Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: crossbow's  (Read 6068 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anyone one here have one or use one?????

i'm in the very early stages of thinking about selling my compound bow and getting a crossbow. since i'm on a fixed income and a cheap skate i dont wanna pay a whole pile of money for one. think my brother said he paid $1200 bucks for his setup, not going there.

any suggestions????? ones to stay away from????? i'd like a mid range bow that i'd like not to wish i wouldnt of bought but yet one that i'd be happy having forever.

there are 2 reasons right now i'm just starting to think about this, one being i really have no place right now to bow hunt, and 2, looking for and buying it. just not convinced i want to get back into bow hunting yet. my granddaughter and her fiance have asked me about it but havent offered to hunt at there place they hunt..............and i'm not gonna push it!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yea bid i have two, killed a bunch of bear with them they are fun and aweaome!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
3 to 600 can get yu going! Cant remember the brand i have. Think barry has the same
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Ten point i think.
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny how gear companies figure out how to separate you from your money.

Whether you buy a quality rifle, top end compound bow, or good cross bow, they all want $1200 from you.

They don't charge you according to how much it costs to make, they charge you according to how much you are willing to pay.

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I bought one about 2 years ago. Got a Dr exemption because of bad rotator cuffs.
Spoke with a buddy at Archery Country and he said the Ravin is not worth near the money they get for them. Like Steve-O said.
He suggested the 10 point or Centerpoint. For the average person you dont need to spend over $600.
I got the Centerpoint Amped and really like it. Just need to make time to use it more. I got the crank for mine.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Remember if you are over 60 you can use them in any archery season in MN.  I went to look at them and they had a 1 year old Ten Point with a padded cloth case some bolts, scope and other accessories all for $500.  I got to shoot it there and bought it.  Boar had let me shoot one before that. Pretty fun.  I don't use it near enough though.  Thought I would have more time whilst retired but been busy as heck this year.  Maybe use it more next year.  Shot a bear with it.  That was cool as heck!!   

Offline Yellowstone

• Outdoorsman
New member here. My son and I use one during firearms season and the early antlerless/youth season. We really like our's. We can legally hunt with guns on our land but are pretty close to houses and cabins and crossbows are fun! We went budget and got a Centerpoint Tormentor Whisper off Amazon for a just a little over $300. It shoots fast and reliable and knock on wood has been reliable. Centerpoint has a good reputation, I feel, for relatively inexpensive but decent quality crossbows. I know there are much nicer ones out there but we wanted to try it out before we spent more.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Wcome to the forum!! Thanks for posting up!!
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Welcome Yellowstone!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I just bought a new crossbow yesterday. My first crossbow was a used Excaliber Ibex, which is a recurve. I really like the bow except for two things. One, my back's busted up to the point I can't cock it any more with the string cocker. It just hurts my back too much to draw the cocker. Two- it's not a real quiet bow,and although I never tried a shot longer than 20 yards, I have little doubt a deer could jump the string much further out. Because it's not a compound, I give up a little velocity. It's supposed to shoot 285 f.p.s., but I've never put it on radar.

The new bow is a Centerpoint Patriot 415. Compound bow, shorter axial length, and rated for 415 f.p.s. It's sold as a complete package with the bow, mounts and a scope, quiver, three bolts, a string cocker, and more important, a removable hand cranking device. They're on sale at Wal-mart.com for $276.00,usually $348.00. From looking around, I can't find it cheaper anywhere else. I couldn't find any reviews on these bows. I'm sure there's probably better gear out there at the higher price points, but I'm hoping that at my budget, this will get the job done. Most of these "package" scopes are not real high quality, so I plan on swapping out the Hawke scope I put on my Excaliber.  Good luck with your selection. Let us know what you get and how it works out.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So I've been offered a brand new in the box a Barnett Pro Raptor STR crossbow for 300 bucks.

Anyone have any experience with these?? Let's just say the person that offered it to me, her husband passed away unexpectedly a while back and she just found it .  From what I know of the guy he was an experienced outdoorsman

Also, last guy to post here was gophergunner, he hasn't been in in a long time. Anyone heard from him. I know he had some serious health issues.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I think the old Boarski knows a bit about crossbows. 300 sounds like a decent price to me.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't get much for $300 anymore.  Sounds like a fair deal.  I wondered about Gopher too.  If it was hard to cock a crossbow with the rope thing his back must have been real bad.  I have a sort of bad back and it is easy to me.  Hope all is well with him.

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Looked it up online and it seems like a good bow and a fair deal for ya.
You can get the crank for it if you need.
2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Buy it good bow, ive a barnet still one of my faves.
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Do it Glenn! If it puts more fish on da table go for it!  :rotflmao: ;)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Shoot a skunk with it.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I know have in possession a brand new in the box crossbow. :happy1:

Pictures later.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yucould set out trip wire xplosives and it still wouldnt help
78.50"

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
where did you get it? I saw that anyone can now use a crossbow. Not just those over 60.
« Last Edit: June 06/06/23, 05:59:25 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Be very careful with it when shooting. A buddy and I were shooting mine and he had his thumb sticking up a bit and I didn't notice it.  He shot and darn near broke his finger.  Hurt like a  SOB.  Was bleeding and it ended up losing his nail over it.  Be careful.  Mine even has a grip to help keep you from doing that but he didn't know.  I should have warned him.  I saw one of those guys on Drop Zone did it while deer hunting and went to the hospital.   

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Similarly, no one warned me about the dangers of getting your hand in front of the cylinder of a .357 magnum pistol.  When I was a little guy, I shot the gun a couple of times and got tired, so I wrapped my hand around the front of the pistol.  Bad mistake.  We'll, not that bad, but I had a nasty bruise on my thumb from the exploding exhaust gasses escaping and I was done shooting that gun for the day.   :bonk:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ouch!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Double ouch!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I should start shopping for a xbow for the wife now that any can use them.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
where did you get it? I saw that anyone can now use a crossbow. Not just those over 60.
o got it from a private party. a gal who's husband passed away several years ago. she is over on IDO!!!!!!! she didnt even know he had it, still inthe box and needs to be put together yet.

and boar............. :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i know it wont help you either........pretty hard to shoot one of them bolts through 4 enclosed walls with a heater !!!!!  :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Why would yu do that? No wonder yu dont shoot deer
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Why would yu do that? No wonder yu dont shoot deer