Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Medicare supplements  (Read 6263 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just stopped in at an agent here in town and he took care of me.  They get paid from the companies so I don't think there is actually a charge to you for using an agent.  I just picked up some pills and the copay was 0.  I have BC BS now for my supplement.  Had Humana and they were just fine too.  Costs me about $85 a month and that includes the drug thing.  The cost for the main Medicare program comes right out of your SS check.  About $120 a month I think.
« Last Edit: March 03/08/22, 11:18:50 AM by LPS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
as of right now my ins is taken out of my pension checks. i will assume that when i turn 65 years smart  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: that will return to my pension deposits. and the medicare will then be taken from SS??????? i gotz lotz of questions................ :rolleyes: :doah: :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Got to start looking at all the crap coming up. Not sure why someone doesn't come up with a MedSoup like a CarSoup so you can look at and compare all the best plans and costs in one place!!  :doah:  :bonk:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Got to start looking at all the crap coming up. Not sure why someone doesn't come up with a MedSoup like a CarSoup so you can look at and compare all the best plans and costs in one place!!  :doah:  :bonk:
:scratch: https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/#/?lang=en&year=2022  If you go to private company's website & give them ANY personal info get ready to get mail from them for close to a year. :doah:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: After the 5.9% raise in SS everybody got after 1/1, which Medicare got almost 1/2, they take $170/month out of my check.
« Last Edit: March 03/08/22, 07:27:11 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: After the 5.9% raise in SS everybody got after 1/1, which Medicare got almost 1/2, they take $170/month out of my check.

yuppers :pouty:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LPS says "They get paid from the companies so I don't think there is actually a charge to you for using an agent."  On the surface that's probably correct. However, if you were a salesman and worked for two companies one pays you $100 for each client you signup and the other pays $200 which policy/company would you push... Just saying.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57,  Here's the basic info on Medicare part A, B, C, D.  The good thing is you have time to work it out. I think you can (and everyone should) signup for Medicare Part "B" 3 months before and after your 65th birthday. 

Social Security and Medicare are both programs that are household names, but do you know the true difference? Both programs help safeguard millions of Americans as well as improve the quality of life for their family and friends. While Social Security offers retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, Medicare provides health insurance.

Medicare is our country’s health insurance program for people age 65 or older and younger people receiving Social Security disability benefits. The program helps with the cost of health care, but it doesn’t cover all medical expenses or the cost of most long-term care.

When you first enroll in Medicare and during certain times of the year, you can choose how you get your Medicare coverage. There are 2 main ways to get Medicare:

Original Medicare

Original Medicare includes Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Part B (Medical Insurance). If you want drug coverage, you can join a separate Part D plan. To help pay your out-of-pocket costs in Original Medicare (like your deductible and 20% coinsurance), you can also shop for and buy supplemental coverage. Examples include coverage from a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy, or from a former employer or union.

Medicare Advantage (also known as Part C)

Medicare Advantage is an “all in one” alternative to Original Medicare. These “bundled” plans include Part A, Part B, and usually Part D.  Part C plans may have lower out-of-pocket costs than Original Medicare.  They also may offer extra benefits that Original Medicare doesn’t cover — like vision, hearing, dental, and more.

If you can’t afford to pay your Medicare premiums and other medical costs, you may be able to get help from your state. States offer programs for people eligible for or entitled to Medicare who have low income. Some programs may pay for Medicare premiums and some pay Medicare deductibles and coinsurance. To qualify, you must have limited income and resources.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS says "They get paid from the companies so I don't think there is actually a charge to you for using an agent."  On the surface that's probably correct. However, if you were a salesman and worked for two companies one pays you $100 for each client you signup and the other pays $200 which policy/company would you push... Just saying.

He switched me from Humana and to BCBS and I saved 10-15 bucks a month and got better coverage so was a win for me.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: thanks deadeye....... now its not nearly as clear as mud!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

actually helped alot!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
« Last Edit: March 03/09/22, 09:20:35 AM by glenn57 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After seeing my wife struggle to get signed up (with COVID & every other excuse they can dream up not to help, the Austin SS office is worthless as tits on a boar), I'm gonna get started a lot sooner than she did on the project. I'll be 64 in a few weeks. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good idea!!  I started 6 months ahead of time...   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'll be starting my inquiries next week!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm nearly 67 but my wife is 5 years younger so I will keep getting insurance through work until she is eligible for Medicare. I'm thinking we should start talking with the SS people about 8 months in advance to make sure our ducks are in a row.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
After seeing my wife struggle to get signed up (with COVID & every other excuse they can dream up not to help, the Austin SS office is worthless as tits on a boar), I'm gonna get started a lot sooner than she did on the project. I'll be 64 in a few weeks.

I got an ace in the hole.  My wife retired last August so she went through it all plus she worked at Medica for about 17 years and understands the whole Health care deal!  I'm just going to act dumb and say Honey, what do I do?   :confused:   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife checked for me Glenn.  I was paying $105 a month for Humana and they were great.  The reason my agent called was because BCBS improved their coverage and made their drug part better plus it went down in price so I now pay $86 a month.  I was worried that those supplements may be 2 or 3 hundred so was pleasantly surprised how affordable it is.  AND that is through an agent here in town that I had never done business with before.  He set it all up and I came in a few days later and signed the dotted line. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife checked for me Glenn.  I was paying $105 a month for Humana and they were great.  The reason my agent called was because BCBS improved their coverage and made their drug part better plus it went down in price so I now pay $86 a month.  I was worried that those supplements may be 2 or 3 hundred so was pleasantly surprised how affordable it is.  AND that is through an agent here in town that I had never done business with before.  He set it all up and I came in a few days later and signed the dotted line.
:happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a $0 premium AARP Medicare Advantage policy through UHC that's available in my area & I'm eligible for. It does what I need including being accepted up here @ Essentia Health in Deer River. Last I looked it wasn't available in Mn but Humana had something similar.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I got an ace in the hole.  My wife retired last August so she went through it all plus she worked at Medica for about 17 years and understands the whole Health care deal!  I'm just going to act dumb and say Honey, what do I do?   :confused:   :happy1: :happy1:
so just like you do here grilling us experts on hunting and fishing tidbits.  :evil: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

so just like you do here grilling us experts on hunting and fishing tidbits.  :evil: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Well, I may not be that good with some predictions, but I predicted you would be the first one to come by and reply to my post!!   :moon: :moon: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Well, I may not be that good with some predictions, but I predicted you would be the first one to come by and reply to my post!!   :moon: :moon: :rotflmao:
:happy1: glad i could help!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so..anyone else seeing this on the web???? something to do with medicare if your 64 and older about a flex card that gets you groceries etc...for no fee??? or is this just more  :bs:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't click on that one Glenn.  HOAX

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think you can go to Target in downtown Minneapolis and take whatever you want, whether you're on Medicare or not... :whistling:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't click on that one Glenn.  HOAX
:happy1:  :happy1: LIKE!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
so..anyone else seeing this on the web???? something to do with medicare if your 64 and older about a flex card that gets you groceries etc...for no fee??? or is this just more  :bs:
:tut: I get $20/ month on my Advantage plan but it's just for OTC pharmacy stuff, no groceries. Yeah, that sounds like a scam to try & get your personal info to me. :thumbs:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You clicked on it didn't you Glenn.   :confused:   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You clicked on it didn't you Glenn.   :confused:   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
nope!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: i almost did..........but hought i'd ask the panel of experts here first!!!!!! :sleazy:

i was going to call medicare though!!!!!! :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman