Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: FYI:Check your windows  (Read 4407 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
So much condensation in ours overnight during this cold snap that they would barely get dried out during the day. One of our sills is showing some signs of light damage so I've been wiping them dry in the AM since late last week. Got an email from Sis yday & theirs were all ice/frost when they opened the curtains for the 1st time in a while yday. Seems like it's just the windows that are facing the lake here. Pretty new windows here too, < 8 y/o.
« Last Edit: February 02/16/21, 08:29:49 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i kinda check every morning. there is just a little bit of frost on the bottom of the glass, about it here. with the cold we've had its a pretty extreme temp difference from outside to the inside.
« Last Edit: February 02/16/21, 08:39:30 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
gunner, you may want to try a 3M plastic window treatment on one or two of your windows. The extra layer of the plastic may create "dead" space of air and keep the house heat from the cold glass. I have all of our upstairs windows covered and no issue with moisture. Good luck.  :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
An air exchanger helps to keep the windows from from up if you don't have one.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
gunner, you may want to try a 3M plastic window treatment on one or two of your windows. The extra layer of the plastic may create "dead" space of air and keep the house heat from the cold glass. I have all of our upstairs windows covered and no issue with moisture. Good luck.  :happy1: :happy1:
We used to do that now we have some custom made inserts that just slide in each window, except for the large picture windows upstairs, 3M kits for those. They have a light frame with foam weather stripping on the outside with a plastic much like the 3M kits in the middle of them. Not cheap but ~ the price of 3-4 of those kits plus they're reusable. We also have 2-3 of those real small food type containers with a drying agent in them, brother has a degree in chemistry, in every window too. Almost all the moisture is on the room side of the inserts.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have 2. Contractor thought a 2nd was a good idea after we decided to have the attic spray foamed too. I don't think it's an issue unless we are up when it's this cold. When we're gone the thermostat is set at 50-55* the windows are fine when we 1st get here. :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe it's just ALL the hot air you spew.  :confused: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
   :tut: :mooning: :pouty:    Now your an expert on................................oh wait a minute, that's nothin new! :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:            :super smiley: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll:           

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Guess it's just 1 in here, other is out in the garage.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
The only time our windows frost up is the ones that are behind the closed shades at night. With all the wood on the inside of the house and the air exchanger we get hardly any frost. Air is super dry in the house.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
No moisture on our windows and our house is not anything high tech at all. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mine have been ice free too, I turned off the humidifier when the temps went south.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Not nearly as bad this am but I left the blinds raised a tad, not as cold either. I think we may have a bit too much humidity in the house for this kind of cold. I believe ours is set to ~ 50% now.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: up until 3 years ago i ran a dehumidifer in the house during the winter months.  :doah: :doah: never have had static. this really cold air is super dry????

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Humidity st our place has been registering as low as 3% during this cold stretch.  Saturday morning outside temperature was -40*. Furnace ran 20 out of 24 hours. I’m ready for spring.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Turned the air handler down from around 45% to as low as it goes, 30%, this morning before we left for GR. Just a little moisture on 1 insert when we got back just a few minutes ago. See what they look like tomorrow early.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
No issue with 2 out of 3 of 'em today but it's quite a bit warmer again. The moisture on the other was really light & the only difference was that I lowered the blind all the way on that 1. :scratch: