Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Where are the Gophers?  (Read 44387 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't you have some groceries to unload?  :evil: :moon: :mooning:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: monday morning!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
:scratch: How about soaking somethin in some brine then??  :rolleyes: Like your head!!  :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:            ;)  :laugh: :laugh:     
« Last Edit: January 01/22/22, 08:38:15 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No matter what the outcome, gotta admire the Gophers play today. No quit even tho they are w/o numerous starters.
« Last Edit: January 01/22/22, 12:46:28 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
No matter what the outcome, gotta admire the Gophers play today. No quit even tho they are w/o numerous starters.
:pouty: MEH....................... :evil: :evil: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I see the mailman just went by... :evil: :mooning: :moon:

THEY PULL IT OFF!!!!!! Loewe, Thompson & Willis all played 40 minutes; 2 other guys played 37 minutes each. Willis had 32 pts., made 8 3-pt. shots.
« Last Edit: January 01/22/22, 01:36:55 PM by Dotch »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Those 3 were all hot from the 3 pt line, Gophers did a good job on the boards too.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Different outcome last nite for the Gophers against one of the best teams money can buy in the Big 10. Just let 'em have too many 2nd chance baskets. Otherwise, the stat sheet was surprisingly close. I see IA suffered the same fate at the hands of Purdue as well. They made it interesting towards the end but fell short. The box score on their website gave me an error message so not sure what all transpired at least on the stat sheet. I know at one point they were down something like 20 points.

Jasmine Powell has left the Gopher women's BB program as of immediately. Things ain't looking pretty there. Whalen better hope she can right the ship next year or her days will be numbered. On the flip side, 5'6" guards have been the problem as in too many of them and not enough post players getting precious boards and scoring consistently, same as the men's program this year. Betting if Ben has anything to say about it, that will change in upcoming seasons.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch  :scratch: why did she leave???

I've heard Whalen has one of the best recruiting classes coming in.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not sure why but she started 18 of 19 games. Her stats don't look too bad but I saw one game where she was benched and didn't start. She played but apparently there was an issue or issues. They had a similar situation a few years ago with a guard, Destiny Pitts, who left the team. Whalen is an old school, listen to the coach, hard nosed grinder. Betting it's easy to get in her doghouse if you don't fit that mold.
« Last Edit: January 01/28/22, 08:18:04 PM by Dotch »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, the Hawks couldn't hit their :moon: early & the Boilermakers shot over 60% from the floor & just under that from deep. Hawks were more like 35/30 & that was the difference in the game.
« Last Edit: January 01/29/22, 06:52:22 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I can see that from Whalen but she does have the creds!!! Maybe  this Powell is snotty brat??? :scratch: who knows???

I googled gophers women basketball. If I read between the lines, she struggled in a game and Whalen didn't start her in the second hay. Maybe hurt her feelings?? :scratch:
« Last Edit: January 01/28/22, 08:25:51 PM by glenn57 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Gunner! I placed that one in my sports folder. Now remembering which one it is for sure... :scratch:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: January 01/29/22, 05:38:35 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bucking Fadgers!  :angry: Just not enough horses & some really awful calls especially in the 1st half. Shut my favorite puke, Brad Davison, down in the 2nd half. Scary to think what might happen if this team ever can develop a quality bench... :shocked:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I was hopin they'd pull it off after they tied it up late but their young guard, Davis, took over from there. :pouty:
« Last Edit: January 01/31/22, 07:53:58 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Only battles Iowa won last night was from the 3 pt line & turnovers which wasn't enough in a tough 2 OT loss @ Penn St.  :sad:
« Last Edit: February 02/01/22, 08:35:32 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I see dat. I was in the zone writing last nite so I just heard bits and pieces. Looked like they got outrebounded & didn't shoot particularly well percentage-wise. Played at Penn St. Tough to win there, especially when you need to. The Gophers found that out many times in the Pitino era.

