Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: lawn/grass question  (Read 6141 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
last night on the #4, 10 pm news they had this Rebecca Kohls on talking about the drought  and getting your lawn ready for winter and spring. she said to put fertilizer down in areas where the grass is dead is a waste.

they talked about the areas that are dead and when the ground is froze, say nov, you can spread grass seed around and in spring the melting snow will push it in far enough for the seeds to germinate and grow.

i guess i'm not completely buying that, BUT could change my mind. i'm convinced i have areas in my lawn that are toast due to lack of rain and the sun beating on it the majority of the day.

any ideas???thoughts????/
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Yup.  Wait 'til Fall, after you rake up the leaves and that dead grass,
hit those spots with extra grass seed, in addition to the overseeding with yer fertilizer. (mixing seed in with it) This year it's especially important to do the Fall overseeding. It will sprout and come up in the Spring.
I do mine right around mid October to Halloween, depending on when the yard is finished. This way any Fall rains also help work in the fertlizer and seed.Any sooner is just a waste. The proof is in the pudding.
« Last Edit: August 08/24/21, 08:04:17 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hit those spots with extra grass seed, in addition to the overseeding with yer fertilizer. (mixing seed in with it) This year it's especially important to do the Fall overseeding. It will sprout and come up in the Spring.
I do mine right around mid October to Halloween, depending on when the yard is finished. This way any Fall rains also help work in the fertlizer and seed.Any sooner is just a waste. The proof is in the pudding.
:happy1: :party1: :happybounce: :dancinred:

i knew i could count on you mr green jeans!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Darned tootin', liddle feller.  ;) It's worked for me every year!

By the way, the best grass seed I've found over the years IMO, and it's all I use, is Schulz Hardy lawn. (they have different varieties) I think this stands up best to the cold and heat. Only place I've ever found it is Menard's House of Bargains.
It outperformed Scotts and Pennington. When ya buy it, check test date sticker in lower right corner on bottom of bag.Make sure it's current. Usually will be January of same year bought.....

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yep only but that Schulz brand!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

i knew i could count on you mr green jeans!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Mr. Green Jeans!!!  man you  watched all the morning kid shows!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Mr. Green Jeans!!!  man you  watched all the morning kid shows!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

He wanted to be Mr. Moose.  :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I use a lawn irrigation system so the basic lawn is fine.  If you remember I added a septic tank and moved the drain field last fall.  After leveling the areas impacted the installer spread a fair amount of grass seed on the impacted area. It's easy to see as most of it is pure sand now.  This was done late last fall so I expected to see grass sprout this spring.  As far as I can tell not a single blade of grass grew.  There was some thick stemmed wide bladed light green stuff but I don't know what that was. I say was because roundup took care of it.  I plan to till in some black dirt and plant grass soon.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Late last fall, I tore out this old sandbox and timbers, was a pain to mow around and trim teh weeds that grew in it.
Scooped as much of the sand as I could, and mixed in some buckets of soil I had, nothing special. Shoulda used more black dirt, but thought I'd give it a whirl. Was kind of my test plot. Used some shade seed that I got from my buddy the cemetery groundskeeper.  (Spot is in a really shady area)  Came up OK; woulda done better if sun ever hit that spot, but the Fall overseeding worked, even if it was a bit thin. I'll hit it again in a month or so.
« Last Edit: August 08/24/21, 09:46:07 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ya killed the feral cats litter box!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
REB, at what age did you quit playing in the sand box??????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Dotch wanted to know!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh, 'bout the time someone stole my Tonka dump truck , I guess... :mooning:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
We gettin' some terrfic cracks of lighnig and thunder here, been pouring like all get out. Might wash those woodland creatures right outta the hollow trees.  :evil:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Only got 1" outta all that rumblin' and crackin'. Seemed like a lot more....but I'll take it! Sure is perking up the yards!  :azn:

Some mammatus clouds over Albert Lea a bit ago...and the front moving out of CAWchester.
« Last Edit: August 08/24/21, 03:28:11 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I just finished cutting the lawn. I little TLC about 6 weeks ago, I'm totally impressed with how well it came back!!! :sleazy: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i probably ask this every year......and i'm gonna again!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

with rain in the forecast for around here...........would it be to early to put down fertilizer???? 10-10-10. yesterday when i was out the ground was pretty hard??

i'm thinking i should wait a week or so???????

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I think you should stop asking this question....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I think you should stop asking this question....
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: I think you should stop thinking before you hurt your self!!! :rotflmao: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Remember Glenn, the  more you seed & fertilize the more you have to mow it. Yes, you are 6 weeks to early yet.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Reason I kinda ask is cause I've been seeing total lawn care out and about with there spray trucks!! :scratch:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm gonna wait on fertilizer,  the grass is just starting to turn green a little but nothing is growing yet. I talked about putting seed down a week ago but I'll wait on that also, even though the yard here is damp it wouldn't take much to carve it into the ground. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm going to wait to. After a bit of research they claim the ground should be at least 55 degrees!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Get a goat! They fertilize and mow!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
helpp me figure this one out!!!!!!!!!! :doofus: :scratch:

this spring when the General tilled my garden i had him bust up a couple spots where the grass was dead or almost gone. i fertilized and planted grass seed.........TWICE. with the lack of rain i tried my best to keep it wet. it failed misrably so i gave up.

now with the recent rains i see little grass shoots coming up all over the spot by my driveway. WHAT GIVES????????

the other spot i didnt see any so worked the ground up and planted some grass seed...........i'm sure it be Reb approved.  :rotflmao: :sleazy: we shall see how it turns out. might need to rerake it a bit as the downdour kinda washed the seed a bit to much to one spot!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Crazy, by now you think the seed would be no good. But ya never know maybe all the lightning the past few days had something to do with it. I tell ya tho I bought many o bag o seed Reb recommended with different results,  I've dabbled with some seed made by Superior and its done real well. Think I might stick with that in troubled areas.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I have seeded grass in November and it comes up next Spring'
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
A lot of people prefer Ken's method as it's by far the easiest. As long as there's a little snow to help keep the seed from freezing real hard & give it a drink as things thaw in the Spring it works great.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
A lot of people prefer Ken's method as it's by far the easiest. As long as there's a little snow to help keep the seed from freezing real hard & give it a drink as things thaw in the Spring it works great.
yea i got some seed left when it gets closer i'm gonna use it up and try that..........sure as heck cant hurt!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked up 2 more small bags of superior seed today to hit the Blvd, and around the fire hydrant area after tge leaves are done. Since da lawn tractor took a chit a couple of springs ago I havnt dethatched,  sure could use it.