Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Where are the Gophers?  (Read 44375 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Not sure if it's all the coaches, but as much if not more spoiled athletes that think there above being told how to play. Then if they get put in place or there feelings hurt they go elsewhere.

Never heard of this 20 years ago. :confused:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
That's because they couldn't transfer except down a division.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Brenda Freese is old school, now. When she first started she was new and exciting, getting the most enthusiasm out of not only her players but the fans as well. At that time at the U, the men's BB program under Dan Monson was floundering and fans were desperate for a winner. She had us packing The Barn, for women's BB for crissake! Unheard of! She was still a my way or the highway coach and she's stuck to her guns over the years. Pam Borton was that way to a lesser extent but did fairly well at recruiting MN kids. Too bad she ran afoul of class AAAA #1 jerk Norwood Teague as athletic director who wanted "his gal" from VCU in as women's BB coach. He also had some under the impression that fellow VCU men's BB coach Shaka Smart might be lured this direction. Instead we wound up with Little Richard & we all know how that went. :rolleyes:

Some kids aren't responding to that kind of discipline anymore and now the transfer portal gives them carte blanche to do whatever they want should they perceive someone has wronged them or the grass is greener. 20 years ago when you transferred, you knew you needed to sit out a year before even thinking about playing. If you could by some odd chance prove a hardship of some sort, death or illness in the family for instance, you could get a waiver and play right away the next season. That was the exception though and not the rule. Now it's become a free for all. The parents bear a large degree of the responsibility. They're kids. Stop trying to be their friend and instead be a parent. Hold kids accountable. When/if that happens, maybe it can be fixed but I'm afraid the genie is out of the bottle. I'm not optimistic about the future of college basketball, men's or women's. :sad: On the flip side, it might mean spending more time outdoors and there's nothing wrong with that.   
« Last Edit: April 04/07/22, 07:26:53 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
The question becomes.....
What is best for the NCAA
What is best for the college
What is best for the kid.
Aren't the kids people and not slaves? Don't they have the right to make decisions about themselves?
This transfer portal is great for the kids. Obviously not for the colleges.
Colleges have to get the right coach and the right kids and there should not be a problem with transfers of starters. I can see kids that are not playing wanting out. Shouldn't they have the right to do that? And not have to sit out a whole season?
« Last Edit: April 04/07/22, 08:28:29 PM by KEN W »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
These coaches don't suddenly overnight forget how to play basketball. Whalen is there for instate name recognition. If the players can't relate to her then she needs assistants to handle practice and in game moves. The problem with most sports these days is the inmates (players) want to run the asylum (programs)

Somebody, somewhere has to draw a line on this practice.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Looked for the Gopher & whoever they were playin ;) :rolleyes: :smiley: game yday but it was only on ESPNU here yday, & that's NOT part of our cable pkg. :bonk: See it ended up 1-0, the Mn St goalie must be as good as they're sayin.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so I'm hearing Mankato took out the Gophers!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Just wacked them. 5-1 including a empty netter. Denver vs Mankato for the championship.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Thought I read where it was 1-0. :bonk: Were you able to watch it, db, & where did you find it?

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
ESPNU.  Channel 788 on Midco up here in the tundra.

Yes the game was on last night. Rodents scored first then got ran over.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I heard Mn St had a really good team & was looking to check it out during the commercials elsewhere but ....................... we don't get that channel. :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i watched the first half of the first period then needed to go to bed. cant shake this damn head cold!!!!!! :surrender: :bs: that goal the gophers scored sure was a pretty one.  :happy1:

yea mankato's, spelling right Mike!! :sleazy: :mooning: :rotflmao: goalie is really good, i heard he could possibly get 3 of the top hockey awards this year including the hobey!!!!!! it was also said there team is about the oldest in NCAA and not any if any are from minnesota. i'll still be pulling for them tomorrow!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I watched most of it until they were down 4 - 1. Was a good Wagon Train on last nite.  :happy1: They looked flat-footed even in the 1st period and stayed that way. Was disappointed but hey, the way they played the first part of the season, I wouldn't have bet they'd get as far as they did. Wish they could get out of the Big 10 but that ain't gonna happen. Thanks fer nuthin' Donnie, ya terd!  :angry: The best they can hope for is to get rid of that insipid Olympic-size sheet of ice and keep grinding.   
« Last Edit: April 04/08/22, 11:56:57 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
If you are a stud high school hockey player why would you enroll at the U to have to play out of state? Who wants to take a trip to Ohio, Pennsylvania to play?

Stay and play in Minnesota for Duluth, Bemidji, Mankato, St. Cloud. Hell, go to North Dakota. The lack of intensity playing in the Big 10 hurts the Gophers plus every in state school wants to pound them more than anybody else. Which they have been doing.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just a stud in high school!!! :happy1: :sleazy: :smoking: :happy1: :moon:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Hey studdley, maybe it's something ya caught in high school that is causing you to not feel well lately. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
 Dryden McKay, Mankato State goalie is the Hobey Baker Award winner.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If you are a stud high school hockey player why would you enroll at the U to have to play out of state? Who wants to take a trip to Ohio, Pennsylvania to play?

Stay and play in Minnesota for Duluth, Bemidji, Mankato, St. Cloud. Hell, go to North Dakota. The lack of intensity playing in the Big 10 hurts the Gophers plus every in state school wants to pound them more than anybody else. Which they have been doing.

No question about it. Not sorry I went to the U when I did because it opened a lot of doors for me, opportunities I wouldn't have had anywhere else in MN agriculture. But, even at the time I was there in the mid-70's & early 80's, it could be an intimidating place with attendance at 55,000, an ugly bureaucracy to deal with at Morrill Hall, and right in the middle of the Twin Cities. Can't imagine how some of the outstate kids might look at it now with all the crime and gun violence.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just read that 2 of the gophers running backs entered the portal to now...........thomas and irving??????/

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
With this portal fiasco (it's just a legal way to pay the players) the U should petition to join the MIAC in all sports.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
With this portal fiasco (it's just a legal way to pay the players) the U should petition to join the MIAC in all sports.
At this point, why even pretend to make D1 athletes take classes?   :confused:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I'm guessing the boys at Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, Clemson don't spend much over 1 hour a day in any class that isn't teaching NFL.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm guessing the boys at Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, Clemson don't spend much over 1 hour a day in any class that isn't teaching NFL.
it be really  interesting to see how many of these athletic scholarship people actually walk out of college with an actual degree............ or even go back and get it after there playing days are over......1%.................

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Hard to argue tho, their entry level NFL contract is more than I made in my life. Seems messed up but thats the way it is. I suppose if I had wanted to make a pile of dough I coulda went into farming.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hard to argue tho, their entry level NFL contract is more than I made in my life. Seems messed up but thats the way it is. I suppose if I had wanted to make a pile of dough I coulda went into farming.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea especially sheep..........just look at all the good stuff dotch has!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :super smiley:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya right. Taxes and a note at the bank with all kinds of junk they own!  :doah: Lucky to have enough money to mail people stuff... :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya right. Taxes and a note at the bank with all kinds of junk they own!  :doah: Lucky to have enough money to mail people stuff... :scratch:
:doah: :shocked: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah.....people complain about what these athletes make. But nobody says a word about what singers and actors make.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: April 04/18/22, 04:36:22 PM by Dotch »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Since he had played at Marquette prior to North Carolina will he have to sit out a year? Will he have 2 year of eligibility left?