The Gophers play Purdue at The Barn tomorrow nite. Purdue's been on a tear lately & they have two big men vs. the Gopher's none. Curry has played admirably & I'd loved to see them pull an upset. Unfortunately I see foresee a potential drubbing in their future.  :sad:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Purdue's had 4 guys in double figures the last 3-4 games with 1 or 2 of 'em comin off the bench. With their bigs that's tough to beat.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya, that went about how one would've expected. Gophers actually shot fairly well just got outrebounded & lost in the points in the paint dept. No surprise there. They're undersized vs. most of their opponents. Unless you have a whole team full of Jordan Murphy's, that's about what's gonna happen. Purdue is loaded with talent but very beatable. They run into officiating crews that don't appreciate Painter's patented clutch and grab defense and they're in foul trouble quickly or not able to execute because they can't play pattycake. The Gophers got under Trevon Williams skin, exposing him to be a hothead so be curious if other teams exploit that. Gophers still played hard, at one point crawling back to within 7 in the 2nd half. Add some rebounding muscle into the mix and they'll compete with anyone.   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Another one that ended about like one would've guessed. Great 1st half aside from Battle forgetting to show up then things fell apart in the 2nd half. Bench points: IA 17, MN 5. Final score 71 - 59, 12 points. Strange. What are these bench points you speak of?  :scratch: Credit to IA for turning up the D in the 2nd half. Officials also let 'em play in the that half. Grabbing and bumping called in the 1st half wasn't in the 2nd for both teams. Fine, except the Gophers didn't get the memo. Should've been more physical and need to be moving forward.

Should be the easier part of the schedule coming up, at least playing teams with records more similar to their own. Righting the ship would help entice MN recruits on the fence and interest potential players in the portal. Oh for another Jordan Murphy and Reggie Lynch combination...🤔

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Listened to some of it on the way home. Those boys need a win.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Gonna be a long row to hoe, with the portal anybody any good will be moving along. Be teaching spot for those looking for a winning program. This portal thing will turn out to be the worse thing to happen to marginal teams.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Listened to some of it on the way home. Those boys need a win.
damn Roony, your a glutton for punishment. :confused: :doah: I'll watch basketball but listen to it on the radio. Uffda.... You got courage. :rotflmao: :happy1:

Dutchy I totally agree.  :happy1:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I haven't seen all the news about this year's team. Was surprised to heart that they have 11 transfers. Is that right? They had to replace the whole team from last year with no new recruits? That doesn't seem possible.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I haven't seen all the news about this year's team. Was surprised to heart that they have 11 transfers. Is that right? They had to replace the whole team from last year with no new recruits? That doesn't seem possible.

I counted 10 transfers on their roster page Ken but might've missed one.

https://gophersports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Eric Curry hung around because coach Johnson needed a warm body & thought he still had some gas left in the tank, rather than becoming his grad assistant as planned. Ihnen was out due to injury or he could've provided some minutes off the bench. Otherwise none of the players were here last year. Willis played here previously then transferred back here from the College of Charleston. Liked him when he played here under Pitino but he didn't get the minutes he should have. But like Sutherlin, Stephens and Loewe, he'll be gone next year. Have to be impressed that Johnson has done as well as he has. Could be Nebraska with a coach being paid big bucks in the 3rd year of his contract who has produced a 5 - 46 Big Ten record & is 20 - 62 overall in that timespan. Rumblings that Hoiberg's days will be numbered if he doesn't turn it around soon. They should've kept Tim Miles!  :doah:   
« Last Edit: February 02/06/22, 09:31:06 PM by Dotch »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
They all left because they fired Pitino? Hope Johnson has at least a decent recruiting class next season. Yeah, Nebraska at 0-14,  is the only team below Minn. out of 14 teams.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They all left because they fired Pitino? Hope Johnson has at least a decent recruiting class next season. Yeah, Nebraska at 0-14,  is the only team below Minn. out of 14 teams.

That & the cupboard became pretty bare once guys like Kalscheur, Robbins, Mashburn, Johnson & Carr all declared they were entering the portal. There went about 70% of their scoring punch. No school loyalty either when you don't have to sit out a year anymore. Was a little surprised when Brandon Johnson didn't stick around. He didn't declare until later on. He definitely would've fit the mold & could've helped them win some of the games that were close. Played hard. DePaul's record, where he transferred, is 11-10. His mom is an alum there. He's an educated dude so that might've been a factor too.

One of Ben Johnson's reputed strengths at Xavier and UNI was his recruiting. At MN? We shall see. So far, the guy has proved he can coach with a team of spare parts anyway. Might be fun to see what he can do with some actual talent.  :coffee: 
« Last Edit: February 02/07/22, 11:25:23 AM by Dotch »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Are any of the guys left Pitino's recruits?

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Curry and Ihnen. Willis was a transfer student & sat out a year.