Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Treble hooks.  (Read 3201 times)

Online tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
I got my new Mepps and Mr. Twister catalogs in the mail today. The Mepps catalog is fun to look at but I don't use treble hooks. Not sure why I don't like them. If you offered me $1,000 if I could find a treble hook in any of my tackle boxes or bags, I'd walk away poor.
Anyone else not use treble hooks?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I got treble hooks on all of my 40 daredevils and not sure how many winter jigs!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
always used them...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you ever have difficulty or problems with hook removal?
Maybe part of my problem is, being a fly tyer, I can't imagine tying an olive wooly bugger on a treble hook.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sometimes yes and even got a couple in my hand!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  ya learn..

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
With the pile of  rapalas in my box , I can't see them with single hooks..not a chance.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you ever have difficulty or problems with hook removal?
Maybe part of my problem is, being a fly tyer, I can't imagine tying an olive wooly bugger on a treble hook.
yea i dont see a need for treble hooks on flies!!!!!! :scratch:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I was cleaning a trout one time and I stuck my finger under the gills to rip the guts out.  My finger pricked what felt like a bone in the wrong place.  I was just about to give it a yank when I thought that something wasn't right.  I started to pick around with my knife and found a teeny-tiny treble hook lodged in its gullet.  I dodged a painful bullet.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
T.T such a different application,flies vs inline spinners,besides I doubt they make a tiny treble one could ty to a #20 dry fly nymph.

verticle jigging these days using a jiggin "rap" one is better off upgrading the factory trebs a couple sizes larger to stick the finicky walleyes,doing so increases you catch rate regardless if you practice "cpr".

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The hook gap on that treble I almost pushed into my finger was no wider than a #16.  My guess it that fisherman was probably angling with a glob of worms.

I reckon some tyer could conceive of a small articulate streamer that hides a small treble hook in the tail, but with so many catch-and-release fly fishermen, using treble hooks is counterproductive.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agree steve-o,most if not all major trout streams today are barbless,most die hard trout ppl are pro "cpr" as you stated,have yet to see a barbless treble,but I have seen inlinespinners on the northshore streams (trebles outlawed) with a single barless hook during fish run's.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't think barbless hooks are required for trout fishing in MN or WI, but many in the fly fishing community encourage their use.

Fishing small sized flies, I don't think having barbed hooks makes it that much more difficult to release.

I have heard that some folks prefer barbless hooks because of easier hook sets - you don't have to push the barb thru.  If you play the fish correctly, you won't loose many fish for lack of barb.

Probably the biggest benefit to barbless hooks comes when you stick one in your own thumb.  :happy1:

Online tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
I do use some barbless hooks on some flys. Sometimes, if needed, I just pinch the barbs down.
Years ago I had a few Rapalas. I pulled in one fish that had a barb hook in each lip and one in the eye. Haven't used barb looks since. Not even when using a dough bait for catfish.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i have often thought of bending the barbs on my hooks, but never do!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch: it would defiantly help in the event ya got one in your body parts.

when i went to Manitoba fishing a couple times, barbless hooks are required there, i really noticed how much easier it was to remove the hook from fish and losing fish was not an issue at all!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Removing a barbed hook from skin.  The trick is to push down at the eye of the hook and pull back sharply rearward with a line thru the bend of the hook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciniriJ1j2E

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
used that one Steve-o, it works well when done right..

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I've seen it done once and I performed the operation on someone else once - successfully.   ;)

I gave him the old,  "I'll go on three.   One... two... "  *YANK*

and it was out before he realized.  ;D

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had to use that method on myself and the wife. All in the same winter too. It does work nicely.
Hey look your bobber is up!