Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Game camera question  (Read 4632 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Have been thinking about getting one more for non-game purposes and in particular for smaller mammals and birds. How small and detailed can these things pick up things like songbirds, mice, etc. placed 20' - 25' from the subject? The reason I ask is I have a squirrel proof roller feeder that something gets into overnight, leaving the sunflower hulls in the main supply compartment. I'm guessing it's deer mice but it could be something like a flying squirrel too. They might be small enough to get up inside of it. The chipmunks used to get in it but I think the cats greased them out a couple years ago. I'd also like to be able to see if hummingbirds are active during the day when we're not around. I think they've flown the coop for this year but that's not to say there couldn't have been some passing thru. My wife will think I'm nuts and she's right!  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Most trail cameras will pick up mice and  birds.   Deadeye has some awesome cameras that he bought online.  The also take videos.  Super clear pictures. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Couple tips

Try to face them away from the sun.
Remove tall weeds from in front of the camera or you  will get 100s of pictures of the weed moving. Be careful.   They can be addicting.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that eagle shot from a gut pile cam?

I love seeing pics of what visits the gut piles.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I really like the cellular ones, for a small fee a month you can have the pics sent dirextly to ur fone 1 or twice a day, and even modify settings on yur phone, real simple to work with all thru ur phone
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What DK said.  We see mice and little birds on ours real good. We check the two we have almost every Sunday.  It is so much fun to see what is out on our property.  We really enjoy it and may even buy a third one.  We have Brownings.  I am curious about the cell ones.  When the snow gets too deep we just wait till spring to see what happened all winter. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,
Last year I bought 5 of the AGI cameras. After seeing the results I bought 4 more this summer.  I continue to be impressed with this trail camera. Here's a couple examples of action and small subjects being photographed.

Not small but good action shot

Action shot

This bird got too close for the camera to focus. It tried to peck it's way into the camera.

No problem with squirrels

Pretty much in your face

No problem with small animals- chipmunk
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Do you have a link to the cameras, Deadeye? Can't find any AGI cams on the web...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's pretty impressive DE!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Do you have a link to the cameras, Deadeye? Can't find any AGI cams on the web...
you gonna set one up towards the neighbor ladies bedroom!!! :tut: :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Doh!!!  :bonk:  Thanks, Gunner!  Now the link won't work... :banghead:
« Last Edit: October 10/08/21, 10:15:04 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sorry for not posting more on the Agitato cameras. Because the cameras are not a known brand I didn't want to recommend them only to find out they blow up in a year or so.  The name is "Agitato" and they are quite cheap at around $67 each in a pack of 4-5.  I bought them off Amazon.  They also might refer to "blazevideo".  They do not have the ability to email pictures. They do have just about every other feature you would use plus some that others do not have.  The day and night pictures are fantastic. Videos are sharp day or night. Battery life is excellent.  I had 5 of them for a year now plus 4 added several months ago and have not had a problem yet so I'm beginning to think reliability isn't an issue.  You can even look at and manage pictures in the color setup screen. I would have only two negatives to report both of which you can setup to work around.  1. In field watch or plot watch mode there is not a setting for "daytime" only. This means you need to occasionally adjust the time so it doesn't take pictures at night.  2. I get some false triggers during hot (85+) windy days. There are several settings the minimize this. A. set PIR (sensitivity) to low, B. Turn off the "side motion detection. (this is a feature that senses movement and preconditions the camera to get ready so if the camera is triggered you don't only get a deer butt).  C. ensure there is minimal heat absorbing items in front of camera.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks! Been thinkin' of getting one for the back 40. Something keeps tripping security light and beam alarm at nite...4-6' up in the air.  :scratch:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Could be birds or insects flying by. 

Bird flying by

I believe the white splotches are dragon flies.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They won't trip or go on if small birds or bugs fly by. I adjusted the sensitivity by tossing a tennis ball thru the beams. I'm thinking it's maybe an owl swooping down for some of those stinky short-tailed shrews or mice that sneak around my yard at nite. Did have a barred owl living in top of my spruce tree for a  couple years.
My early morning Xmas gift two years ago was hearing him hoot an hour before sunrise when I went out on my deck....and being answered by another that was a few houses away. They can really get loud! Pretty neat for being in the city.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty sure what you got on the last two pic's is a flying squirrel.  They come out at night.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: October 10/08/21, 03:25:17 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Rocket J. Skwirrel!  Wow!  :shocked:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Is that eagle shot from a gut pile cam?

I love seeing pics of what visits the gut piles.

Yes it is.  The picture was taken 5 plus years ago.  The camera at the time was over 10 years old at the time.  I still use it once a year on the gut pile.   Its one of the 1st digital moultrie  cameras.   Makes a loud clunk when it takes a picture and has about a 3 second delay.  Also uses D  batteries.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I had one od the firat mouties, 6.0, had infuled.viewer about the size of a stamp! Loved.it
 Very reliable, made chunk wen it took a picture to
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Besides all the options, battery life, ease of use and reliability great pictures in a variety of situations is also key.

Great action day time photos

Also great stop action.

More than half the pictures are taken at night.  Check for blurry moving pictures. Washout in close and fuzzy dim in distance pictures.
Some cameras led flash glows red. Look for ones that are blackout or minimal.

Trigger speed and sensitivity are important.  Nothing wrong with a falling leaf being captured.

Subject and background are clear when subject is close

Subject and background is clear when subject is at a distance

Shade and sunlight are not your friends. Watch for good pictures when partial sun.  See the grouse on the road.

Not sure what this silver fox is looking at.  Probably trying to read the sign.

Great detail on the turkey's shadow

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy, that does have great clarity and definition!