets too for cultural control methods. It does nothing on bromegrass, the primary grass that creeps out of our local road ditch into the yard.

32-64 oz./100 gals, so about 1/3 - 2/3 oz./gal. A little vegetable oil or dish washing soap and you're good to go.

I keep one hand sprayer with that mixture on hand so if quack or crabgrass piss me off, they get a dose.
Interesting...better living through chemicals. :smoking:
« Last Edit: June 06/03/21, 10:25:39 AM by roony »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I heard that stuff could be spendy??? Wanna mail me some.  :mooning: :rotflmao:

Think I'll just weed it the old fashioned way  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Some gardening of sorts last nite. If I don't do it, it doesn't get done. 1st I got a couple 5 gallon buckets full of manure. I pulled up all the radishes that had bolted. Mr. Bucky liked them! Planted the potted yellow canna & the variegated morning glory. Then I transplanted some 4 o'clocks into a couple pots to see how they might behave as perennials. I know we have native wild 4 o'clocks out here that are perennials. Find them in road side & waste areas. They're not showy or fragrant though like the non-native species nor do they provide the amount of pollinator interest. Reputedly these non-natives can be brought in, kept over winter & come back from their tuberous roots.

« Last Edit: June 06/03/21, 11:12:46 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: looks like ruby was supervising. :rotflmao:

:scratch: you run out of gin?? :confused: I don't see a glass in either picture?? :scratch: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I heard that stuff could be spendy??? Wanna mail me some.  :mooning: :rotflmao:

Think I'll just weed it the old fashioned way  :happy1:

Helps to know someone glenn, like a corn & soybean farmer who probably has a part jug laying around who's willing to sell you a dab. Not a restricted use product either. I still have a partial jug of Allero (clethodim) I've had for probably 20 years. Keeps well.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
When we had the camper yet there was a huge hog farmer there also I got to know pretty well. He was south of marshall, think  belatine was a nearby town. He gave me a good sized jug or Roundup, the good stuff. I still have some left, but he told me he couldn't sell it???

I gave him $20.00 for gas to deliver it  :sleazy:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: looks like ruby was supervising. :rotflmao:

:scratch: you run out of gin?? :confused: I don't see a glass in either picture?? :scratch: :rotflmao:

Was in my other hand!  :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally getting around to planting garden today. I know, I know, I'm way behind but at least nothing froze whe I wasn't here to cover things.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Better late than never.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Kinda glad I didn't plant much yet. Made a trip around the yard last nite & it was interesting to see some of the plants that were injured by radiative cooling. We live on top of a hill so we had no frost per se. It included some of the morning glories, volunteer 4 o'clocks, perennial salvia & volunteer tomatoes. Thought at first it might've been some Round Up I'd sprayed by one flower bed but found the injury scattered around in other places too. Same goofy pattern as what we're seeing in some fields.  :scratch:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have a lot of 2-3 foot white and burr oak at my land.  These are in open field of CRP. They should be 6-8 feet tall but the deer keep eating them down to the nubs.  Last Sunday I noticed about half the leaves were frost killed.  I hope they survive. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Deer are worse than rabbits. I dont know if it's feasible but a 6 ft diameter ring of woven wire is the only thing that has worked for me.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have a lot of 2-3 foot white and burr oak at my land.  These are in open field of CRP. They should be 6-8 feet tall but the deer keep eating them down to the nubs.  Last Sunday I noticed about half the leaves were frost killed.  I hope they survive.

Hopefully they still have their second set of leaf buds and the deer haven't zapped the energy out of them so they can put out another set of leaves. Have seen the leaves get froze off or eaten off by insects and the oaks and other trees leafed out again. I've wondered what happens if they get froze off the 2nd time tho... :scratch:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I guess it's like going to the bank and drawing out your paycheck on Friday and then going again on Monday.  Sooner or later things dry up.  :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my novice operation.  Lettuce in the new barrel planters.  Cukes on first fence.  Onions, radishes, and green onions in first box.  Amish Romas in second box.  Kentucky Blue Lake pole beans on white fence.  Have some Peppers on the deck in an Earth Box.  2 Pails, 1 with yellow and 1 red Cherry tomatoes.  I can't wait to eat it.   

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking good! I am glad to have our garden planted. Going to put in a couple hills of giant pumpkins with my grandson tomorrow and we need to pick up some dill seed.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think about squash or melons but haven't made the leap yet.  Would be fun to see how they grow.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my novice operation.  Lettuce in the new barrel planters.  Cukes on first fence.  Onions, radishes, and green onions in first box.  Amish Romas in second box.  Kentucky Blue Lake pole beans on white fence.  Have some Peppers on the deck in an Earth Box.  2 Pails, 1 with yellow and 1 red Cherry tomatoes.  I can't wait to eat it.   

Dang, I like your half barrel idea. You must have got that off  the internet?  I just did!  :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Garden is going in by stages. Tonite put in 16 tomato plants; 4 yellow pear, 4 La Roma, 5 Celebrity, 2 Jet Star & one Grape. Also put in 4 zucchini transplants after getting a not so subtle reminder from our adopted 92 year old mom that she would like some. Put them where they're easily accessible as she's liable to drive over & pick them herself! Not kidding. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow: Canna planting & tentative working of the new garden. Crabgrass is getting thick so a good tilling followed by heat will level the playing field. If time allows, planting 4 o'clocks.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Garden is going in by stages. Tonite put in 16 tomato plants; 4 yellow pear, 4 La Roma, 5 Celebrity, 2 Jet Star & one Grape. Also put in 4 zucchini transplants after getting a not so subtle reminder from our adopted 92 year old mom that she would like some. Put them where they're easily accessible as she's liable to drive over & pick them herself! Not kidding. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow: Canna planting & tentative working of the new garden. Crabgrass is getting thick so a good tilling followed by heat will level the playing field. If time allows, planting 4 o'clocks.
Dang, 92 and still picken in the garden. I better start eating some zucchini's fast!   :doah:   :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife saw it on Pinterest.  The barrel has a seam all around it so just cut it with a skil saw.  Worked great?  SO I got 3 - 8' treated 2x4's and 6 - 8" blocks.  Cut the 2 x 4's in 2' pieces.  Just lay the barrels on them and ready to go.  I may make more of them next year.  I drilled about 7 holes in each with a 3/8" drill bit too.  Filled with dirt and potting soil. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife saw it on Pinterest.  The barrel has a seam all around it so just cut it with a skil saw.  Worked great?  SO I got 3 - 8' treated 2x4's and 6 - 8" blocks.  Cut the 2 x 4's in 2' pieces.  Just lay the barrels on them and ready to go.  I may make more of them next year.  I drilled about 7 holes in each with a 3/8" drill bit too.  Filled with dirt and potting soil.

Has going to ask if you put in a few drainage holes?  Might even think about some sand or small rock at the bottom.  :happy1:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yah, that looks nice Barry.  :happy1: :happy1: Maybe next year we will do something like that.
Hey look your bobber is up!