Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Allow the keeping of walleyes  (Read 2272 times)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Has the native no limits forced the DNR to keep the no possession limit for the rest of us. Will they ever allow us to keep say 4 walleyes? Or will it stay this way forever. Would take the pressure off of Red Lake if they opened it up.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Wrong page.....should be under Mille Lacs. Will move there. Can't find the delete thread options.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Wrong page.....should be under Mille Lacs. Will move there. Can't find the delete thread options.
maybe if Dotch woke up from his nap he could nix it.  :pouty: :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Or HD!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Glenn this dose t pertain to yu, yu dont even cat h anything to.keep
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Glenn this dose t pertain to yu, yu dont even cat h anything to.keep
:confused: :pouty: Dooto!!

Don't you need to wash dishes!! :rotflmao: :mooning:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
In regards to Red Lake, the Red Lake Band doesn't care how many Walleye you take from the lake. When you catch what they don't net they will have the Minnesota DNR reload (stock) it again.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought they could only net on Lower Red Lake.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
So does the DNR figure since the natives will get them anyway. Might as well let the limit at 4 for the rest of us?

Why not do the same on Mille Lacs, since they net there also.
« Last Edit: March 03/13/22, 07:16:10 PM by KEN W »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The URL limit & slot is set by a board every Spring made up of outfitters, DNR, & natives based on creel & DNR netting surveys. Most of what I've read in the last 5-10 years says that nearly 3/4 of the fish taken from the lake are taken through the ice. :rolleyes: The natives change their quota to reflect all harvest through the ice too, I believe. :scratch:
« Last Edit: March 03/13/22, 07:33:02 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I should add that they meet again late in the fall every year to re-assess & adjust the regs, if needed, for the upcoming hardwater season as well.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I read all of those game warden books by Calice the guy that used to be here.  When the natives netted before he would see them in cars heading to the Falls and their rear bumpers were almost dragging cuz their cars were so full of walleyes.  Was a daily occurrence I believe.  I hope they clean their acts up.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
gunner....I gave up on our mille lacs issue after years of brain damage as I  grew up on mille lacs (isle),what harvest is agreed upon by both sides at these public round table meetings is just talk no bite on mille lacs,for example in the begining years of both native and non -native (we non natives born here just like our native friends) agree to x numbers/lbs of walleye plus incidental species like perch,pike,muskie etc.

We have video's of natives,mostly tribes from wisc (6 tribes) loading totes of unchecked/weighed walleyes from they're $20k fishing boats to waiting trucks w/o a leo in sight,our dnr are suppossed to over see this operation but were mostly vacant from the public accesses we monitored,then we have evidence of incidental species being disgarded like garbage as to not count against individual tribes allotment.

Red lake reservation is soverign unlike mille lacs,not open to other native tribes unless invited is my understanding,I've read a report from a white earth tribal member that claimed they were invited by the red lake tribe to nett walleyes as the URL  rez fishermen were allowed 10 waleyes daily hook-n-line which didn't help they're cash flow once the red lake commercial fishery re-opened to walleye harvesting/netting,white earth tribal member said his one boat averaged 300lbs of walleye daily @1.50/lb

This is a picture of one ghost gill nett,this is what happens when the natives set gill netts before complete ice out,this particular spring natives lost 13 gill netts to changing wind and ice flow,these ghosts float around catching/killing 100's of walleyes and other species that don't count against tribal allotment but effects we non-natives over all harvest.

second pic is native tote,no slots for gill netting,this when our non native slot was 14-16"s walleyes,so you see we so called non-native tax paying,license buying sportsmen/women get the short end of the stick.I've got more pics,one is a pile of dead uncleaned walleyes off hey 169 one spring,another dump of dead rotting walleyes on hwy 23,right in the middle of the road for all to see...sad deal.
« Last Edit: March 03/14/22, 11:18:13 AM by snow1 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
URL was the only place we went when I was little. Got this place in late '63- early '64 & still fished URL at least once every trip up here, 5-6 times a year, until after Dad retired('84). Even then we'd go up there 2-3 times a year until it crashed.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
URL was the only place we went when I was little. Got this place in late '63- early '64 & still fished URL at least once every trip up here, 5-6 times a year, until after Dad retired('84). Even then we'd go up there 2-3 times a year until it crashed.

Agreed what a travesty,I'm surprised URL hasn't crashed again by now with the native commercial fishery still going hot n heavy,but as stated above our dnr will keep stocking  like early days during the crappie boom years.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I never fished ML, ever, always too many people for us, but have heard all sides of that issue many times. Usually, it would end with 1 side getting really PO'ed so I don't like to take part in any discussions about what has gone wrong there.  :pouty: :tut:
« Last Edit: March 03/14/22, 11:20:16 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I never fished ML ever, always too many people for us, but have heard all sides of that issue many times. Usually, it would end with 1 side getting really PO'ed so I don't like to take part in any discussions about what has gone wrong there.  :pouty: :tut:

Agreed,I sat in these round table meetings,the P.O'd folks are mostly locals losing they're lively hood,I mean why bother fishing mille lacs these days can't keep anything except smallies,slot pike or "cpr" muskies.Even jumbo perch are few,keepers today seem to run 10-12"s folks call jumbo's,old days our catch was 12-14'ers.

nothing wrong with 10 to 12" perch good eats.