Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Shingles or metal roofing  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
At the lake we have a fairly small porch that runs off the cabin probably 16 ×48 . Un insulated but at times see's some heat from a pot belly stove. The bro and I shingled it about 15 years ago which wasn't bad but I ain't no spring chicken anymore. 1 skylight to go around and the vent stack for the pot belly is about the only cuts needed. Metal roofing looks great, although the cost difference is huge the way it looks online.  I do like the idea of metal, just not sure if my knees can handle another shingle job.  Any pointers of either?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
At the lake we have a fairly small porch that runs off the cabin probably 16 ×48 . Un insulated but at times see's some heat from a pot belly stove. The bro and I shingled it about 15 years ago which wasn't bad but I ain't no spring chicken anymore. 1 skylight to go around and the vent stack for the pot belly is about the only cuts needed. Metal roofing looks great, although the cost difference is huge the way it looks online.  I do like the idea of metal, just not sure if my knees can handle another shingle job.  Any pointers of either?
when my parents added on to the cabin years ago, they resided the whole building and put steel on the roof. We love it. They just put the steel over the old shingles!!

As long as you don't have any trees fall on it...  :shocked: :rolleyes: should be good forever!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's the catch,  I have to pull up a few rows of shingles against the grain to replace a piece of plywood.  Maybe I can stop there and put metal down, not sure. If I have to pull it all up I  can.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I would pull them all, less weight... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I recently had my second story flat roof with a deck on top replaced,rubber membrane on the roof under the small deck 12x15 sprung a leak,roof was 20 years old,any way our last hail storm helped me with the funds to replace the roof and deck,after my deck was demoed/removed we decided to raise the roof with more pitch using 8x's rather than the exsisting 2x6's,more pitch elminated the step down onto the replacement deck,I laid down steel roofing under the new deck,figure this will last a lifetime,had to fight the city to put a steel roof on my pole barn,got'er done tho,best thing I ever done,come winter the snow just slides off,this steel covering under the deck will allow snow melt to run away from the house with no worries of ever leaking.

feels good to have this completed,steel roof will out last my old age and then some.

« Last Edit: June 06/08/22, 08:12:34 AM by snow1 »