Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 12 ga slugs  (Read 1813 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have an Ithaca Deer Slayer with a rifled barrel.  Have had it since the mid 80's.  Love it.  I always use sabots in it.  Used to pay $7 a box for them and we thought wow a dollar a shot.  I just bought the only ones I could find here:  Remington Accu Tip and only 2 3/4" and they were over $21 for a box of 5!  UNREAL!   Gotta have em.  Sure wish I would have hoarded them years ago.  I have to use shotgun when I go to the south part of the state and hunt with my ol buddies.  So it is worth it!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a fair amount on the shelf. The manufacturers and/or retailers are way out of line.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I have an Ithaca Deer Slayer with a rifled barrel.  Have had it since the mid 80's.  Love it.  I always use sabots in it.  Used to pay $7 a box for them and we thought wow a dollar a shot.  I just bought the only ones I could find here:  Remington Accu Tip and only 2 3/4" and they were over $21 for a box of 5!  UNREAL!   Gotta have em.  Sure wish I would have hoarded them years ago.  I have to use shotgun when I go to the south part of the state and hunt with my ol buddies.  So it is worth it!
Same with Turkey loads the last few years. Put them in a new box, call them something special and up the price $15 bucks!  :undecided:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
It' insane. The Winnie .40 cal 180 Gr FMJ's I usually shoot are now $42 a box...up from about $21 or $16.99 on sale two years ago. :censored:

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I can see why the shelf is full of these. $62 for 5 rounds at fleet.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dang I might have to sell some of mine!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that our ammo supply is ramping up to our suppliers (sporting good stores) I've seen first hand what's happening in my area and gotta think it's going on elsewhere as well.

Recent trip to my local gun shop revealed almost empty ammo shelves,the selected caliburs that were out were over the top price wise,as I snooped around they're storage area next to the gun range I was using,the storage shelves were over flowing with ammo product all caliburs/gauges...

My take our gun shops are capitalizing on our need/want for not only home/self defense but also taking advantage of our shooting sports,shop's are price gouging us all,the demand is so great these gun shops are making us pay to play,then put the focus on new gun owners and hoarders.Some of the over stock caliburs these shop's put out,for example,my .45cal last summer hard to come by but for $50/box "how many boxes ya want"

9mm down from $30/box (50 count) to $19.95 - $25/box, prices vary from each store,far cry from two years ago $9.95/box.

yet to see much on store shelves for waterfowl or upland hunters.

Goodluck to deer hunter's looking for specfic brands and caliburs.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
If you need to buy a box, and you can find it, they have you over the barrel.

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to resist a 5-count box of shot shells for $62.  Hopefully that stuff will start gathering dust in their back rooms and they'll eventually put it out on the shelves for what is should cost.

P.S.  My ignorance showing, but...  what do you shoot with 3 1/2" heavyweight TSS 9 shot?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i'm set for shells maybe for 2 years now.  :happy1: :happy1:

as  i wondered through a few stores latley i always meander through the ammo depts. one thing i notices is 22 shells........they have 50 round boxes but no hundy round boxes??????? :scratch: :scratch: and those 50 rounds are the same prices as normally the 100 rounds where.  :pouty: :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
A few years back I bought a box Winchester Long Beards on sale (can you imagine that... ammo on sale  :bonk:) forgetting that I already had a new box from the year before.  :doah:  So now I have a life-time supply of turkey loads (or God willing, I will run out sometime around 2045).

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Highway robbery!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
If you need to buy a box, and you can find it, they have you over the barrel.

Otherwise, it's pretty easy to resist a 5-count box of shot shells for $62.  Hopefully that stuff will start gathering dust in their back rooms and they'll eventually put it out on the shelves for what is should cost.

P.S.  My ignorance showing, but...  what do you shoot with 3 1/2" heavyweight TSS 9 shot?

tss (tungsen super steel) comes in 7 or 9 shot size for turkey hunting tss is none toxic unlike lead,10% heavier than lead pellets and the smaller shot size puts more pellets with more knock down power on target,but it's new and very spendy,plenty of us old timers have taken many birds with 3" lead#5 or 6's.

Here is an example of shot density....which relates to down range kinetic energy,density=weight=longer range kill shots.

steel shot pellets 7.5 g/cc

lead 11.34 g/cc

bismuth pellets 9.6 g/cc

Tss 18/g/cc

I use a load from Hevi shot for coyotes whilst pheasant hunting in western states called "dead coyote" it's a non -toxic pellet eqivilant to lead 4 buck in 3" .12ga these non toxic pellets weight is 12 g/cc better results in the field over copper plated 4 buck lead,kills out to 70 yrds on dogs no problem,I pay extra for the performance,use only a handful whilst bird hunting or night setup's for yotes in western states.
« Last Edit: October 10/07/21, 11:04:04 AM by snow1 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks.  Shot shell technology has come a long way.  I've read how it is becoming all the rage to shoot turks with .410s.  All the improvements to shot and chokes make this possible.