Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: GROUSE!  (Read 3356 times)

Offline CAB

• Outdoorsman
I'm going out mid Dec to do some grouse hunting. Just wanted to see how people have been doing this year.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I haven't been out yet. Waiting for a fresh snow.  I saw plenty grouse while in the woods this fall so it should be good.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Include pictures. I haven't been out for grouse in about 7 years now. Maybe pictures will make me jealous.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here's some. I took these on November 5th getting ready for rifle hunting.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
What the heck is that D.E.?  second pic looks like a spruce grouse,they don't count,uneatable...j/k.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I heard a report of good numbers up at the lake from some guys we met at the meat raffle but that was early season. They weren't having the best luck getting many as there was too many leaves on the trees yet. Come to find out they were all staying at a resort on the other end of our lake & said they'd been coming up for it for a long time.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
What the heck is that D.E.?  second pic looks like a spruce grouse,they don't count,uneatable...j/k.
that would be a youngin.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
central minnesota deer hunter's claim good numbers of grouse this year,more grouse in the woods than deer this year.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
that would be a youngin.
The neighbor had 1 of those hangin around his place quite a bit the last month or 2.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline CAB

• Outdoorsman
central minnesota deer hunter's claim good numbers of grouse this year,more grouse in the woods than deer this year.

I'm going to sprinkle in some Rabbit as well so hopefully i come back with some meat in the cooler. I'm mostly just interested in getting out and about.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
that would be a youngin.
The neighbor had 1 of those hangin around his place quite a bit the last month or 2.
we must of had a grouse nest near by the cabin.........had youngins around all summer and fall!!!!!!!!! the ones i seen around the cabin i left alone!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Glenn what dose a grouse nest look like?
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn what dose a grouse nest look like?
personally I've never seen one that I can remember but I think they just make or dig out a little impression in the leaves next to a log????  :scratch:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
The Ruffed Grouse's nest is a simple, hollowed-out depression in leaves on the forest floor, reaching up to 6 inches across and 3 inches deep. Females build the bowl-shaped nest and typically line the bowl with vegetation that they pluck from the edge of the nest site.

found this looking it up, good pic's too
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Thanks mike. I knew glenn didnt know..
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline CAB

• Outdoorsman
Well just found out I need to have my temp driver license from MN for 60 days before being able to buy tags as a resident  :pouty:$103 is not in the cards for me and the 72 hour option for nonres is $76....that's a bit much! Looks like it will be rabbit hunting on my Birthday instead in Feb

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, at that rate, the $/lb of grouse meat ain't worth it - especially if you aren't certain about picking a patch of woods that holds birds.

But with all this good weather, it would be great to get out and scout for next years small game and deer season.

Good luck.

Offline CAB

• Outdoorsman
Yeah, at that rate, the $/lb of grouse meat ain't worth it - especially if you aren't certain about picking a patch of woods that holds birds.

But with all this good weather, it would be great to get out and scout for next years small game and deer season.

Good luck.

Thanks and yup exactly, I'm going to do a little bit of walking around and see what I find.