Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: lake Pepin monster  (Read 3036 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ok I have lived in Minnesota all my life... never heard of this Lake Pepin creature...  I looked it up and folks really think it's there...  another big foot???   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never heard of it myself.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's Pepie!  Even have Pepie Days up at Lake City. (or used to...think I have a Pepie Days T-shirt somewhere) That story goes back a long, long time. A guy I grew up with and went to school with, Larry, is Captain of the Pearl of the Lake, and he says he's seen it before. There was even a $50G reward offered for it by him, I think. I've heard from more than a few people I know that live on Pepin that they've seen it, and locals think it's a giant sturgeon.
I've fished Pepin since the 60's and have seen some mighty danged big sturgeon up there........we even hit a huge dead one in my boat one evening about 6 years ago. Who knows?

https://dailyyonder.com/lake-pepin-monster-fires-up-peoples-imaginations-and-local-economy/2021/05/07/
« Last Edit: July 07/27/21, 03:13:08 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
ok I have lived in Minnesota all my life... never heard of this Lake Pepin creature...  I looked it up and folks really think it's there...  another big foot???   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: i havent either........and i went to red wing at least once a month for 13 1/2 years and dont recall it being talked about. and there where alot of guys from that area i knew that worked at that Hagar City plant????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: i havent either........and i went to red wing at least once a month for 13 1/2 years and dont recall it being talked about. and there where alot of guys from that area i knew that worked at that Hagar City plant????????

Do you know about the Sea Wing disaster that happened on Pepin?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Wing_disaster

« Last Edit: July 07/27/21, 03:51:12 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

not until now!!  looked it up wow!!  that was a bad deal!!!  again the weather... 
« Last Edit: July 07/27/21, 03:27:33 PM by mike89 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lotsa history up there...!  The Indian maiden, Daughter of Souix Chief Red Wing, (for which the town is named) that jumped off Maiden Rock (for which it's named) when her main squeeze, a Chippewa, was murdered by her tribe....
There's a plaque at the base of the cliff commemorating this.  :shocked:
I spent lotsa years in that area and love the history. Have an old book and map on the Sea Wing disaster, with archival photos. Pretty sad and gruesome ending for those folks. And of course, Lake City is the home of where water skiing was invented.   :smiley:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

not until now!!  looked it up wow!!  that was a bad deal!!!  again the weather...

I added the link, Mike. And a great video.  Forgot to do that.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 07/27/21, 03:51:45 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Lotsa history up there...!  The Indian maiden, Daughter of Souix Chief Red Wing, (for which the town is named) that jumped off Maiden Rock (for which it's named) when her main squeeze, a Chippewa, was murdered by her tribe....
There's a plaque at the base of the cliff commemorating this.  :shocked:
I spent lotsa years in that area and love the history. Have an old book and map on the Sea Wing disaster, with archival photos. Pretty sad and gruesome ending for those folks. And of course, Lake City is the home of where water skiing was invented.   :smiley:
the st james hotel has some of the history, mostly the watersking, but dont remember much as we switched places for negotiations a long time ago from there. besides that place haunts me!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: had some pretty feisty negotiations there. :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, I heard a Pepie.  That's a neat area down that way. Went down the MN side and came back the Sconi last year, lots of people fishin but no shortage of good size boats cruising either.
« Last Edit: July 07/27/21, 05:13:35 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good link and clip, thanks Reb!!   :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for posting that video Rebs.  Very interesting history.  Always enjoy that. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for posting that video Rebs.  Very interesting history.  Always enjoy that.

There also used to be a button factory along the lake, that made buttons out of mussel shells.
You can still find shells with a hole in them that were dumped back in the lake 70 years ago.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That does sound familiar.   :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the button factory does sound familiar..   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dont remember hearing about no button factory????? :scratch: :scratch: damn you guys must be old!!!!!! :sleazy: :scratch: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
dont remember hearing about no button factory????? :scratch: :scratch: damn you guys must be old!!!!!! :sleazy: :scratch: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Mayhap it's because  there isn't much history talk in dark, seedy, union meeting taverns.... ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Mayhap it's because  there isn't much history talk in dark, seedy, union meeting taverns.... ;)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nerd: :laughroll: :laughroll: yea its usally who's kneecaps we're taking out today!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman